Worst game of all time

Started by rrhf, September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 01, 2011, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM
In response to what I think is Pat Spillane inspired overreaction (no difference in Spillane and Marty Boyle in that context in my eyes) the people have their final and its Kerry V Dublin, should be a good game.  But genuinely if people think back to high profile Croke Park games what is the worst you have ever witnessed.

Mine is Donegal V Mayo 1992 AISF.  It was putrid - the only difference is that you didnt have Spillane and his sidekicks doing a job on it.  The level of skills, attacking and defensive that day was far inferior to last Sunday. But it didnt matter.  Pat is priceless at creating fear in the GAA public that their games are being sullied and changed forever asnd for the worst.     

Have to say I agree about the 1992 game, was standing on the Hill that day as Armagh were in the Minor game against Roscommon.  The difference between the 2 games was so different,  the minor game was a joy to watch, Dermot Washington was some ball player!

+1

I had the priviledge of paying $20 to watch thon shite in a bar in New York. Couldn't even get hammered as I togging for 'Donegal' meself later in the day (which ended with me signing into a public hospital as Edward Ward to get a pile of stitches in my head. So good day all round).

As for Pat, Sunday was infinitely better than the one sided basketball matches of his day as the respective sizes of the attendances would attest. An english mate of mine was over for the rugby at the weekend and he made it out to croke park on sunday. He thought it was great stuff altogether 'very intense, very tactical, great atmosphere'. I wonder what he'd have thought of Kerry's semi finals against Monaghan 79 or Ourma 1982?
Don't Panic

J70

Fermanagh's win over Donegal in Brewster in '03. As dull and unpassionate a game as I've ever seen.

blanketattack

The worst game I ever saw...

1910   Leinster SFC Final:   Louth 0-3 Dublin 0-0

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

thejuice

Watched a DVD of the 1987 Meath Vs Cork final.

Dire dire stuff.

With the exception of Brian Stafford who was head and shoulders above everyone else on the field it was almost un-watchable.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

Connaught Final 18xx

Galway 0-00 Mayo (?) 0-00 FT

Game was abandoned with 5 minutes to go, as the ball burst and there was no replacement.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Heffo here I will mention Cork V Mayo now, after your rant.

Cork V Mayo Semi-Final 1993 has to be up there on the poor front.

Cork 5-15 Mayo 0-10  :'(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2011, 03:03:43 PM
Connaught Final 18xx

Galway 0-00 Mayo (?) 0-00 FT

Game was abandoned with 5 minutes to go, as the ball burst and there was no replacement.

Puke football perfected  ::)

Bingo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 01, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
Kildare v Fermanagh 2008 was the worst championship match I've ever been at despite the result.

I think it was still scoreless after 25 mins!

This. Think Monaghan played Kerry after it, was a shocking game. The whole crowd cheered the first score.

Billys Boots

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 01, 2011, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM
In response to what I think is Pat Spillane inspired overreaction (no difference in Spillane and Marty Boyle in that context in my eyes) the people have their final and its Kerry V Dublin, should be a good game.  But genuinely if people think back to high profile Croke Park games what is the worst you have ever witnessed.

Mine is Donegal V Mayo 1992 AISF.  It was putrid - the only difference is that you didnt have Spillane and his sidekicks doing a job on it.  The level of skills, attacking and defensive that day was far inferior to last Sunday. But it didnt matter.  Pat is priceless at creating fear in the GAA public that their games are being sullied and changed forever asnd for the worst.     

Have to say I agree about the 1992 game, was standing on the Hill that day as Armagh were in the Minor game against Roscommon.  The difference between the 2 games was so different,  the minor game was a joy to watch, Dermot Washington was some ball player!

I was at it too - putrid.  >:(
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jinxy

Meath vs Galway 2011.
Awful muck.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AQMP

I come from Antrim...far too many to choose from!

ross4life

Connacht final 1993 Mayo 1-5 Roscommon 0-7,Leitrim 0-6 Roscommon 0-7 (2006 league game) were two of the worst games i've been too & i was at the last Kerry v Dublin game & it wasn't much of a match.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Last year's Mayo county final would have to be mentioned. I know other circumstances have to be taken into account, but after losing to Longford I thought there was really no hope at all for football in Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gold

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 01, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
Kildare v Fermanagh 2008 was the worst championship match I've ever been at despite the result.

I think it was still scoreless after 25 mins!

That was unreal.

It was all Fermanagh the week after they'd lost the Ulster Final. They were on top for each of those first 25mins but simply couldnt score. Free after free was missed and then they just gave up.

Waste of money for anyone in Croker that day
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."