Origin of the card game 25

Started by maddog, October 24, 2011, 11:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

The best card game ever imo. I wonder are there many on here under the age of forty who would know how to play it.It seems to be a dying pastime. Partners is a great version of it, here in Birmingham we often had 9 players to a table.(3 lots of 3 partners).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hashtag

Best card game out there I reckon. I'm deadly at it. A real King.

spuds

Best card game by a distance, in national school if wet outside play 25 if dry kick ball. 6 players only as 3 partners, used to be war and crying if lads didn't make the 6. Last time playing at home in local you had to board your trump at start. Serious game of cuteness.

"you should've boarded the nave that time" :D
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

fearbrags

I (even though  I am a culchie)  played  Don  on the building sites  with the Dubs back in the day
I  also played twenty  five  at home  , we also  had  a  version of   "25'' called auction "15" for gambling purposes
Both ''25" and "don"  are  very good games

RMDrive

Quote from: Hardy on October 25, 2011, 12:03:50 AM
Quote from: trileacman on October 25, 2011, 12:00:31 AM
Does you play this rule?

Ace of trump claims the trump card (card on top of the deck) and player leaves back one card of their hand.

Yep.

We call it robbing.

ziggy90

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 24, 2011, 11:53:29 PM
Higher the red, lower the black. Joker, 5 of trumps, jack of trumpd, ace of hearts, ace of trumps, king of trumps, queen of trumps. Then picture cards of other suits. Higher red,  lower black kicks in for numbers then. Apart from the ace of hearts/trumps.
Are the 3 most basic rules (especially whille playing partners) not a wink of the right eye (fingers),a wink of the left eye (knave) a light protuberance of the tongue (ace of hearts). ::)

FL/MAYO

Great game, I was at home a few years ago during the winter and got back into playing it again after not playing for over twenty years. Auction 15 was a good version of the game for those that liked to gamble.

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggy90 on October 25, 2011, 12:47:55 PM
The best card game ever imo. I wonder are there many on here under the age of forty who would know how to play it.It seems to be a dying pastime. Partners is a great version of it, here in Birmingham we often had 9 players to a table.(3 lots of 3 partners).

There should be plenty - I was rared on it by my late Grandmother. Some great childhood memories - and although I remember the scoring and the values - I'm struggling to remember the start and the strategies.

Had this one cousin with a bit of a stammer and I can still hear the cries of him - "Sh sh sh sh she rrrrrrrenaged the auld bitch so she did"!

spuds

Quote from: Puckoon on October 25, 2011, 03:46:35 PM

There should be plenty - I was rared on it by my late Grandmother. Some great childhood memories - and although I remember the scoring and the values - I'm struggling to remember the start and the strategies.

Had this one cousin with a bit of a stammer and I can still hear the cries of him - "Sh sh sh sh she rrrrrrrenaged the auld bitch so she did"!

:D
John Hubbard

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 25, 2011, 08:33:40 AM
We'd play with a sport, where if there's 5 or more players you have to lead off with a trump on the first lay of the hand.

Sport in 4 I thought?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggy90

Quote from: spuds on October 25, 2011, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 25, 2011, 03:46:35 PM

:D
Funnily enough it was my late Grandmother who taught myself and the brothers how to play(before we could read). It's a very popular game with women, for what ever reason. You start the game by dealing 5 cards to each player in 2 rounds(3 cards then 2 or vice-versa,never 4 & 1......tinkers deal). The 1st player to the left of the dealer plays the leading card.

andoireabu

22 and I have played it for years.  Could get to the end of the hand and then get cleaned up about how I should have led my cards in a different order!  There was always rows about whether you had to play to suit or if you could hold trumph off a lower ranked card.  Great game
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

spuds

Quote from: andoireabu on October 25, 2011, 06:14:57 PM
22 and I have played it for years.  Could get to the end of the hand and then get cleaned up about how I should have led my cards in a different order!  There was always rows about whether you had to play to suit or if you could hold trumph off a lower ranked card.  Great game

Can renege ace of hearts, jack and 5 of trumps but never against a card of higher value boarded.
John Hubbard

AZOffaly

Great game. We still play it at most family gatherings, and my granny, who is 90, turns from a mild mannered genial family matriarch into a roaring lunatic if someone either reneges, plays a trump too early (in her estimation) or is accused of conspiring to deny her a dealers trick. She clattered my uncle with her walking stick a couple of times :D

andoireabu

Quote from: spuds on October 25, 2011, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on October 25, 2011, 06:14:57 PM

Can renege ace of hearts, jack and 5 of trumps but never against a card of higher value boarded.
Aw I know, it was always the numpties I was trying to teach the game to that didn't catch on to this.  Holding the fingers to the end was always worth a clip round the ear too!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!