Brian Dooher Retires

Started by Tubberman, September 23, 2011, 01:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: regal on September 28, 2011, 09:36:10 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 27, 2011, 08:37:59 PM
I think without him no Sams in Tyrone... ever.

Also redefined the game and in particular the WHF position.

But hardly for the better???

Average footballer who gave exceptional committment to tyrone.

If you think he's average then I would have to question your knowledge of football!!

He scored a good few points in all ireland finals for tyrone and on other days so he could attack and cover defense too. Not teh worst definition in the world of a wing half forward.  A lot of other counties over the years have had non score threating wing half forwards who just win ball. He wins ball- scores and defends.

tyssam5

Quote from: regal on September 28, 2011, 09:36:10 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 27, 2011, 08:37:59 PM
I think without him no Sams in Tyrone... ever.

Also redefined the game and in particular the WHF position.

But hardly for the better???

Average footballer who gave exceptional committment to tyrone.

Is that yourself Colm? How's the hat?

skeog

great servant brian to the tyrone cause next tyrone manager?

stew

Quote from: skeog on September 28, 2011, 06:58:37 PM
great servant brian to the tyrone cause next tyrone manager?

Let the man learn his craft first, it's a lot different from playing.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

I was looking at that Brian Dooher point in 2008 and followed it on. At the end, Tyrone scored 3 points in 48 seconds in the 69th minute. It brought back a feeling you'll never experience again. It was surreal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Any craic

The great Michael reckons the Dooher point was 50 yards out. I've just watched it again and it was half that when he kicked for the point but the run started from his own half. It was the defining moment of the game, like Canavan's goal in 05. Dooher takes the ball from Joe McMahon and just drives through tackles. This is Michael's full tribute, made at Dooher's home club on the very day he retired, or at least the day it was put out there. http://t.co/viEIxbhX

ExcellentDriver

Greatest ever Athlete in the Game.

A 16 Year stint at County Level for a player from a Club that only spent about 6 or 7 Seasons at Senior level in that County is probably also the greatest Fairy Tale come true in GAA History.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

screenexile

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on September 28, 2011, 11:07:37 PM

A 16 Year stint at County Level for a player from a Club that only spent about 6 or 7 Seasons at Senior level in that County is probably also the greatest Fairy Tale come true in GAA History.

Sure a good whack of the Kerry team play Junior football!

johnpower

Quote from: screenexile on September 29, 2011, 12:03:22 AM

Sure a good whack of the Kerry team play Junior football!

Not really a valid comparison in some ways as a junior club player in Kerry would have got a chance to play senior as part of a divisional set up. Dooher definitely set the standard in terms of commitment . No minor medals ,played with un competitive Tyrone teams yet kept at it. Well done Brian

oakleafgael

Best of luck to Brian on his retirement, although I dont think he will stray to far from the county set up and will have a very important role to play. As a Derryman I always had a few choice words to say about him when he was playing but without him Tyrone wouldn't have won any of their 3 All Ireland's.

From the Bunker

Top man! Leaves the inter-county game a legend.

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Hereiam

Well done to Brian Dooher u were one hell of a footballer. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

moysider

No he wasn t. His posture and running style would have driven any running coach nuts and he would just be an ordinary club runner. Very competitive but not a top athlete.

But as a footballer, he has to be one of the greats. No use overanalysing it imo. He had some great days. Workrate, reading of the game and decision making were top. The fact that he could chip in with special scores was the icing on the cake.

nrico2006

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2011, 11:51:37 PM

No he wasn t. His posture and running style would have driven any running coach nuts and he would just be an ordinary club runner. Very competitive but not a top athlete.

But as a footballer, he has to be one of the greats. No use overanalysing it imo. He had some great days. Workrate, reading of the game and decision making were top. The fact that he could chip in with special scores was the icing on the cake.

I doubt any of us know how good a runner he would have been if he had went that route. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'