Best Pint In Dublin

Started by Go on ya boy ye, September 05, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Go on ya boy ye on September 06, 2011, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: ludermor on September 06, 2011, 09:07:59 AM
Quote from: Go on ya boy ye on September 05, 2011, 09:37:59 PM
Alright boys.

Who officially has the best pint of Guinness in Dublin??

Gogarty'sO'Donoghue & Nesbitts
Larry Murphys

Cheers!!
You are joking i hope???

I just heard from years ago they had the best pints....

That was before Haughey got Temple Bar done up to the Hen/Stag destination it now is. Is hard to believe now but this area was a run down off the beaten track area. The pubs in the area were great places to slip off to during the day if you wanted to be left to your own devices.  ;)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Drummerboy

Matchday pint is taken in the Millmount House, top of Richmond Road, 3.50 or Cartys Bar.

Canalman

Totally agree with comments about Mulligan's in town. A surly kip of a place.

The Temple Bar pubs in the early 1990s were some spots alright. Always lads going round trying to sell you stuff (not drugs by the way). Things like boxes of Persil, bootleg tapes/ videos etc.

5 Sams

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2011, 10:53:40 AM
Totally agree with comments about Mulligan's in town. A surly kip of a place.

The Temple Bar pubs in the early 1990s were some spots alright. Always lads going round trying to sell you stuff (not drugs by the way). Things like boxes of Persil, bootleg tapes/ videos etc.

Still happens in Liverpool.....razors, jeans, CDs/DVDs, perfume, leather briefcases, handbags,
The Aristocrat Years

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Tubberman on September 06, 2011, 10:42:46 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 05, 2011, 10:51:03 PM
Mulligans is  a good shout....otherwise O'Donoghues Merrion Row or Toners on Baggot St would be very acceptable.  Dont bother your hole with any of the pubs in Temple Bar...pints might be OK but you'll pay two fortunes for one....with the honourable exception of The Palace...

Pure slop last couple of times I was in there. Plus they just fired them out at you, with the head running down the sides of the glass. Complete mess of a pint.
The Dame Tavern is pretty good for the centre of town. Have heard the gravediggers is a great spot, must head out some time.

O'Donaghue's of Merrion Row is a heartbreaking spot. It should be a jewel, and the back bar is a shrine to Irish music. But the staff are swine and pour the pints like they were pouring slops to pigs. I'll never go back.

Canalman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 07, 2011, 11:46:16 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 06, 2011, 10:42:46 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 05, 2011, 10:51:03 PM
Mulligans is  a good shout....otherwise O'Donoghues Merrion Row or Toners on Baggot St would be very acceptable.  Dont bother your hole with any of the pubs in Temple Bar...pints might be OK but you'll pay two fortunes for one....with the honourable exception of The Palace...

Pure slop last couple of times I was in there. Plus they just fired them out at you, with the head running down the sides of the glass. Complete mess of a pint.
The Dame Tavern is pretty good for the centre of town. Have heard the gravediggers is a great spot, must head out some time.

O'Donaghue's of Merrion Row is a heartbreaking spot. It should be a jewel, and the back bar is a shrine to Irish music. But the staff are swine and pour the pints like they were pouring slops to pigs. I'll never go back.

Couldn't agree with you more ICC about O'Donoghue's............. would never darken its doors.

Bar Toner's, there is imo not a decent pub on that long continuous street between St Stephen's Green and Waterloo Road over the canal. Doheny's massively overrated imo.

neilthemac

I like the Dame Tavern across from Stags Head

good pints
owner behind the bar
never too crowded

fellas likely to wander in off the street with a guitar and belt out a few tunes.
plenty of pedestrian traffic wandering past to perk the interest

balladmaker

When your team wins, they all taste nice.  One of the consistent pubs for a very decent pint is Doheny & Nesbitts, hasn't let me down yet.

Agree with the comments about O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row, a tourist trap living off The Dubliners pics on the walls and consistently serving pints from barmen who don't give a damn anymore.

The Subbie

Again agreed about O'Donoghues, should be a mecca but last time i went the bar staff were diva wankers and the stout was shite.
The Hogan Stand on North Circular Road is a decent spot for pre match pints, provided you get in early enough, red parrot should be avoided at all costs.

South Side pinting spots slatterys @the top of Bath Avenue, off the beaten track for a match day but pints that are milk without fail, up the road the Beggars Bush pub has great stout consistently.

I never got a good pint anywhere on Baggot Street ever.

ludermor

Quote from: neilthemac on September 08, 2011, 06:53:34 PM
I like the Dame Tavern across from Stags Head

good pints
owner behind the bar
never too crowded

fellas likely to wander in off the street with a guitar and belt out a few tunes.
plenty of pedestrian traffic wandering past to perk the interest
Agree 100%, great when you go into a pub and look at a painting on the wall, then look around and see half the characters in the painting sitting beside you.

Canalman

Quote from: The Subbie on September 09, 2011, 06:14:01 AM
Again agreed about O'Donoghues, should be a mecca but last time i went the bar staff were diva w**kers and the stout was shite.
The Hogan Stand on North Circular Road is a decent spot for pre match pints, provided you get in early enough, red parrot should be avoided at all costs.

South Side pinting spots slatterys @the top of Bath Avenue, off the beaten track for a match day but pints that are milk without fail, up the road the Beggars Bush pub has great stout consistently.

Agree with most of that post. Slattery's in Ringsend (as I would call it) is a class spot altogether. Great for the midweek sneaky pint. Not too keen on the other pubs in the area.
The pubs in Ballsbridge itself are terrible places. Had the misfortune to drink there after a Leinster rugby game ( in itself a misfortune).

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Canalman on September 09, 2011, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on September 09, 2011, 06:14:01 AM
Again agreed about O'Donoghues, should be a mecca but last time i went the bar staff were diva w**kers and the stout was shite.

Agree with most of that post. Slattery's in Ringsend (as I would call it) is a class spot altogether. Great for the midweek sneaky pint. Not too keen on the other pubs in the area.
The pubs in Ballsbridge itself are terrible places. Had the misfortune to drink there after a Leinster rugby game ( in itself a misfortune).

That place was my local for a year or so, the main barman was a lad called Noel, grupmy f**ker, but once you got to know how he worked he was grand, if you shouted at him or waved at him you never got served, once you learnt that it was fine. They used to have to have a second price list for the pensioners.  Tthe bar in the Halfway House on the Navan Road has about 60% Guinness drinkers and I dont know of a better place for a pint. Mcgraths on dorset street for match day.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

red hander

Cleary's under the bridge opposite Connolly, always drop in there when I'm down.  In last Friday before the Slovakia game ... delicious

John79

The Plough in Marlborough Street is a complete toilet, but what wild craic my uni team had a tour to Co. Dublin about ten years ago. Don't know if it's still there but it was a dive, but the Guinness was flowing and they played Amhran na bhfiann about ten times a day. Was there for a few beers a few years ago, but don't know if it's still there - very close to the city centre but enjoyed it.

The Subbie

Another consistently good spot would be Ned O'Connells beside the portobello, great stout in Neds but the clientele can be cliquey.
Smiths in Terenure( the front bar bit not the lounge) again consistently good stout.
Taveys on Church street is a good spot for a pint with yet more colorful characters in abundance, it's an early shop or at least was when I worked beside it