Croke Park Pitch

Started by bottlethrower7, March 12, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 12:55:29 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 12:24:15 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 12:00:44 PM

And one thing that is not in question is the state of the pitch. The GAA see the need to 'work' on it before the championship, and I saw it myself last sunday. Head into Croker yourself this saturday and have a look. Then tell me I'm wrong.

Bottlethower !!!

Last year Peter McKenna said he couldn't rule out the re sodding of part or all of the pitch in Croke Park and that it was in fact quite likely and that some work would  100% be needed to carried out of the pitch as in the summer its like so hard the studs cant get a grip. Now all of this happened 6 months before Brian and the lads "ruined" the pitch as your trying to make out . So can you go invent something else to moan about

gnevin, I am having great difficulty understanding your posts.

Ok i'll clear it up
This work has been planned for at least 6 months

planned - ok
but would it have been required without the 'rub-by' being played?

my objection to rugby in croker was related to games etc (training) digging up the pitch.

Now thats no big problem for football, but hurlers might object.
The aesthetics the only other point people might have. But most teams play on mucky, wet, near grassless pitches a lot of the year - so it would hardly bother them on March 17th in an AI club final.
Might not look nice for TV and any showcase purposes though..

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 13, 2007, 01:44:34 PM

And one thing that is not in question is the state of the pitch. The GAA see the need to 'work' on it before the championship, and I saw it myself last sunday. Head into Croker yourself this saturday and have a look. Then tell me I'm wrong.

Bottlethower !!!

Last year Peter McKenna said he couldn't rule out the re sodding of part or all of the pitch in Croke Park and that it was in fact quite likely and that some work would  100% be needed to carried out of the pitch as in the summer its like so hard the studs cant get a grip. Now all of this happened 6 months before Brian and the lads "ruined" the pitch as your trying to make out . So can you go invent something else to moan about

Ok i'll clear it up

planned - ok

my objection to rugby in croker was related to games etc (training) digging up the pitch.

The aesthetics the only other point people might have. But most teams play on mucky, wet, near grassless pitches a lot of the year - so it would hardly bother them on March 17th in an AI club final.
Yes it was required the playing of rugby no way effect that condition of the sod during last summer  ::) . The ground was too hard underfoot last year and work was planned to correct this
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 01:48:57 PM

Bottlethower !!!

Ok i'll clear it up

planned - ok

Yes it was required the playing of rugby no way effect that condition of the sod during last summer  ::) . The ground was too hard underfoot last year and work was planned to correct this

Thanks for clearing up. Punctuation is a great thing altogether. Right, so they needed to do something to the pitch last year because of how hard it was (are you sure about that by the way?), but this year its because of the state of disrepair of the pitch (the grass being worn, etc)? I get what you're saying but I don't get your point. And, as Lynchboy says, they seem to have made an allowance for the wear by acknowledging the need for a fallow period. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how widely used Croke Park was by GAA games between the club finals and the respective Leinster finals last year? And then maybe you can compare that to how much use is planned in the same time period this year?

Tony Baloney

planned - ok

Yes - the state of the pitch was mentioned nearly every week in the Sunday Game as there we big sandy areas and some people felt players were at risk due to the lack of grip in these are other really hard areas. So yes in the interests of player safety (GAA players that is  ;D) this would would have gone ahead.

When this thread finishes what will be the next "We're all doomed" thread be about?! Armageddon didn't happen and the GAA is alive and kicking. Live with it.

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 02:26:32 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 01:48:57 PM

Bottlethower !!!

Ok i'll clear it up

planned - ok

Thanks for clearing up. Punctuation is a great thing altogether.  but this year its because of the state of disrepair of the pitch (the grass being worn, etc)? I get what you're saying but I don't get your point. And, as Lynchboy says, they seem to have made an allowance for the wear by acknowledging the need for a fallow period. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how widely used Croke Park was by GAA games between the club finals and the respective Leinster finals last year? And then maybe you can compare that to how much use is planned in the same time period this year?

Right, so they needed to do something to the pitch last year because of how hard it was (are you sure about that by the way?),

No I'm saying this upcoming work is being carried out because of how hard the pitch was last summer .

I've no idea how much it was used last year. Its  my understanding that its not a fallow period but a period of work to be carried out as i've said above . Sure it was fallow for the whole winter and its no turnips we are growing 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

By saying things mockingly like "we are doomed" you are actually proving a point or two against yourselves. This type of exaggerated reaction to anyone who had the temerity to stand up for an opposing viewpoint is typical of the "debate" that surrounded the amendment of Rule 42. Nobody that I can recall that was of a "no" viewpoint ever said the GAA would be doomed if there was a change to the rule.

