Croke Park Pitch

Started by bottlethrower7, March 12, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 12, 2007, 01:28:02 PM
Lynchbhoy,

Were you at the Oracle User's Group Conf? Also saw the pitch last Wednesday and it looked great.

Whinge Whinge Whinge any excuse?

was invited to that but declined - they keep trying to sell , sell , sell to me and I cant keep civil much longer without telling them to feck off. (though we might be in the not so distant future buying a DB - I would go for oracle too..what do ya reckon)

I was actually at the security seminar on a higher floor...

Bensars

Just ask the players,subs and managment of Greencastle and Ardfert.

I can guarntee you, that almost to a man they will all say its the greatest surfice they may have played on.

QuoteAlso, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one. And if the GAA, I wonder how much of the 3 million they took in from the rugby games has been taken up so they can facilitate their next tenants.

You can be sure that the GAA will not be footing the bill for the erection of the seating. If they are it will be built into the overall contract and the fai will be paying that wee bit more

QuoteAnd what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals? Would some have to be turned away as they can't be faciliated due to the fact the hill had reduced capacity because of the upcoming soccer matches?

Thats just silly. Wel known that club finals never attract that sort of attendence.

Dinny Breen

Quotethe not so distant future buying a DB - I would go for oracle too..what do ya reckon

Is it for High-Availability, OLTP, Reporting etc, partial to Oracle myself but would depend on your budget etc
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 01:49:53 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 12, 2007, 01:44:51 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 12:50:16 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 12, 2007, 12:38:55 PM
Well I don't see what the problem is if the pitch "doesn't have any noticeable affect on the players".......people whinged last year that the pitch was poor even though it looked great...now they whinge it doesn't look good but is in great shape....

who said its in 'great shape'? I certainly didn't. I said the exact opposite.

Also, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one. And if the GAA, I wonder how much of the 3 million they took in from the rugby games has been taken up so they can facilitate their next tenants.

And what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals? Would some have to be turned away as they can't be faciliated due to the fact the hill had reduced capacity because of the upcoming soccer matches?

gnevin? I missed the point of your post. Elaborate if you don't mind.

Why in gods name would the GAA  pay for that , The IFRU wanted more press boxes to they paid of more them selfs , The FAI have to have seats they pay for the seats .

Bottle your like a man who has given his neighbour a lend of a hammer and is now complaining their a few marks on the head of it

The GAA paid for the floodlights. It was the soccer and rugby that needed them, not hurling or football.

I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the GAA paying for the bucket seats. Its up to them as landlords to rent a stadium thats suitable for their tenant's use. Unless they have some deal whereby it comes out of the gate reciepts. But again, I doubt that.

Because the Hill all of a sudden became a terrace ::).

The FAI knew what they where getting going into the deal and they are paying by your logic my landlord should pay for my heating and electric as its  " Its up to them as landlords to rent a stadium thats suitable for their tenant's use"
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bottlethrower7

why, if the pitch is in such great nick (which it isn't - its patchy and very visibly worn by the hogan stand sideline), do the GAA see fit not to play any early round games of the Leinster championship there?

And its not because of attendances. They've already said they want to rest the pitch for a month. Why should the hurling/football championships suffer though?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 12, 2007, 01:57:55 PM
Well I don't see what the problem is if the pitch "doesn't have any noticeable affect on the players".......people whinged last year that the pitch was poor even though it looked great...now they whinge it doesn't look good but is in great shape....

Also, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one. And if the GAA, I wonder how much of the 3 million they took in from the rugby games has been taken up so they can facilitate their next tenants.

And what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals? Would some have to be turned away as they can't be faciliated due to the fact the hill had reduced capacity because of the upcoming soccer matches?

Why in gods name would the GAA  pay for that , The IFRU wanted more press boxes to they paid of more them selfs , The FAI have to have seats they pay for the seats .

Bottle your like a man who has given his neighbour a lend of a hammer and is now complaining their a few marks on the head of it

The GAA paid for the floodlights. It was the soccer and rugby that needed them, not hurling or football.

I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the GAA paying for the bucket seats. Its up to them as landlords to rent a stadium thats suitable for their tenant's use. Unless they have some deal whereby it comes out of the gate reciepts. But again, I doubt that.

The FAI knew what they where getting going into the deal and they are paying by your logic my landlord should pay for my heating and electric as its  " Its up to them as landlords to rent a stadium thats suitable for their tenant's use"

now now gnevin, thats just childish. Very unbecoming of you.

