Accents you love, accents you hate, accents that make you laugh

Started by Eamonnca1, October 18, 2011, 06:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Forgot to add, that awful Anglo-Irish accent spoken by some unionist politicians in the north who seem to think it's posh to swap all the vowels out of place. Gawd it's pretentious!

Puckoon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2011, 06:10:51 PM
Forgot to add, that awful Anglo-Irish accent spoken by some unionist politicians in the north who seem to think it's posh to swap all the vowels out of place. Gawd it's pretentious!

Surprised to see you falling into the trap of some of the lesser spotted idiots around here with the claim that people have enough time, energy and rationale to purposely change their accent. Not only that - but you seem to have their rationale for doing so and all diagnosed for them! Good man yourself, William.

Not to mention - if they did feel that bettering themselves through speaking more clearly that you should pour scorn on it - considering your spirited defence of mathematics classes as a hobby, and castigation of those who might make a joke at the pretentious mathematicians expense!

Hefty dose of hypocrisy there, Eamonn?

GalwayBayBoy

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 19, 2011, 07:17:24 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 19, 2011, 05:36:10 PM

Dislike

Loughrea Galway accent

Jaysus that's very specific. The accent in one town?

For me the Loughrea accent seems to deeper than the surrounding towns.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 19, 2011, 07:17:24 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 19, 2011, 05:36:10 PM

Dislike

Loughrea Galway accent

Jaysus that's very specific. The accent in one town?
Lurgan in the north specifically has an awful accent.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 19, 2011, 12:21:04 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 19, 2011, 12:22:58 AM

Mayo
Roscommon
Fermanagh
Wexford
Cork
Welsh
Scouser
Highland Scottish
Edinburgh Scottish
Newcastle
Posh South of England
French girls
New Orleans
Southern American women (Savana)
Melbourne
Posh Belfast
Boston
Devon-Cornwall
Soft Derry
Soft Donegal-woman
South African Afrikaner
South African Nelson Mandela type accent
Cavan-Monaghan

Dislike

East of the Bann
D4 Dublin/Dort
Mid-Ulster
Glasgow Scottish
Essex
Chav accent
Traveller-Irish accent
East Coast American
Dutch
Ian Paisley sounding folk
Gerry Adams sounding folk
Nicole Coyle Derry
Angry Donegalman
Dublin Skanger
Danish people speaking English
Steryotype Jewish-American comedian accent
West African English
Kiwi
South Sea Islander
Australian Bogan accent
Australian Med accent
Getto British accent

Jesus christ you have too much time on your hands! Glad to see you like your own accent too.

I do indeed like the Mayo accent, just in from work now, can't talk, back up for work at 6am.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

CiKe

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on October 19, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Surprised to see you falling into the trap of some of the lesser spotted idiots around here with the claim that people have enough time, energy and rationale to purposely change their accent. Not only that - but you seem to have their rationale for doing so and all diagnosed for them! Good man yourself, William.

Not to mention - if they did feel that bettering themselves through speaking more clearly that you should pour scorn on it - considering your spirited defence of mathematics classes as a hobby, and castigation of those who might make a joke at the pretentious mathematicians expense!

Not a bit of it. There's nowhere in this world where anyone pronounces "happy as a lark" as "heppy es a lork" in natural speech. Anybody who does is a fraud. 

"Anybody who speaks clearly" you say? Christ, I can speak clearly without resorting to twisting my vowels up like that. In fact I have to speak clearly around here, especially when dealing with native Spanish speakers. But I can do it without sounding like a pretentious twerp.

There's a difference between speaking clearly and concocting some sort of mid-Irish Sea accent just to make yourself sound like you're half English.

LondonCamanachd

ardal

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2011, 11:16:02 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 19, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Not a bit of it. There's nowhere in this world where anyone pronounces "happy as a lark" as "heppy es a lork" in natural speech. Anybody who does is a fraud. 

"Anybody who speaks clearly" you say? Christ, I can speak clearly without resorting to twisting my vowels up like that. In fact I have to speak clearly around here, especially when dealing with native Spanish speakers. But I can do it without sounding like a pretentious twerp.

There's a difference between speaking clearly and concocting some sort of mid-Irish Sea accent just to make yourself sound like you're half English.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Eamonn

Ash Smoker

5 Sams

Quote from: Ash Smoker on October 21, 2011, 12:43:42 PM
Is there anyone at all who likes the D4/Dort accent?

Paul Howard...he has made a fortune out of it!!! Roysh!!
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Norn Iron people who have spent a bit of time in England and who end up with the most horrible hybrid of accents...George Best was one and the latest is Darren Clarke.
The Aristocrat Years