Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: heffo on November 20, 2011, 03:22:00 PM
Some Pikeys in Corofin.

Never good to see but in fairness was frustrating to see as a neutral so can only imagine what it was like as a Corofin man to deal with. Marty Duffy is not up to this level, never was. He has ruined more games that I can remember.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Capt Pat

I only half watched the second half and only half noticed a few frees going harshly against Corofin. Spell out to me what the ref got wrong.

4father

Your man presenting that trophy was a duck egg of Johnny Sack out of the Sopranos.

king of leon

Yep referee was terrible but no excuse for the scenes after that.. Decent game but Corofin had at least 4 chances to get a shot at goal in the last 2 minutes but no appeared to have the nerve to go for it..

Very tough on a team who have trained hard all year to lose in a manner like this!

4father

St Brigids number 10 deserved a dig in the nose with his antics all day during that game. 

bennydorano

Great game, have to say at end i was thinking to myself, why's the ref getting that treatment. No Corofin player had the stones to take a shot there at the end either.

Qwerty28

How did Brigids get home advantage for this? Is Hyde Park out of action and they were entitled to home county advantage?

First game like that I've seen where not one Guard next or near the place when they could have been needed at the end!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 20, 2011, 03:26:31 PM
I only half watched the second half and only half noticed a few frees going harshly against Corofin. Spell out to me what the ref got wrong.

Think there was just a general trend all game of every close call going Brigid's way. It was like a Heineken Cup game when you would sometimes have a "homer" ref.

maigheo

was it not Liam Devanney who was the ref?

yellowcard

What is the rationale for the Connacht Council giving home venue to one of the finalists? Surely in this day and age a provincial final shouldn't be played in any of the finalists county grounds let alone their club grounds.

Thats no fault of Brigids, indeed it seemed like a good set up for a club ground, but supporters were able to get onto the field at will after the match, dangerous considering the refs performance and the anger from Corofin supporters. I'm sure even Brigids will acknowledge they got a lot of marginal calls from the ref and the amount of stewarts with 'Brigids' bibs meant it was a fairly intimidating place for the officials. As for those condemning the Corofin supporters, well I can understand their anger and thankfully nothing too unsavoury happened. Manys a club would have had a few lunatics that would have physically assaulted Duffy there today.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: maigheo on November 20, 2011, 03:41:20 PM

Yeah I think it was. Someone said Duffy earlier on in the thread but the radio said it was Devanney.

spuds

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: maigheo on November 20, 2011, 03:41:20 PM

Yeah I think it was. Someone said Duffy earlier on in the thread but the radio said it was Devanney.

I thought it looked like Duffy, stand corrected if not.
John Hubbard

moysider

Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 03:25:02 PM
Some Pikeys in Corofin.

Never good to see but in fairness was frustrating to see as a neutral so can only imagine what it was like as a Corofin man to deal with. Marty Duffy is not up to this level, never was. He has ruined more games that I can remember.

Marty has had some howlers but we can t blame him for a game he didn t do! That was Liam Devenney.
Terrible scenes altogether.

spuds

Quote from: moysider on November 20, 2011, 03:48:55 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 03:25:02 PM
Some Pikeys in Corofin.

Marty has had some howlers but we can t blame him for a game he didn t do! That was Liam Devenney.
Terrible scenes altogether.

Absolutely, and the scenes after the final whistle were no better !
John Hubbard

ross4life

First off well done to St Brigid's it's a long time since a Roscommon team won back to back Connacht titles! Ref ruined the game never let it flow but the basic mistakes by both teams on a perfect day for football made it a poor advert for Connacht club football! 2nd half display won it for them as they held Corofin to just 3 scores.

Ref gave soft frees to both sides & would have to see a replay of the disallowed goal, from my view the Corofin man went in with his knees & the St brigid's man had to go off injured at HT. finally Corofin fans let themselves down at the end though Cake Curran did a fine job on stewarding.

P.S Marty Duffy getting some amount stick here when i'm sure he was at home watching the game  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open