Croke Park Pitch

Started by bottlethrower7, March 12, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

QuoteWhat did the Dubs do to get that honour?

Not sure, think it coz the GAA recognise we own the Hill.

Well deserved anyway!

Over the Bar

QuoteThe seats are a mixture of blue and navy blue in honour of the Dubs.
With wee union-jacks for them 2 wave as well no doubt? :P

Billys Boots

QuoteWith wee union-jacks for them 2 wave as well no doubt?

Won't they be saving the union jacks for the visit of the British folk, maybe for the Ulster Final?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

QuoteWon't they be saving the union jacks for the visit of the British folk, maybe for the Ulster Final?

Point of order, I don't see a smilie attached here Mr Boots. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 13, 2007, 10:32:52 AM
QuoteWith wee union-jacks for them 2 wave as well no doubt?

Won't they be saving the union jacks for the visit of the British folk, maybe for the Ulster Final?

jealous just because no one wanted the midlands counties ?
;)

Billys Boots

Longford have had more visits to Croker recently than Derry, Lynchbhoy - sure Derry only get to go to Ballymahon.

Hardy

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 08:48:44 AM
I'm sorry you feel such arguments are ridiculous Hardy. Personally I think its a big deal. This deal was supposed to be made in such a fashion as would benefit the GAA and not hinder it. Whereas arguments over enhanced perception of competing codes occupy a grey area, the fact that the league finals now pretty much cannot be played in the stadium is fairly black and white.

BT - this wouldn't be the first time the league finals were taken out of Croke Park. Do you remember Cork v. Dublin in Páirc Uí Chaoimh in front of a few dozen people?. I think that debacle did more harm to the GAA than two rugby matches and two soccer matches which net us 6 million-odd.

I'm sorry, but I think it's clutching at I-told-you-so straws to elevate the possibility that the League finals may not be in Croke Park to a vindication of those who are against rugby, etc. in CP. I'm sure the pitch needs to be worked on every year. From my limited knowledge of horticulture, April is the time you go to work on grass if you need to. April is also the month when the League finals are usually held. There's your clash of requirements - not matches in March - rugby, soccer or GAA club finals. If the rugby was the cause of work having to be done on the pitch, how have we managed to stage the club finals there?

In fact this, the year when the 'no' campaign was predicting the exclusion of GAA events from Croke Park  to accommodate rugby and soccer, has turned out to be a year of unprecedented access for the GAA grass roots, with the staging of the junior and intermediate club finals there for the first time. I think that fact alone scuppers the argument that soccer and rugby would see our own people excluded.

AZOffaly

Wasn't last year's league Football final in Limerick? The Kerry - Galway game?

bottlethrower7

League finals have been played both in and out of Croke Park the last few years. The last 2 hurling league finals were in Thurles. But moving the games out of Croker for financial reasons is one thing, but to not even have Croker as an option for a venue is something completely different.

Hound gave the excellent example of how Croke Park would be needed were Dublin to reach the final. It wouldn't make any financial sense to stage such a game anywhere else, but the GAA may have no option if they are worried about the state of the Croke Park pitch.

Hardy, the GAA have to stage the club finals in Croke Park for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they make no bones about the fact that this is the second biggest stage any player can be part of (and not the Fitzgibbon cup as Joe Canning says). To not play the club finals there would be an insult to both the players and to the competition. Plus, as Liam O'Mulvihill said last week in relation to the inter/junior finals, its giving something back to the players (specifically the club-only players). So regardless the state of the pitch, these players will get their day out, and rightly so. The second reason is that it would be a PR nightmare for the GAA if these games were moved, especially this year of all years. It would give me and my ilk some vindication of our views (not that vindication is needed mind you).

And one thing that is not in question is the state of the pitch. The GAA see the need to 'work' on it before the championship, and I saw it myself last sunday. Head into Croker yourself this saturday and have a look. Then tell me I'm wrong.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2007, 11:47:20 AM

Wasn't last year's league Football final in Limerick? The Kerry - Galway game?
Yes last year it was held in Limerick.
7,600 attended.

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 12:00:44 PM

And one thing that is not in question is the state of the pitch. The GAA see the need to 'work' on it before the championship, and I saw it myself last sunday. Head into Croker yourself this saturday and have a look. Then tell me I'm wrong.

Bottlethower !!!

Last year Peter McKenna said he couldn't rule out the re sodding of part or all of the pitch in Croke Park and that it was in fact quite likely . He also said that some work would definitely be carried out on the pitch.As in the summer its like so hard the studs cant get a grip. Now all of this happened 6 months before Brian and the lads "ruined" the pitch as your trying to make out . So can you go invent something else to moan about
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 12:24:15 PM

Bottlethower !!!

Last year Peter McKenna said he couldn't rule out the re sodding of part or all of the pitch in Croke Park and that it was in fact quite likely and that some work would  100% be needed to carried out of the pitch as in the summer its like so hard the studs cant get a grip. Now all of this happened 6 months before Brian and the lads "ruined" the pitch as your trying to make out . So can you go invent something else to moan about

gnevin, I am having great difficulty understanding your posts.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 13, 2007, 11:28:44 AM
Longford have had more visits to Croker recently than Derry, Lynchbhoy - sure Derry only get to go to Ballymahon.
I would have thought one trip to the museum would have been enough for yez  ;) :D

Billys Boots

Nothing in the Museum to interest us ...  :-\

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 12:55:29 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 13, 2007, 12:24:15 PM

Bottlethower !!!

Last year Peter McKenna said he couldn't rule out the re sodding of part or all of the pitch in Croke Park and that it was in fact quite likely and that some work would  100% be needed to carried out of the pitch as in the summer its like so hard the studs cant get a grip. Now all of this happened 6 months before Brian and the lads "ruined" the pitch as your trying to make out . So can you go invent something else to moan about

gnevin, I am having great difficulty understanding your posts.

Ok i'll clear it up
This work has been planned for at least 6 months
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.