Origin of the card game 25

Started by maddog, October 24, 2011, 11:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Still no sign of the origin of 25...

Evil Genius

And I nominate Mornington Crescent - I win!

P.S. Best tip I was ever given for 25 was to play your second card first.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

The Boy Wonder

"It's nice to be at home when a visitor calls" .....when you beat someone who has slipped across a trump.
"Never send a boy on a man's errand" .....when someone crosses a low-value trump.
"The deuce of diamonds won Ballyfin".....local lore.

maddog

Ziggy90 i think you have just been trumped

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: under the bar on October 25, 2011, 09:44:32 AM
That seems a strange rule mayo4sam as up here u would usually only lead with trump to force the high man to play trump as well (thus allowing someone else to beat his card) or simply to wreck the board if you have no other trump yourself?  Whats the thinking behind it?

I think the idea is if you have a lot of the cards out that sporting gets the game going.
Farr, there's a sport when you have 5 singles or 4 partners is how we play it.
But sure in the house we play with the joker as top of the house & ace of spades to rob it

Auction 15 & 110 are great games.

"spots count" - when you have the 6 to beat the 7 of spades (eg)
"I'm looking on" - I've no tricks
"I've what davy shot at the lock" - a reference to Davy jones locker, he shot nothing at the lock
"are you bringing them home with you?" - when some fails to beat
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Link

Quote from: andoireabu on October 25, 2011, 06:14:57 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on October 25, 2011, 12:47:55 PM
The best card game ever imo. I wonder are there many on here under the age of forty who would know how to play it.It seems to be a dying pastime. Partners is a great version of it, here in Birmingham we often had 9 players to a table.(3 lots of 3 partners).
22 and I have played it for years.  Could get to the end of the hand and then get cleaned up about how I should have led my cards in a different order!  There was always rows about whether you had to play to suit or if you could hold trumph off a lower ranked card.  Great game
that you bambers?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on October 26, 2011, 12:17:43 AM
"It's nice to be at home when a visitor calls" .....when you beat someone who has slipped across a trump.
"Never send a boy on a man's errand" .....when someone crosses a low-value trump.
"The deuce of diamonds won Ballyfin".....local lore.

You beat to some of those quips boy wonder!  :D

We also say (some local sayings):
'Get out and fight' (When raising a middlin trump)
'Gortalowry' (When throwing the ten of clubs)
'Give that man a mask' (When robbing twice in a row)

Great game!

Radda bout yeee

In our part of the country you only play 45 between when the clocks go back and you stop when they go forward again.
Alot of the ould boys host events of partners - 10 people (8 in 2 out) Invite only! Usually some whore is put out by not being asked!
theres usually a game every Thursday night in the pub first come first serve - a few of us young boys like to go and play with the oulder hands (who are dying out unfortunately  :( ) Your allowed to sign your partner. Me and a friend changed the signs one night and won the event and got nearly put out of the bar!  :D

Declan

Local is running a 25 competition from now till Christmas. Will have to take lessons and join in

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Declan on October 26, 2011, 11:00:22 AM
Local is running a 25 competition from now till Christmas. Will have to take lessons and join in

They don't call it a school of cards for nothing!  ;D

I remember getting an odd ateing and a kick on the shins from my father at christmas time for bad play!
When playing partners we try to implement the rule 'no post mortems' put it never works out!

spuds

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 26, 2011, 11:18:28 AM

I remember getting an odd ateing and a kick on the shins from my father at christmas time for bad play!
When playing partners we try to implement the rule 'no post mortems' put it never works out!

We call it a 25 card drive, school is for innocents !
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ziggy90

Quote from: maddog on October 26, 2011, 12:27:15 AM
Ziggy90 i think you have just been trumped
Cue slap around the back of the neck and a "what the fcuk did you that for you stupid bollocks, you've let the game out now". >:(
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

clareman

45 in most of Clare.. Some game.. Anyone ever play 'combs'?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: spuds on October 26, 2011, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 26, 2011, 11:18:28 AM

We call it a 25 card drive, school is for innocents !

Why don't you grow a set and play 45?  ;D

pgorry

You might be interested to know that we are in the process of building the first ever online version of play 25s - head over to www.play25s.com to register.