But then again I'm a backwoods dinosaur man so I would say that.

magpie seanie

QuoteSure it was fallow for the whole winter and its no turnips we are growing

There'll be plenty of turnips on it on Saturday week!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2007, 02:40:27 PM
By saying things mockingly like "we are doomed" you are actually proving a point or two against yourselves. This type of exaggerated reaction to anyone who had the temerity to stand up for an opposing viewpoint is typical of the "debate" that surrounded the amendment of Rule 42.

Quotes from yourself Seanie.

QuoteThey just think "wouldn't it be great to see Drico, Robbie etc playing in Croker".

QuoteSo waht if the pitch is not 100% for some oul junior or intermediate match. Sure we've never heard the names of any of the players.

QuoteQuick, they better put rugby and soccer sections in that Elverys or the negative publicity for the GAA will be shocking altogether. Imagine all the money that would be taken out of the economy. The poor wee divils would have to go elsewhere to spend their money. Oh the Shame. Think of the children...

magpie seanie

I know what I post. It is me after all who posts it. There's no need to repeat it. Unless you are being selective and deliberately quoting things out of context to try and make someone look silly. That couldn't be it though surely?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2007, 03:18:32 PM
I know what I post. It is me after all who posts it. There's no need to repeat it. Unless you are being selective and deliberately quoting things out of context to try and make someone look silly. That couldn't be it though surely?

I just enjoy pricking the pimples of pomposity Seanie. ;D

muppet

QuoteThe pitch looks to be in a very poor state. For yesterday's hurling finals the field looked very patchy (though didn't have any noticeable affect on the players). Down by the sideline looks very worn out and the 3 big RBS signs stained into the grass don't look good at all.

The showpiece club events of the year take place next saturday. The players involved in that deserve better for their big day out.

Its very bad form and was a bad miscalculation by the GAA. The pitch should be left lie for a month or so before the paddy's day games (and the junior/inter club finals) next year so as not to have a repeat performance.

I notice also that the advertising hoardings were covered over. I hope the advertisers who pay their money for advertising at GAA games get their ads put back up for the paddy's day games. Its only fair after all.

Its an interesting clash next saturday. It will be interesting to see how the rugby affects the club final attendance, especially considering that the weather isn't meant to be all thast great.

QuoteLeague finals have been played both in and out of Croke Park the last few years. The last 2 hurling league finals were in Thurles. But moving the games out of Croker for financial reasons is one thing, but to not even have Croker as an option for a venue is something completely different.

Point of information:

Last year's National League Final wasn't played in Croker and drew a crowd of around 7,000. It wasn't moved because of the Rugby heathens and only a fraction of the fans from two of the most successful counties in the game bothered to travel the much shorter distance to the final.

Other point of information:

Croke Park has been unavailable in the past due to non-Gaa events taking place there.

The Point:

Objecting to the opening of Croker and arguing that position is fine.

However arguing the toss about every little thing associated with holding an event in Croke Park and pretending that it is somehow unique and therefore all horribly wrong is just pathetic. Every concert held in Croke Park  ( I worked at a couple ) has done at least superficial damage to the pitch. 

I have to conclude that the original post was just a wind up.

There are three points in the post.

1. The pitch is in a bad way. I haven't seen the pitch but it seems this is at best, an exaggeration.
2. There were advertising hoardings covered up. You should edit this embarassing statement.
3. The Club Final attendance might be affected by the rugby on Saturday although it might also be affected because the ' weather isn't meant to be all thast great '. Weather forecast is fine for saturday  ::). Yes the rugby might influence neutrals attending but this is the club finals and I can't imagine anyone from the clubs involved missing the game due to a rugby game, as might Cheltenham and any other event that also happens at this time of year. 

MWWSI 2017

Redgreenery

From gaa.ie:
Croke Park Pitch

The GAA have confirmed that maintenance work on the Croke Park pitch surface will commence on Monday April 23rd and will be completed in time for the Bank of Ireland Leinster Senior Football championship double header on Sunday May 20th.
The Stadium will therefore be available to host games up to and including Sunday, April 22nd.

Mike Sheehy

Quoteexaggerated reaction to anyone who had the temerity to stand up for an opposing viewpoint

So you have not had an "exaggerated" reaction to those that disagree with your point of view ? You are not exactly a paragon of reasoned debate yourself.

paddypastit

Was in Croke Park on Tuesday and the pitch looked fine to me.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Gnevin

GAA President Nickey Brennan says that a programme of work will take place on the surface of Croke Park over the course of the coming summer months.

Brennan outlined the work involved while confirming that headquarters will be available for the NFL finals next month with work on the pitch taking place over the following four weeks.

"There will be a fairly aggressive maintenance programme over the month, but it won't involve digging up the pitch or anything like that.

"We are not looking at a very costly exercise.

"It's in really good nick. A month will be adequate for the work to be carried out. And, the particular time of the year we have decided on means there will be better growth," Brennan added

from http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=74344