Brian McGuigan and Phillip Jordan announce their retirement

Started by muppet, November 01, 2011, 08:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

I wish Brian and Philip all the best on their retirement from county football. They both played a big role in Tyrone's All-Ireland successes and no doubt will be missed.

On a side note, is a duck's foot not orange?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2011, 09:23:25 PM
Two cheating hoors, tbf.

McGuigan got Gregory McCartan sent off in Ulster final 2003.
Jordan got Marsden sent off in AI final 2003.

Not that I care. Two brilliant players. Good luck to both.

It sounds like you care!  ;D

NaomhBridAbú

ever heard the joke about Pedro the sheepshagger?

It is fair to say that Philip Jordan was one of the most consistent performers in a 3 time all-ireland winningTyrone Team. A team that changed the way football was played. He was an amazing footballer, athlete, and sportsman. He gave everything to the county and the code for well over a decade. He stands out amongst even his peers, and should be missed by anyone who enjoys gaelic football.

McGuigan wasnt too bad neither - a genuis with more than a small amount of the oul fellas magic. His return to form after two horrific injuries shows the character of the man. I hope that he gets a few more years with his club - ardboe fans deserve to seem him
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

leaveherinsir

Ciaran Gourley hanging up the boots also according to BBC Sport.  Dont think he has featured much in the last couple of years tho.

Put Her Dead

Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 03, 2011, 08:52:02 PM
Ciaran Gourley hanging up the boots also according to BBC Sport.  Dont think he has featured much in the last couple of years tho.

There goes Tyrone's championship ambitions, Ciaran Gourleys gone ;)

Tyrone have a ready made replacement for Brian Mc Guigan in Peter Harte, shouldn't be too hard for them to find a 'defender' who can bomb forward and then come back and join in the swarm to replace Jordan (not taking away from Jordan though, he was tremendous at what he done) but as for Gourley he will never be replaced.  ::)

imtommygunn

Gourley gave a lot for his county so I think you're a bit harsh. Any player starting in an AI team isn't too bad in my book. Decent fella too from what I recall.

McGuigan never really reached the height of his powers post 2003 due to injury really which was a pity. He always seemed to be battling with it and looked to be back to near his best last year but he had to put in the work for it after his injuries. You get these players every now and again who were born to play CHF and he was one of them.

Jordan was very good - second only to Tomas O'Se of late in the attacking wing half back mode. One of few people to put Galvin in his pocket. Saw him in a very average queens freshers team in 99 against a star studded jordanstown team and it was obvious even when his team were getting hammered that he was a class act.

Harte has a long way to go yet - more of a wing half forward I think. Always thought Mulgrew would replace McGuigan but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to have happened.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Nothing much more to be said, two of the very best, whom we were blessed to have. Their clubs have been much happier places over the last few days no doubt.

Unfair about Ciarán Gourley -- only for him Down would almost definitely have beaten us in the Ulster in 2003, and things most definitely would have been different... gave fantastic service too over the years.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

johnpower

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 03, 2011, 11:04:14 PM
Nothing much more to be said, two of the very best, whom we were blessed to have. Their clubs have been much happier places over the last few days no doubt.

Unfair about Ciarán Gourley -- only for him Down would almost definitely have beaten us in the Ulster in 2003, and things most definitely would have been different... gave fantastic service too over the years.

Two great players who will be hard replaced . Both displayed real natural footballing talent at the highest level Best of luck to them both in the future

passedit

Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2011, 09:23:25 PM
Two cheating hoors, tbf.

McGuigan got Gregory McCartan sent off in Ulster final 2003.
Jordan got Marsden sent off in AI final 2003.

Not that I care. Two brilliant players. Good luck to both.

A valid point HS, ye'd wonder why people are still moaning about one and not the other*.Can't blame either of them for their actions, not nice but few would have behaved differently. Mc Guigan in his prime was pure class, more important to his team than his Da to his  imo.

Maybe because the non cooking apples realise that neither situation would have arisen if the other parties had shown a tiny bit more cop on.
Don't Panic

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 03, 2011, 11:04:14 PM

Not only that FoSB, our Derry friend may remember the quarter final in Ulster that year when the inbreds were twenty minutes from knocking Tyrone out. Gourley and McMenamin were introduced and the rest is history.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orchardman

Good luck to gourley, certainly can't remember him doing anything controversial to annoy armagh people. Was a good solid corner back, had big problems with injuries but has the 3 medals. Said in the gaelic life paper today (never usually get it, full of crap) that kyle coney is going to oz as well and will be missing. Anyone know is this a year out working or is it anything to do with going back to the sydney swans?

Club Rossa

Kyle Coney is coming back in January,just out for a holiday.

orangeman

Gourley was a great player - one of the unsung heros who when given a job to do by Harte did it quietly and effectively.

Great servant to Tyrone.

Agent Orange

Good luck to the lads who are retiring,  some of these lads are irrreplaceable. I think if Tyrone need to start with a clean sheet and sadly that means getting rid of their manager, they don't have to look too far to see that nostalgia can be a bitch.

Moortown Spuds

Armagh people do some whinging, reminds me of the English soccer fans. Maradona cheated us out of the world cup. Get over it you orange bastids! :P