Shocks and Tales of the Underdog

Started by DownFanatic, September 15, 2011, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Just wondering do any posters have good examples of county teams or club teams pulling off massive shocks against big favourites in one off Championship matches or even underdogs going on to win county championships when nobody expected them to?

Farrandeelin

Fermanagh against Armagh in 2004 would have to be up there as one of those I suppose. Maybe Fermanagh fans will think differently though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Leitrim winning the Connacht title in 1994 & they had to beat Roscommon,Galway & Mayo to win it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Sam2011

Mayo V Tyrone 2004
Mayo V Dublin 2006
Mayo V Cork 2011

It was a great feeling leaving Croker those days!
They were all pretty sweet but the sweetest would have to be Dublin in 2006.
The lads going down to the Hill for the warm up, going down by seven points, then making an almighty come back to level the game and of course then there was one of the best ever points scored in Croker by Ciaran McDonald to win the match! :)

nrico2006

I remember in 2004 after watching Armagh lose I was overjoyed as I expected Tyrone to ease through to the final, how wrong was I.  Other shocks off-hand are:

- Coleraine winning the Derry SFC last year
- St Galls knocking Dunloy out of the Antrim HC this year
- Pearse Ogs beating Crossmaglen
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: Sam2011 on September 15, 2011, 09:06:45 PM
Mayo V Tyrone 2004
Mayo V Dublin 2006
Mayo V Cork 2011

It was a great feeling leaving Croker those days!
They were all pretty sweet but the sweetest would have to be Dublin in 2006.
The lads going down to the Hill for the warm up, going down by seven points, then making an almighty come back to level the game and of course then there was one of the best ever points scored in Croker by Ciaran McDonald to win the match! :)

Could you not just put down Mayo v (insert name here) . . . ye lads are underdogs most days ;)

Lone Shark

In terms of underdogs, Tullamore beating Birr in the 2009 Offaly SHC semi final is the biggest shock I've ever seen in a championship game. Birr were 1/50 and Tullamore had lost all six group games that year.

None of the games mentioned above would have had the favourites shorter than 1/10, except maybe Dunloy who would have been 1/12 or so.

I've seen league games all right - Down beating Kilkenny in Nowlan Park back in the nineties would have to rank pretty highly - but other than that I couldn't think of any championship 1/50 shots turned over.

AZOffaly

What price would Offaly have been in 1989 when Cloot made a balls of us?

AQMP

6th August 1989...All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Final

Antrim 4-15 Offaly 1-15

Dunno what the odds were, I'd say Antrim were shorter than 50/1 but still a big shock.  Probably my favourite GAA moment...but I'm biased.

Tubberman

Clare winning Munster in '92 must be up there as well.
"There won't be a cow milked in County Clare for at least a week"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmUryJIP8U
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on September 16, 2011, 09:32:20 AM
6th August 1989...All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Final

Antrim 4-15 Offaly 1-15

Dunno what the odds were, I'd say Antrim were shorter than 50/1 but still a big shock.  Probably my favourite GAA moment...but I'm biased.

Snap :)

ONeill

Clonoe winning the Tyrone title a couple of years back.

Clare v Kerry
Sludden v Louth
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Stevie g 8

fermanagh v armagh in 2004
clare v kerry in 1992

haranguerer

Fermanagh had beat meath, and cork very comfortably in the rounds before that. It was the first one live on tv though, so I suppose thats why it garnered all the attention. Some days craic!  ;D

nrico2006

Quote from: haranguerer on September 16, 2011, 01:29:46 PM
Fermanagh had beat meath, and cork very comfortably in the rounds before that. It was the first one live on tv though, so I suppose thats why it garnered all the attention. Some days craic!  ;D

The Cork game was on TV too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'