Stephen Cluxton
7 (8.8%)
Andy Moran
7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM

put-it-up-again

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 12:32:58 PM
Darran O'Sullivan scored 0-1 against Mayo the semi-final. Other than two early goal chances (both missed) he was well marked by Keith Higgins and had little influence.

Brogan did more in his semi-final than either O'Sullivan or Lacy. Debatable who did more in the final, I'd suggest probably O'Sullivan.

I'd give it to Brogan  with O'Sullivan a worthy winner if he gets the nod. Giving it to Lacey would be rewarding everything that is wrong with football, not Lacey's fault I might add, but why should we reward 13 man defenses?

Take the point about O'Sullivan in the semi-final but still think in the grand scheme of things he was the best individual this year.

Anybody that thinks that is all Lacey was about this year is extremely naive. I saw him play against Cavan, Tyrone, Kildare and Dublin and he is alot more than just a defender relying on those around him. His engine is unreal and as soon as the ball was turned over he was more often than not the man that carried the ball and got it going forward. He was involved and set up a lot of scores.

I remember against Cavan in particular, Seanie Johnston spent more time running after Karl Lacey than the other way around.

Lacey deserves more respect that somebody saying 'sure he had 12 lads around him'.

GalwayBayBoy

Darran O'Sullivan scored 0-1 against Mayo the semi-final. Other than two early goal chances (both missed) he was well marked by Keith Higgins and had little influence.

Wouldn't agree with that. One of the main reason Kerry eventually began pulling away in that game was all the frees O'Sullivan won in the 2nd half. At one stage he must have won 3 or 4 on the trot all in scoreable positions.

muppet

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 15, 2011, 12:51:14 PM

Brogan did more in his semi-final than either O'Sullivan or Lacy. Debatable who did more in the final, I'd suggest probably O'Sullivan.

I'd give it to Brogan  with O'Sullivan a worthy winner if he gets the nod. Giving it to Lacey would be rewarding everything that is wrong with football, not Lacey's fault I might add, but why should we reward 13 man defenses?

Take the point about O'Sullivan in the semi-final but still think in the grand scheme of things he was the best individual this year.

Anybody that thinks that is all Lacey was about this year is extremely naive. I saw him play against Cavan, Tyrone, Kildare and Dublin and he is alot more than just a defender relying on those around him. His engine is unreal and as soon as the ball was turned over he was more often than not the man that carried the ball and got it going forward. He was involved and set up a lot of scores.

I remember against Cavan in particular, Seanie Johnston spent more time running after Karl Lacey than the other way around.

Lacey deserves more respect that somebody saying 'sure he had 12 lads around him'.

I'd rather give the award to someone that played against 13 men than one of the 13 men. The 13 man defense wasn't Lacey's fault so I am not attacking him personally, but why would we reward such negativity?
MWWSI 2017

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2011, 02:34:55 PM
To be honest, that attitude is the same that I witnessed in Croke Park this year from Dubs like yourself. You disgraced our game, and you disgraced your county. Now you've just confirmed it to everyone again what the Dubs are like.

Your main contributions to this site are to spit poisonous bile at Dublin football and its supporters at every oppurtunity. Well all your bitterness can't change the fact that we've got Sam and your lot are franky an irrelevance.

BennyCake

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on October 15, 2011, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2011, 02:34:55 PM
To be honest, that attitude is the same that I witnessed in Croke Park this year from Dubs like yourself. You disgraced our game, and you disgraced your county. Now you've just confirmed it to everyone again what the Dubs are like.

Your main contributions to this site are to spit poisonous bile at Dublin football and its supporters at every oppurtunity. Well all your bitterness can't change the fact that we've got Sam and your lot are franky an irrelevance.

I'm not bitter. I'm telling it like it is. And if I've said something about Dublin fans, it because it needed to be said. Just as I would say anything about other counties if it was needed.

U keep going on about Dublin winning the all Ireland. Big deal. The way you're going on is that you think nobody outside if Dublin should have any sort an opinion because they're not the all Ireland champions!

And if you care to read other threads, i think you'll find i've commented on quite a few. And they weren't Dublin related. So cop yourself on.

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 01:03:50 PM

I'd rather give the award to someone that played against 13 men than one of the 13 men. The 13 man defense wasn't Lacey's fault so I am not attacking him personally, but why would we reward such negativity?
Right so don't give it to an outstanding defender or it's a reward for negativity.

Donegal may have played negatively but there were outstanding individual defensive contributions from McGee, Cassidy and Lacey. The allstars should reflect this though whether or not player of the year does remains to be seen.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 15, 2011, 02:32:54 PM

Right so don't give it to an outstanding defender or it's a reward for negativity.

Donegal may have played negatively but there were outstanding individual defensive contributions from McGee, Cassidy and Lacey. The allstars should reflect this though whether or not player of the year does remains to be seen.

Don't pretend my argument was something it wasn't. I played as a defender myself and have no problem with a defender winning the award. Most defenders don't have the luxury of 7 spare defenders to help out, that is simply my point.
MWWSI 2017

J70

So the player of the year is now also a team award?

muppet

Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 02:56:03 PM

Where did I say that?
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 02:56:37 PM

Where did I say that?

Are you not dismissing Lacey from consideration because you don't want to reward his team's "negativity"? Is the logical conclusion not that you might rate him if he played on a side that was more aesthetically pleasing from your perspective?

mountainboii

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 02:47:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 15, 2011, 02:32:54 PM

Don't pretend my argument was something it wasn't. I played as a defender myself and have no problem with a defender winning the award. Most defenders don't have the luxury of 7 spare defenders to help out, that is simply my point.

Lacey's best work came when Donegal were in possession and going forward. I don't get how he was helped in this regard by the number of defenders left behind him.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 03:04:59 PM

Where did I say that?

Are you not dismissing Lacey from consideration because you don't want to reward his team's "negativity"? Is the logical conclusion not that you might rate him if he played on a side that was more aesthetically pleasing from your perspective?

I am dismissing him from consideration mainly because in his primary function he received assistance from so many other players. Anyone could defend with that much help and anyone can be an attacking defender when you don't have to worry about your man. That is not to say he didn't have a good year, he obviously did. But not enough for POTY in my opinion. Is that ok by you?
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 03:13:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 03:04:59 PM

Where did I say that?

I am dismissing him from consideration mainly because in his primary function he received assistance from so many other players. Anyone could defend with that much help and anyone can be an attacking defender when you don't have to worry about your man. That is not to say he didn't have a good year, he obviously did. But not enough for POTY in my opinion. Is that ok by you?

So basically Jim McGuinness could have thrown any player into Lacey's role and the outcome would have been the same?

muppet

Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 03:37:21 PM
So basically Jim McGuinness could have thrown any player into Lacey's role and the outcome would have been the same?

Can you come up with your own argument instead of trying to put words in my mouth?
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: Gold on October 15, 2011, 11:08:19 AM
Defo Darren O'Sullivan.

Alan Brogan never once excited me--first time ever came into my head re him possibly being POTY was when his brother ssaid it live on TV

You do know A Brogan won three man of the match awards.