Measuring performance improvement

Started by tyroneman, October 12, 2011, 07:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Do many clubs now measure performance a number of times over the year? Speed, agility, standing jump, acceleration etc?

I have been looking at the NFL combine drill site for info - are there any other sites give good background or useful tips?

AZOffaly

My father used to do this back in the 80s when he was with Ferbane. He did a baseline test the first week, and then periodically ran the tests over the year. At each test he gave each player his own personal updated 'stats' sheet.

He measured things like 30 yard sprint, pressups in a minute, sit ups in a minute, standing jump/catch (he made a machine on a pulley system that moved a ball up and down on a rope), and a few others. It worked well for him, and the players liked it.

RandyDupree

Time wasted which could be better spent working on a players weak foot.

AZOffaly

Yeah, because you can only do one or the other :)

boojangles

muppet

Quote from: RandyDupree on October 14, 2011, 02:10:54 AM
Time wasted which could be better spent working on a players weak foot.

Or his IQ.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

We used to do it(haven't played in a few years) in similar fashion to what AZ talked about. I think there may have been a slightly more endurance based one in there too.

sans pessimism

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 11:27:43 AM
My father used to do this back in the 80s when he was with Ferbane. He did a baseline test the first week, and then periodically ran the tests over the year. At each test he gave each player his own personal updated 'stats' sheet.

He measured things like 30 yard sprint, pressups in a minute, sit ups in a minute, standing jump/catch (he made a machine on a pulley system that moved a ball up and down on a rope), and a few others. It worked well for him, and the players liked it.
Did they win much AZ
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

5 in a row and a Leinster Senior Club title.

sans pessimism

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2011, 12:31:32 PM
5 in a row and a Leinster Senior Club title.
whatever they were doing obviously worked
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

under the bar

Quote5 in a row and a Leinster Senior Club title.

whatever they were doing obviously worked

...and then went a bit stale? ;) 

AZOffaly

Yeah. They lost a semi final going for 6. Mind you they did come back to win another one or 2 after that :D

I don't think Da would claim that measuring performance improvement/fitness improvement was overly responsible for the success. I think it was more down to the players :D