Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on February 29, 2012, 11:13:48 AMBenny, the GAA public ARE NOT INTERESTED !!!!!.
The games are nice little exhibitions by the interested players and the Traditionalists want them kept because they don't want ANYTHING to change .
The GAA public is not bothered as they have little identification with the Provinces ( except for a small few clannish Munster types and the paranoid Ulster bies) and they know that there is no real bite, elation or disappointment involved.
End of story.Personally I don't care whether they keep them or not,   as in common with most GAA people I am disinterested, but they do take up valuable weekends which could be used for real games between real teams.
As for having it the All Ireland weekend... how many people actually attend those 7 a side thingys anyway?

Well, nearly 3,000 people were interested on Sunday!

How did it take up valuable weekends? The NFL will be finished at the same time as last year (even with the semis), club finals on St Patricks day as usual, championship starts at same time. What competition were disrupted because of the Railway Cup? None!

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on March 01, 2012, 12:30:16 AM

How did it take up valuable weekends? The NFL will be finished at the same time as last year (even with the semis), club finals on St Patricks day as usual, championship starts at same time. What competition were disrupted because of the Railway Cup? None!

3,000 from an Ulster "GAA friendly" population of around 1 million. How many travelled from Munster I wonder.
2,860 was official attendance.
How many NFL games could have been played last 2 weekends and avoid having 4 games in 4 successive weekends which has to have a negative effect on attendances.
As for NFL Semis .... for f**** sake . Next we'll have quarter finals ... and then why not a round of 16 as well .  ::)
Mid Louth -- I don't sit around talking sh1te in Committees - I'd  be out doing things.
Only place I express opinions ( sensible ones in my view  :D) is here in GAABoard.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2012, 02:16:12 PM

3,000 from an Ulster "GAA friendly" population of around 1 million. How many travelled from Munster I wonder.
How many NFL games could have been played last 2 weekends and avoid having 4 games in 4 successive weekends which has to have a negative effect on attendances.
As for NFL Semis .... for f**** sake . Next we'll have quarter finals ... and then why not a round of 16 as well .  ::)
Mid Louth -- I don't sit around talking sh1te in Committees - I'd  be out doing things.
Only place I express opinions ( sensible ones in my view  :D) is here in GAABoard.

Semis are fantastic. Their removal took an edge out of the league structure. Obviously they should be two semi finalists each from an amalgamated D1 and D2, though. 4/7 in one division is a little silly, to say the least. I just hope the brass are using the semis this year as a transitional phase towards going back to 1A/B divisions, it'll help elevate plenty of teams by playing better opposition as well as freshening up what's become a league that's a little stagnant at the top end.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

The four week gap in NFL fixtures tells me it's going to go ahead again  :-\
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on March 01, 2012, 09:56:37 PM

Semis are fantastic. Their removal took an edge out of the league structure. Obviously they should be two semi finalists each from an amalgamated D1 and D2, though. 4/7 in one division is a little silly, to say the least. I just hope the brass are using the semis this year as a transitional phase towards going back to 1A/B divisions, it'll help elevate plenty of teams by playing better opposition as well as freshening up what's become a league that's a little stagnant at the top end.

f**k no way, 1A 1B 2A 2B elavates all you counties underserving of division 1 status. Earn it like Mayo has, division 1's longest surviving member. Let the riffraff climb up not demean the top counties.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 12, 2012, 07:06:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 01, 2012, 09:56:37 PM

f**k no way, 1A 1B 2A 2B elavates all you counties underserving of division 1 status. Earn it like Mayo has, division 1's longest surviving member. Let the riffraff climb up not demean the top counties.

Semi finals for division of eight teams is daft.

DuffleKing

Sure that's pure madness. Playing the railway cup overseas makes it more attractive for the players but that isn't the issue. The challenge is to make it more attractive tothe ordinary GAA supporter.

If we are serious about promoting the games internationally we are far better served playing national league or championship games there

Zulu

Makes perfect sense to me. The RC is a non event in Ireland so if you're going to invest in it why not give the players a nice trip and promote the game internationally? I'm a member of an international club and it would be great for us to bring our kids to see these games and it would be the occasion in which we could build a major promotional and fundraising drive around.

By playing it abroad the RC can retain dome relevance and even achieve some good, playing it at home is just flogging a dead horse.

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 22, 2012, 08:51:51 AM

Sure that's pure madness. Playing the railway cup overseas makes it more attractive for the players but that isn't the issue. The challenge is to make it more attractive tothe ordinary GAA supporter.

If we are serious about promoting the games internationally we are far better served playing national league or championship games there

To be honest I think the only people that care about it are the players themselves so I see no harm in playing it overseas. The GAAIs based largely on tribalism and identity and that is hard to create at inter provincial level and so supporters don't care much for the result. I'll guarantee not too many people could even name the last few winners.

rodney trotter

Quote from: yellowcard on November 22, 2012, 10:51:44 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 22, 2012, 08:51:51 AM

To be honest I think the only people that care about it are the players themselves
so I see no harm in playing it overseas. The GAAIs based largely on tribalism and identity and that is hard to create at inter provincial level and so supporters don't care much for the result. I'll guarantee not too many people could even name the last few winners.

Seems to be only Ulster who give it 100% attention.. There is never any time for it, between club and County and then college football.

Its a great competition if it had a schelduded time on the GAA calendar. The final was played in Paris one year in November and it was a succees

fearbrags

A great idea , It would be held in the middle of  the North Texas Irish festival . So  there would be large crowd there ( unlike other allstar games  etc who just attract a small Irish crowd
Must of the crowd would be Americans who have never seen the sports

Eamonnca1

There's talk of bringing more high profile games to the states too, such as the national league finals.  If the Irish public isn't going to fill Croke Park for the finals then you might as well take them to an audience that'll appreciate them.  I say bring the NHL final to Indianapolis. The Indy hurling club (one of the biggest in the USA at over 200 members) have a track record of publicizing the game beyond the traditional GAA audience. If anybody can generate popular interest in an event it's the Indy club.

Orchardman

i like the railway cup and wish it was a success, but what about these crowds in the states? how many have ever bothered to turn up to all star game, maybe 1,000?

What was this success in paris someone mentioned? it was in paris and rome around 8 years ago, and no body turned up