Worst game of all time

Started by rrhf, September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

In response to what I think is Pat Spillane inspired overreaction (no difference in Spillane and Marty Boyle in that context in my eyes) the people have their final and its Kerry V Dublin, should be a good game.  But genuinely if people think back to high profile Croke Park games what is the worst you have ever witnessed.

Mine is Donegal V Mayo 1992 AISF.  It was putrid - the only difference is that you didnt have Spillane and his sidekicks doing a job on it.  The level of skills, attacking and defensive that day was far inferior to last Sunday. But it didnt matter.  Pat is priceless at creating fear in the GAA public that their games are being sullied and changed forever asnd for the worst.     

irunthev

Evidently Pat's knowledge of football atrocities doesn't stretch to the Corn na nOg Final of 1984. Final score St Coleman's 2-9 Omagh CBS 0-0. My therapist reckons it's time to let go.... but I don't think I'm ready just yet.

Ulick

In fairness to Pat he's not that far off this time, though to me the Donegal Antrim game earlier in the summer was (slightly) worse. The 2003 football final was pretty dire as well, as were most of Tyrones games that year. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM
In response to what I think is Pat Spillane inspired overreaction (no difference in Spillane and Marty Boyle in that context in my eyes) the people have their final and its Kerry V Dublin, should be a good game.  But genuinely if people think back to high profile Croke Park games what is the worst you have ever witnessed.

Mine is Donegal V Mayo 1992 AISF.  It was putrid - the only difference is that you didnt have Spillane and his sidekicks doing a job on it.  The level of skills, attacking and defensive that day was far inferior to last Sunday. But it didnt matter.  Pat is priceless at creating fear in the GAA public that their games are being sullied and changed forever asnd for the worst.     

Have to say I agree about the 1992 game, was standing on the Hill that day as Armagh were in the Minor game against Roscommon.  The difference between the 2 games was so different,  the minor game was a joy to watch, Dermot Washington was some ball player!

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Ulick on September 01, 2011, 09:58:35 AM
In fairness to Pat he's not that far off this time, though to me the Donegal Antrim game earlier in the summer was (slightly) worse. The 2003 football final was pretty dire as well, as were most of Tyrones games that year.

The 2003 Ulster Final was one of the best games of the decade. As for the other Tyrone games in 2003, Tyone played great football in many of them - maybe weren't best for the neutral cause were one sided but certainly were good open games. Think Tyrone scored 20+ in about 4 championship games that year.

screenexile

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 01, 2011, 10:35:26 AM

The 2003 Ulster Final was one of the best games of the decade. As for the other Tyrone games in 2003, Tyone played great football in many of them - maybe weren't best for the neutral cause were one sided but certainly were good open games. Think Tyrone scored 20+ in about 4 championship games that year.

1993 Ulster Final finished 0-8 to 0-6 and was a brutal game. In fairness that was more to do with conditions and less to do with the style of football employed but it was still a brutal game!

thewobbler

The Kerry vs Mayo All Ireland finals were as bad a matches as I've seen.

I'd rather watch a low scoring bloodfest any day of the week ahead of a mismatch.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

What people? I fail to understand this Dublin media hyped rivalry of the ages. Give me Cork V Meath anyday.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2011, 10:48:35 AM
The Kerry vs Mayo All Ireland finals were as bad a matches as I've seen.

I'd rather watch a low scoring bloodfest any day of the week ahead of a mismatch.

What about the Kerry    3-13    Cork    1-9 Final.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

nrico2006

Most of Tyrones games that year were anything but dire.  The Final was one of the worst I have ever watched but that was more to do with the gym-loving apple munchers and their negative style of play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

1989 AIF. "Great free-flowing football".  You know yourself - you might as well have been watching Riverdance for all the resemblance it had to a good hard, competitive football match.

snoopdog

Quote from: irunthev on September 01, 2011, 09:47:30 AM
Evidently Pat's knowledge of football atrocities doesn't stretch to the Corn na nOg Final of 1984. Final score St Coleman's 2-9 Omagh CBS 0-0. My therapist reckons it's time to let go.... but I don't think I'm ready just yet.
you obviously werent in the Newry team so.
wee James would have been in the College team that year i think

I would also prefer Sundays game to a one sided hammering. nothing worse than looking forward to a game all week only for it to turn out a no contest from early on.
yes it isnt pretty to watch but at least its a contest

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare v Fermanagh 2008 was the worst championship match I've ever been at despite the result.

I think it was still scoreless after 25 mins!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Lecale2

1983 SFC final Dublin v Galway.

Canalman

Dublin v Westmeath 1/4 final some years ago .Awful awful stuff. Freezing cold for August also.