Where next for Donegal?

Started by Orior, August 29, 2011, 09:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Apologise for the 13 man defense and we'll call it quits.
MWWSI 2017

cadence

Kerry Mike

you could say its Backs to the Future
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

cadence

imtommygunn

Quote from: heffo on August 30, 2011, 10:28:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 30, 2011, 10:19:03 PM
the referee seemed to forget Dublin could concede a foul in the last 5 or 10 minutes. (The Dublin corner back had his elbow on the ball while on the ground on the 20 - Donegal would have equalised - and that was one of the most ridiculous reffing decisions I have ever seen at this level as it was blatant

Thanks be to jaysus that Deegan was reffing it Sunday and not you.

Under what rule what you have given this 'blatant foul' that would've entitled Donegal to an equaliser?

Pray tell please enlighten us.

Elbow arm and all were on the ball - that is what. All commentators etc said it.

I ain't from Donegal and don't care that Dublin won. There was a series of play where there were either four or five fouls against Donegal in one passage of play - the last being the off the ground incident. The ref gave none of them - Dublin scored.

Watch it back yourself.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ck

Have seen a few comments on here now referring to the Dublin fans on Sunday? What happened?
I know there is a rough element to the Dubs "hill/soccer" contingent but what happened on Sunday?

adevvabr

Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2011, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: cadence on August 30, 2011, 09:51:18 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 30, 2011, 09:35:19 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 30, 2011, 01:19:19 PM
Quote from: Goldengreen on August 30, 2011, 12:20:02 PM
After all Tyrone we crucified when they appeared with their blanked defense now coming up on ten years of they are lauded, well donegal are at the start of that journey...

Fair dues there Goldengreen, you've every right to be extremely proud of your team.

But, you're incorrect in that statement above (to equate our system with yours): at no time in our games at any stage of our evolutionary cycle did we utilise the single solitary attacker in the oppostion half for our kickouts as a strategic ploy, never.

If what we employed was a 'blanket defence', then your lads were employing a 'fire blanket defence'.
More like a duvet defence. It covers more than a blanket.

If I were a Donegal fan, Gallagher talking about upping the fitness for next year would be worrying. More of the same only better. It is understandable McGuinness making Donegal harder to beat this year but this tactic may not be as effective next year.

If Brogan had scored a goal with that early chance or Kildares goal been allowed the plan was out the window and there didn't seem to be a plan B.

i don't necessarily think that more fitness will mean that we'll play as defensive as against dublin. i think what mcg and ng are going to ask of the players next year is to defend and counterattack for the full 70.

i must confess though, the more stick we get, the uglier i want us to be and the more i want our game to be about graftin' and  turning games into the type of battle we saw sunday. i was going to say i hope we have a more varied game, but i honestly couldn't care less, as long as we win.

But you wont. The system is quite easily beaten. It took dublin 55  minutes to figure it out.
It will never work again.

IMO if donegal played dublin again this weekend with full line ups, dublin would do well to surpass there total of 8 scores.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 30, 2011, 11:14:48 PM
the referee seemed to forget Dublin could concede a foul in the last 5 or 10 minutes. (The Dublin corner back had his elbow on the ball while on the ground on the 20 - Donegal would have equalised - and that was one of the most ridiculous reffing decisions I have ever seen at this level as it was blatant

Under what rule what you have given this 'blatant foul' that would've entitled Donegal to an equaliser?

Elbow arm and all were on the ball - that is what. All commentators etc said it.

I ain't from Donegal and don't care that Dublin won. There was a series of play where there were either four or five fouls against Donegal in one passage of play - the last being the off the ground incident. The ref gave none of them - Dublin scored.

Watch it back yourself.

I agree with you that Deegan seemed to give every benefit of the doubt to Dublin in the last 10 minutes (no doubt compensating for the sending off which I'm sure he was regretting), but you said "that was one of the most ridiculous reffing decisions I have ever seen at this level as it was blatant". I say that is one of the most ridiculous criticism of a refereeing decision I have seen at this level since Lynchboy thought a referee could only move a free forward once (sorry Lynchboy) as it is ignorant.  ;D

A player can touch the ball on the ground with any part of the body except the hand. It's not soccer where a ball touching the arm is regarded as "handball" (You're not a St John's man by any chance?  :D). Rule 4.5 - look it up. Unless you're invoking rule 4.4 where it says lying on the ball is a foul. Can you back up your indignation?

And as for invoking the commentator exemption ::) They get paid a pile of money to spew the biggest pile of sh*te. The least that should be expected of them is that they read the bl**dy rulebook. The great commentators would have us believe that Gooch lifting the ball with his heels was a "clear foul". It's not! Lifting with the knees, definitely (rule 4.3). Lifting with the feet, no, it is not a foul. At least not in the GAA rulebook.

If we're going to lambast referees on their decisions then let's make sure it has some basis in fact in the GAA rulebook and not some other sport's rulebook or hand-me-down folklore! They have a hard enough job as it is.

heffo

Elbow arm and all were on the ball - that is what.

You said elbow - this is not a foul.

Mike Sheehy

Watch it back yourself.

If the ref favoured dublin..thank god. That is what Donegal deserved.
I just hope they dont extend that to the final !

dublin7

Quote from: ck on August 30, 2011, 11:40:53 PM
Have seen a few comments on here now referring to the Dublin fans on Sunday? What happened?
I know there is a rough element to the Dubs "hill/soccer" contingent but what happened on Sunday?
Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booed donegal when they kicked a free kick backwards & when they started going from side to side and/or backwards constantly handpassing instead of god forbid trying to go forward & score.

They did boo donegal freetakers (donegal fans did same for dubs players) & seeing as donegal PLAYERS were roaring abuse at dubs players taking frees I don't see how people can complain

lynchbhoy

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on August 31, 2011, 10:24:55 AM
A player can touch the ball on the ground with any part of the body except the hand. It's not soccer where a ball touching the arm is regarded as "handball" (You're not a St John's man by any chance?  :D). Rule 4.5 - look it up. Unless you're invoking rule 4.4 where it says lying on the ball is a foul. Can you back up your indignation?
Thought it was the hand that touched off the ball.
Ref was poor in the first number of minutes when he awarded three very soft frees to Dublin.
I dont agree that he was overly harsh on Donegal in the last 10 mins.
I thought he blew up early, but that was Donegals own fault for time wasting that the ref obv decided didnt deserve aditional time for - which he was probably correct about.

We all know the commentators are cack, so dont pay any heed to them.

yer shooting th messanger here, i was only recanting what I recall the guy teaching us. However, this was one very small item in a litany of errors from mr deegan, who I have seen a good few times this season and imo isnt a great ref.

and by the way- hold yer horses here..
" "that was one of the most ridiculous reffing decisions I have ever seen at this level as it was blatant". I say that is one of the most ridiculous criticism of a refereeing decision I have seen at this level since Lynchboy thought a referee could only move a free forward once (sorry Lynchboy) as it is ignorant."
yer way OTT there- as you have already admited , what I said is actually correct- but only for rules of dissent, not for technical rules- so it wasnt an 'ignorant' criticsm of the ref, just n this case incorrect- if it was a technical foul and not one of dissent.
Its stupid inconsistencies in the rules that confuse players as well as referees and such anomalies need to be resolved which would help a lot in our games.

Orangemac

Aside from the trophies won surely the fact that the whole country is one way or the other discussing Donegals discipline and resilience a sign of the strides JMG has made this year.

Honestly 12 months ago if it had been said that 1 team would reach the AI semi final and restrict Dublin to 8 points would Donegal have been in anyones top 5 guesses?