Open University

Started by nifan, October 11, 2011, 09:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Anyone ever done anything with the OU?

Im starting a maths degree for a bit of a hobby. Just one module which looks handy enough to start.

AZOffaly

A maths degree for a hobby?

I think that is the saddest thing I've ever seen written down.

nifan

:) Well its not a pure hobby - it will have practical benefits for future work also

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: nifan on October 11, 2011, 10:02:03 AM
:) Well its not a pure hobby - it will have practical benefits for future work also

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2011, 09:57:34 AM

What would you prefer him to do with his time?

AZOffaly

I dunno. Make hurling videos maybe.

Eamonnca1

Each to his own. If someone wants to brush up on his maths then fair fucks to him. I wish I had a better grasp of it at Uni, it would have opened up a lot more doors to me.  Learning is good. Knowledge is good. There's nothing "sad" about it.

Puckoon

Eammon - you can't be away that long that you don't know exactly what AZ meant by his post, surely?

Olly

I did a degree in Puppetry and loved every minute of it. Cost me £10'000 but I'm now a real showman at birthday parties and after-funeral dinners.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: nifan on October 11, 2011, 09:30:02 AM
Anyone ever done anything with the OU?

Yeah, did quite a bit with them, and great outfit they are.

Don't know much about puppetry though!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Olly on October 11, 2011, 07:39:09 PM
I did a degree in Puppetry and loved every minute of it. Cost me £10'000 but I'm now a real showman at birthday parties and after-funeral dinners.

Do you like the way you have to shove your fist up the back end of the puppets?

Olly

How dare you belittle this ancient art. To borrow from the syllabus, I learned how to master animation, movement, vocal and manipulation skills; develop my critical thinking; study the design process; learn about puppet history and analysis of styles; partake in puppet making, puppetry drawing, design and sculpture; develop my research skills; pen a visual theatre performance. I do admit though that there is a sensation I get every time I lift the garments.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Eamonnca1

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2011, 09:57:34 AM

That's a bit harsh AZ.  Many peoples idea of a hobby is spending every Saturday and Sunday stuck in the pub.  At least he's trying to make use of his spare time.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on October 11, 2011, 07:18:26 PM
Eammon - you can't be away that long that you don't know exactly what AZ meant by his post, surely?

The way I read it he was having a go at the man for using his time to learn something challenging as a hobby. Am I missing something?