Referring to teams as "big and physical"

Started by Orchardman, September 20, 2011, 11:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

I thought about posting this on the thread below about gym monkeys but it looks like the dublin guy that started it is only trying to get a rise out of people. Anyway, this term that you constantly hear, mainly about dublin this year as been "big and physical", kind of does my head in, as does most lazy analysis.

Firstly, I'm delighted to see the dubs win it, always have been my second favourite county for the hype and colour they bring to the game, and have made a lot of good dub mates from playing football abroad. I would agree they have brought fitness to a new level, along with kildare and donegal, who i think will make even greater strides next year. Dublin are very fit, but how are they any more physical than other teams. Their fitness allows them to work like dogs, have numbers and break forward and continue this for 70 minutes. I think its great.

They are not big men. Our armagh men in 2002 were all around 6ft, average height, but were built like tanks. I laughed when Tyrone then picked up this tag. There are no big men in Tyrone, I've been beside hub hughes and cavanagh before, average men and I'm only 6.1 ft. Tyrone, like Dublin now, worked harder and tackled better than a lot of teams before them.
I was looking at the 6 Dublin backs, apart from Ger Brennan they are skinny looking rakes, granted they are only around 22 and will fill out yet. Dublin were much more into their weights 3-4 years ago, and the only tanks they have are the likes of fennell and McConnell on the bench.  Monaghan got this tag as well, and i remember even dick clerkin saying in an interview one time how rubbish it was, that in fact they were mostly small men including himself by midfield standards, but they did of course take a physical approach.

Cork are the only current team that stands out any more than others, numerous men the past few years over 6.5 ft, and superb athletes. Sorry about the long rant guys, just wanted to see what others thought.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orchardman

I don't mind either way jinxy. I play a good bit of ball myself at midfield and would count myself average height compared to most. Before our armagh team of 2002 came along i always admired the meath team of the 90's for the physical approach they took. I thought cork last year were superbly conditioned in terms of having a lot of big men who were also fit, mobile and fast. I'm no expert on strength and conditioning but I'm very interested in it. My comment wasn't a slight on the Dublin defenders for example, as i think mobility and pace are far greater assets.

My gripe is with media analysis down the years using this term, and too be fair a lot of county players using it in boring interviews when describing other teams, but sure what else would they say i guess!

ross4life

For some reason "big and physical" is a great tag for Roscommon teams down the years.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: ross4life on September 20, 2011, 11:41:32 PM
For some reason "big and physical" is a great tag for Roscommon teams down the years.

nasty and dirty Ross is more like it  :P
The likes of enon Gavin & McManus were always likely to get their retaliation in first!

In fairness something I never held against ye, we could have done with a few more, better than nice footballers
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

Big and physical, small and skillful that's how the mantra goes hence if a big un' shows any level of skill he gets tagged as skillful for a big man...

There's a coaching philosophy that runs along the lines that you can teach a big un' the skills but you can't teach the skillful little un' to be a big un'...
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

I thought the point of rugby was that there's a job for everyone, no matter how talentless they are.  Like, em, the county council. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rossfan

Vast majority of Ros players of recent years are small and light.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

When have the recent tyrone team been called big and physical? Never in any article I've ever seen.

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2011, 10:49:31 AM

Vast majority of Ros players of recent years are small and light.

Goes back to the 80s and maybe early 90s but you're correct it still gets used even though the Ross side of the last few years (especially the defenders) are small and light. Even the taller ones like Shine, Kilbride and Mannion would be more skillful than physical. Lazy stereotype.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 21, 2011, 10:43:35 AM
I thought the point of rugby was that there's a job for everyone, no matter how talentless they are.  Like, em, the county council.

Or Longford football....

Anyhow who's talking about rugby? E.G Tony Pulis in soccer follows that philosophy..
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 21, 2011, 11:18:00 AM

Or Longford football....

Anyhow who's talking about rugby? E.G Tony Pulis in soccer follows that philosophy..

Ah ffs, Tony Pulis has two types of player; big strong game lads, and narky little feckers - where does the little, fat, blind, lame bloke go?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 21, 2011, 11:23:16 AM

Or Longford football....

Ah ffs, Tony Pulis has two types of player; big strong game lads, and narky little feckers - where does the little, fat, blind, lame bloke go?

He becomes the ref...
#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 21, 2011, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 21, 2011, 11:23:16 AM

Or Longford football....

He becomes the ref...

Can't argue with that.  :)