My Letter to the Irish News about the 'Occupy' protests

Started by ExcellentDriver, November 06, 2011, 04:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Declan on November 08, 2011, 03:56:04 PM
QuoteI disagree with the majority of that Declan. I know self made millionaires in Ireland who took the chance and dreamed big and did everything they could to make it happen.

Fair enough - I know plenty of lads who have done well for themselves as well and I wouldn't classify them in the same bracket - Look at the headline again
Intelligence? Talent? No, the ultra-rich got to where they are through luck and brutality.

QuoteLocal businesses see it, barbers, butchers, restaurants, super markets, churches...it all trickles down

The evidence doesn't support that trickle down effect Iceman - look at the stats again in the article

Your point re begrudgery I think is a separate discussion but there's a reason people are "occupying" places across the world and it's not because they've been brainwashed or are lazy good for nothing hippies etc. They are becoming aware that the game is rigged and are complaining against the basic injustice of it all - As Geroge Carlin famously said - Its called the American Dream because you'd want to be asleep to believe it!!

Bullsh1t. Look at the people protesting in London, they are professional activists ::) and have never worked a day in their life. They would be better off playing the game than complaining about it but then again that would entail them actually doing something other than complaining.

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2011, 02:11:32 PM
I disagree with the majority of that Declan. I know self made millionaires in Ireland who took the chance and dreamed big and did everything they could to make it happen.
I make decent money in the U.S and always have made good enough money in any job I have worked in. None of it is by birth, or by exploitation of others. I'm not overly intelligent, I am not in any cliques or groups, I wouldn't be a good 'ole boy. And there are 1000s of us out there.

I remember being told by someone growing up that if you are rich someone else is living without. What a pile of shite.
The best thing you can do for poor people is not be one of them. If you have money you don't keep in a big stash in your mattress. Local businesses see it, barbers, butchers, restaurants, super markets, churches...it all trickles down.

I'll tell you what sickens me is the Irish begrudgery.

If I came home to Armagh tomorrow, broke and down on my luck I would have people lining up to pity and help me. Great fella there, God love him home from America without a penny. But if I come home with any sniff of success, and sign of doing well for myself, few people have anything good to say about you. Cnut home from America thinks he is the big shot.

And it isn't just people coming home with money. It's anybody at home who has money. They are begrudged. Business owners who have done well for themselves, shower of tramps.....

Some people are only happy when they are miserable and every else is too.

9 of the richest 50 people in history lived in the USA in the 1830s. 3 of the worlds current richest men were born within 3 years of each other in the same valley. It is called Silicon Valley. Some were talented and worked hard without question, but they simply caught a wave 99.9% of us will never see. Source: Outliers -The Story of Success. (No doubt TO will claim it was written by a Commie).

Look at Bernie Madoff. He was simply a bully. His staff and clients were petrified of him. Crazy as it sounds, that, and some irrelevant finance qualification, was all he had going for him.

You are part of a pyramid scheme. If you get to the top you can make serious money as long as your are smart enough to get out in time. If not you will be spat out like an X-Factor contestant.

MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2011, 05:11:12 PM
9 of the richest 50 people in history lived in the USA in the 1830s. 3 of the worlds current richest men were born within 3 years of each other in the same valley. It is called Silicon Valley. Some were talented and worked hard without question, but they simply caught a wave 99.9% of us will never see. Source: Outliers -The Story of Success. (No doubt TO will claim it was written by a Commie).

Look at Bernie Madoff. He was simply a bully. His staff and clients were petrified of him. Crazy as it sounds, that, and some irrelevant finance qualification, was all he had going for him.

You are part of a pyramid scheme. If you get to the top you can make serious money as long as your are smart enough to get out in time. If not you will be spat out like an X-Factor contestant.

This is why you are so mad????

What are you even talking about Muppet? You are grabbing at straws, try to stay focused here for a second and make some coherent points.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tyrones own

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2011, 05:14:46 PM

What are you even talking about Muppet? You are grabbing at straws, try to stay focused here for a second and make some coherent points.
This is what happens when he shows his hand....incoherence!
...no you'll have to wait to one of his peers makes some kind of an
argument that he can then piggy back to try to appear smart,
more often smart arsed than smart though in fairness
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

thebigfella

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 08, 2011, 05:22:46 PM

This is what happens when he shows his hand....incoherence!
...no you'll have to wait to one of his peers makes some kind of an
argument that he can then piggy back to try to appear smart,
more often smart arsed than smart though in fairness

He's over at Politics.ie mining his response as you speak  ;)

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 08, 2011, 05:00:07 PM
Ok now were getting down to the point of where its blatantly obvious that you
once again are over your head and have no clue as to how to even make a point
...merely humming along with the choir here in a big boy conversation
in yet another attempt to show how smart you are...not!
What if (for a third time) I was to let you in on the wee secret that none of the three of us work on Wall St...how does that factor in to your non answer?

