Kids at College

Started by Dougal Maguire, September 17, 2011, 10:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

My eldest lad has just left home to start College in Coleraine today. He's only gone and I miss the brat
Careful now

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 17, 2011, 10:47:46 PM
My eldest lad has just left home to start College in Coleraine today. He's only gone and I miss the brat

bit harsh to be starting on a saturday
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Ulick

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 17, 2011, 10:47:46 PM

Does Coleraine still have the highest rate of STDs out of all unis in Europe? We used to put it down to the four woman to every bloke stat in the 90s. Great spot altogether, he's going to have a ball.

The Gs Man

Coleraine? Obviously his A'Level results weren't the best.....
Keep 'er lit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Gs Man on September 17, 2011, 10:55:19 PM
Any need for that comment?

Ulick

Maybe, but I've worked in QUB and TCD for quite at bit and I'd have no hesitation in saying that for most courses outside Law and Medicine, UU are head and shoulders above anything the pre-1992 Irish universities are offering.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on September 17, 2011, 11:22:15 PM

Maybe, but I've worked in QUB and TCD for quite at bit and I'd have no hesitation in saying that for most courses outside Law and Medicine, UU are head and shoulders above anything the pre-1992 Irish universities are offering.
I went to Queen's but I can see in my work that UU produce far more "doers" in Engineering etc. than the theorists from Queen's. I think a lot is down to the Industrial Placement year in UU.

Ulick

Well Queen's does offer a lot of placements now as well but I just get the impression the majority of QUB staff are career academics (lot of bluffers IMO). UU are more in tune with modern teaching approaches and the needs of industry. Their staff have been there and done it. You'd be hard pressed to find a member of QUB staff that has made it, or even worked, in industry.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2011, 12:05:56 AM
Careers dept needs looked at. I have 4 friends who went to Queens. Got degrees in Management, Psychology, History and English respectively. None wanted to teach. Hadn't a clue what to do next. Fcuk it, says the 4, we'll do a masters (in all sorts of shit that I don't understand). They all finished that. Hadn't a clue what to do next. Just applied for random jobs and got them. A year on, they can't get out of their job quick enough, "It's not what I want to do".

Actually, I may be harsh on the careers dept, these fcukers would probably never darken their door. 2 heading to Austrailia.

aye right !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

Too many people doing bullshit degrees.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2011, 12:05:56 AM
Careers dept needs looked at. I have 4 friends who went to Queens. Got degrees in Management, Psychology, History and English respectively. None wanted to teach. Hadn't a clue what to do next. Fcuk it, says the 4, we'll do a masters (in all sorts of shit that I don't understand). They all finished that. Hadn't a clue what to do next. Just applied for random jobs and got them. A year on, they can't get out of their job quick enough, "It's not what I want to do".

Actually, I may be harsh on the careers dept, these fcukers would probably never darken their door. 2 heading to Austrailia.
People know when they take on a course like Psychology whether there is a poor, fair or good chance of employment at the end. There are courses like civil engineering etc that are tied up in the peaks and troughs of the building trade but these days you need to hit the more vocational courses so you are spending 3 or 4 years focusing on study relevant to an actual job. Even then in the current climate there is no guarantee.

ONeill

Great memories I can't remember from my time in Coleraine.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2011, 12:22:58 AM
Quote from: Minder on September 18, 2011, 12:15:06 AM
Too many people doing bullshit degrees.
I tend to agree but they are being encouraged to. The archaic "A degree will stand to you" is alive and well.
That said, I'm doing one myself.
It'll stand to you. Unless it doesn't. You'll know when you're finished.

AhJaysusRef

UU is by far a superior institution in terms of producing students with real world experience. A great emphasis is placed on preparing students for the working world instead of teaching them theory they do not need to know.

The University forges close links with local employers and therefore students are networking with people who will give them jobs from the moment they start their degree. It is usually easy to find a placement and therefore the students are more employable when they come out the other side.   

Lecturers are very approachable and tell students exactly what they need to know to help them succeed.

94% of UU graduates are in full time employment or further education 6 months after they finish their studies.

The aim of UU is to be the best sporting university on the island of ireland and therefore students can realise their ambitions and have a good time while making friends for life.

Minder

Quote from: AhJaysusRef on September 18, 2011, 12:25:34 AM
UU is by far a superior institution in terms of producing students with real world experience. A great emphasis is placed on preparing students for the working world instead of teaching them theory they do not need to know.

The University forges close links with local employers and therefore students are networking with people who will give them jobs from the moment they start their degree. It is usually easy to find a placement and therefore the students are more employable when they come out the other side.   

Lecturers are very approachable and tell students exactly what they need to know to help them
succeed.

94% of UU graduates are in full time employment or further education 6 months after they finish their studies.

The aim of UU is to be the best sporting university on the island of ireland and therefore students can realise their ambitions and have a good time while making friends for life.

What page of the prospectus is that out of horse?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"