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 01:59:50 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 12, 2007, 01:57:55 PM

now now gnevin, thats just childish. Very unbecoming of you.

Hardly childish just a logic extension of what your saying
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

the taxpayer footed the majority of the floodlights bill. the fai are paying for the installation of the seats as they did in LR.

you are pulling 'facts' out of your arse, becasue as someone said earlier, the doomsday scenarios never happened. its getting very boring

bottlethrower7

Quote from: dublinfella on March 12, 2007, 02:03:55 PM

the taxpayer footed the majority of the floodlights bill. the fai are paying for the installation of the seats as they did in LR.

you are pulling 'facts' out of your arse, becasue as someone said earlier, the doomsday scenarios never happened. its getting very boring

the 'majority'? who footed the rest?

what 'facts'? I merely asked a question.

boring? I suppose you would know alright.

GalwayBayBoy

FFS there are pitches all over Europe they get used for a match once a week for most of the year. The Croke Park pitch was idle for the entire Winter and then had two games of rugby played on it with two weeks between the games and we're complaining that the surface is slightly scuffed near one touchline and isn't billiard table smooth?

Pitches by their nature will get wear and tear on them. The groundsmen know this and accept this but thankfully they nearly always present fantastic surfaces for players to play on and I don't expect any different next weekend.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 12, 2007, 02:11:57 PM
FFS there are pitches all over Europe they get used for a match once a week for most of the year. The Croke Park pitch was idle for the entire Winter and then had two games of rugby played on it with two weeks between the games and we're complaining that the surface is slightly scuffed near one touchline and isn't billiard table smooth?

All 4 teams in last weekends junior/inter finals had a training session on the pitch, and rightly so. The rugby will have had several sessions. England and France will also have had time on the pitch. The soccer will have had training time on the pitch since their initial (correct) rebuff. As will their opposition. All 4 teams in next weekends club finals will have training time on the pitch. Not sure if Dublin and Tyrone got training time on it. Since that was the first time this year it was used and all the wear is only since then, god knows what state it will be in after another month of that kind of use.

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 02:17:10 PM

All 4 teams in last weekends junior/inter finals had a training session on the pitch, and rightly so. The rugby will have had several sessions. England and France will also have had time on the pitch. The soccer will have had training time on the pitch since their initial (correct) rebuff. As will their opposition. All 4 teams in next weekends club finals will have training time on the pitch. Not sure if Dublin and Tyrone got training time on it. Since that was the first time this year it was used and all the wear is only since then, god knows what state it will be in after another month of that kind of use.

Parnell Park is now pretty much used 7 days a week with Dublin teams training their, Club game of all sorts , Schools and who know what else yet parnell park doesn't have a team of ground keepers fancy lights and watering systems and who know what else they have in CP and PP looked in great condition on Saturday night.   

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 12, 2007, 02:24:30 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 02:17:10 PM

This time of year its not used as much as you say. In the summer its used pretty much every day, but the pitch can withstand more when its hard. I wouldn't be concerned about the schools games. Little lightweight nippers aren't going to cause much wear. Parnell does get pretty bad though. I've played there enough times in my day to have seen it first hand.

Parnell Park is now pretty much used 7 days a week with Dublin teams training their, Club game of all sorts , Schools and who know what else yet parnell park doesn't have a team of ground keepers fancy lights and watering systems and who know what else they have in CP and PP looked in great condition on Saturday night.   

ziggysego

I noticed the Rugby logo on the pitch and the seated Hill 16 certainly looked strange, but that all said and done it didn't bother me in the slightest. This nonsense that was spouted here saying that the Junior and Intermediate Finals shouldn't have been played at Croke Park, to allow the pitch to be in good condition after the Ruggers game is an disgrace and insult to the 8 teams that played there over the weekend!!
Testing Accessibility

bottlethrower7

Quote from: ziggysego on March 12, 2007, 02:32:06 PM
I noticed the Rugby logo on the pitch and the seated Hill 16 certainly looked strange, but that all said and done it didn't bother me in the slightest. This nonsense that was spouted here saying that the Junior and Intermediate Finals shouldn't have been played at Croke Park, to allow the pitch to be in good condition after the Ruggers game is an disgrace and insult to the 8 teams that played there over the weekend!!

thats a terrible thing for anyone to say. Who said it ziggy?