Just for your benefit, believe me I am not under the impression that any of you 3 are Jamie Dimon & co..  ;D

The argument here is that Wall Street does not create wealth. It simply takes it off the saps and passes to a few bullies. Wall Street did create wealth decades ago when it was the source of funding for real businesses, that made real stuff, mainly in the USA.

After decades of LBOs, Junk Bonds, CDOs etc it is now just a pretentious version of Vegas.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

You are the one boasting about how successful you are and then whinging about Irish begrudgers. I can assure you I am not even remotely bothered by you or Wall Street. This is a discussion, that's all.

As for the points being made, do you seriously not have the foggiest idea what Declan and I are talking about? Seriously?

Or are you doing a Tyrone's Own and just rant? Do you people take classes in this or something?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 08, 2011, 03:41:33 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 07, 2011, 11:40:10 PM
Actually, my news source of choice is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
The Daily show is for teenagers and gobshites who don't realize its purely satirical.... and em, you're no teenager  ;)
...explains the level of smug ignorance really.

Oh really?

The Iceman

I'm not boasting about anything. I don't like to be categorized by Muppets because I have done alright for myself. I don't like to be labelled a bully, an extortionist or have claims made against me that I was born into my situation or manufactured it some way or other.

You are not making any coherent points that is why I have asked you to clarify or make sense of what you are ranting about.

Quoting Gladwell's latest book (if you have read it) doesn't provide the answers. He is one person with one opinion. His ideas on creating a society that provides opportunity for all are wonderful, but does it not exist already? Are the laws of success not the same for everyone? He labels circumstance, cultural background and opportunity as attributes of success. He also admits that some people earn and deserve their success.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
I'm not boasting about anything. I don't like to be categorized by Muppets because I have done alright for myself. I don't like to be labelled a bully, an extortionist or have claims made against me that I was born into my situation or manufactured it some way or other.

You are not making any coherent points that is why I have asked you to clarify or make sense of what you are ranting about.

Quoting Gladwell's latest book (if you have read it) doesn't provide the answers. He is one person with one opinion. His ideas on creating a society that provides opportunity for all are wonderful, but does it not exist already? Are the laws of success not the same for everyone? He labels circumstance, cultural background and opportunity as attributes of success. He also admits that some people earn and deserve their success.

If you are talking about Outliers that is not what the book is about. It is analysis not a proposal. He does't even pretend to provide answers, he merely strips bare a few illusions.

Meanwhile, you really are way way off the point here. No one here is labeling you a bully or an extortionist. Unless of course you are Bernie Madoff. We are pointing out that the likes of Madoff and company are not simply the hard-working geniuses some people, particularly themselves, would have us believe they are. The corollary is also true.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Well you have implied so far throughout your points that "if you're not with us you're against us"
I don't agree with the protests whatsoever and as a result I have fallen victim to your labels.

Correct me if i am wrong....... maybe your statements were not directed at me...

Gladwell's analysis isn't just a statement of facts. He writes and compiles his information with a deliberate purpose. He is by no means a neutral and his ongoing commentary throughout the book would indicate that.

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2011, 06:07:54 PM
Well you have implied so far throughout your points that "if you're not with us you're against us"
I don't agree with the protests whatsoever and as a result I have fallen victim to your labels.

Correct me if i am wrong....... maybe your statements were not directed at me...

Gladwell's analysis isn't just a statement of facts. He writes and compiles his information with a deliberate purpose. He is by no means a neutral and his ongoing commentary throughout the book would indicate that.

The 'if you are not with us you are against us' mantra is quoting the Neo-Cons.

Tell me when Gladwell has a chapter on age cutoffs affecting the development of future sports professionals, or a chapter on the Avianca air crash in New York which outlines cultural differences to authority, how does that fit an anti-Republican agenda?
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2011, 05:40:59 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 08, 2011, 05:30:24 PM

::) ::)

You should try books.
Or a dictionary...oops to late, ...Corollary, great word Muppet!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 08, 2011, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2011, 05:40:59 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 08, 2011, 05:30:24 PM

::) ::)

You should try books.
Or a dictionary...oops to late, ...Corollary, great word Muppet!

You are like a child with a rattle. You get your attention and you are happy. 

Here, have some more attention.  ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017