Where next for Donegal?

Started by Orior, August 29, 2011, 09:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Having become Ulster Champions, and reached the All-Ireland semis, what should Donegal do now?

Revert to the traditional 1-3-3-2-3-3 formation?

Build on the defensive tactic? Strengthen it by deploying a 1-5-6-2-1-0? Maybe even go to a 1-6-6-1-1-0?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear ón Srath Bán

After being hailed as the Redeemer for the past year in his native Donegal, the words 'Jesus Christ' spat at Jim Mc Guinness yesterday, however, carried a whole different meaning.

I suspect he has the Donegal lads training already on how to build a human wall on the goal line, lying horizontally on top of each other -- he's already launched an appeal for anyone over 20-stone, anyone!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

I suspect Donegal will attempt something similar next year again, but they may tweak it by leaving two or three up front instead of just one. You do need to score. I suspect he may continue with the physical conditioning, as I think Dublin wore them down yesterday a bit. In the first half Donegal were winning the physical battles, in the second Dublin were.

From Jimmy's perspective he'll be saying they were close, and they were. And if they had made the final Kerry would not relish facing them either.

So of I were him I'd be trying to up our scoring production just a little, and also trying to lift our physical fitness to the level of Dublin, Kildare etc. (I know they beat Kildare, but that was nick or nothing between them and Kildare were fairly banged up injury wise).

The one thing is that it should stop too many clones of Donegal, because it's not seen as the silver bullet. Tyrone's approach was seen in that light which is why we had Westmeath, Offaly (sadly) and a host of other teams doing the 'made in Taiwan' version.

macdanger2

I agree, I'd say JMcG will stick with the gameplan for the most part - it's not pretty to watch but he won't (and shouldn't) care if they continue winning. I presume he will try to maintain the soldity in defence while creating (and taking) more scoring chances.

I'd say there's not too many teams who will fancy playing them next year.

Fair play to Jimmy McGuinness, him and the team have given the Donegal supporters their best summer in a long time.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 29, 2011, 10:00:27 AM

From Jimmy's perspective he'll be saying they were close, and they were. And if they had made the final Kerry would not relish facing them either.

If anyone had asked Donegal back in January how would they like to win Div 2 of the NFL , the Ulster Final and get within a kick of the ball of getting to the all Ireland they'd have snapped the hand, arm and everything else off you.

Once again the need to have forwards in Gaelic football was shown yesterday ( thankfully) as no matter what defensive system you have ... you won't win big games unless you get ball up to forwards ( who have to be up there in the first place).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

Rugby league would be an option.

INDIANA

Quote from: Bingo on August 29, 2011, 11:10:56 AM
Rugby league would be an option.
olympic handball could be another. terrible to see michael murphy being reduced to a div 11 junior e footballer.

ck

Jim McGuinness knows no other form of football than the 13 man defense, so expect more of the same. If Donegal went man for man this year they would have lost to Antrim in the first round. Donegal are avarage footballers playing a system of football which has made super stars out of some of their defenders. Irony GAA style.

The GAA may have to look at only so many players being allowed to come back onto their own half or something, because I saw kids turn their back on the game yesterday in Sligo and watch the Utd game, and that's a worry. The GAA cannot allow more Jim McGuinness types to destroy our game!

EagleLord

But introducing a few more crazy rules like Jarlath Burns suggested yesterday is not the answer surely, as Harte said, its just silly to have the referee countign fouls etc. One simple rule very easily implemented and easily enforced is the 'back-court' rule in basketball, I think its still in place in the 7s game?? i.e. when the ball passes the halfway line, it cant come back.

Oak Leafer

As a Derry man, this defensive and cynical system of play has already frustrated me no end, however i think it has to be pointed out that Donegal's defenders are all outstanding players. To suggest otherwise shows your lack of knowldege. Other teams may copy the syatme but you must have the players to implement it. Frank McGlynn, Neil McGee, Anthony Thompson, Karl Lacey and Kevin Cassidy would walk onto most county teams, Jesus i wish we had 2 of them!

Bingo

There is no easy solution to it, if there was the system they use wouldn't be as effective.

Also, it should be worth noting that only a small % of teams apply such a system, so should every team be punished by rule changes that may restrict their own entertaining style because we want to stop a system like Donegal.

One of the best solutions for other teams to beat this system on a regular basis. If Donegal repeat this system next year, they'll get a beating some day using it and players will lose faith it in to a certain extent. This year the players had a hunger to use and stay with the system plus they had players suited to it. That might not always been the case. A team will have to be in super shape to use it and thankfully alot of teams wouldn't be in a position to do us.

Rossfan

Quote from: EagleLord on August 29, 2011, 11:48:29 AM
But introducing a few more crazy rules like Jarlath Burns suggested yesterday is not the answer surely, as Harte said, its just silly to have the referee countign fouls etc. One simple rule very easily implemented and easily enforced is the 'back-court' rule in basketball, I think its still in place in the 7s game?? i.e. when the ball passes the halfway line, it cant come back.
So does that mean that the other team can't put the ball back into your half  ;D
Refs can't count four steps so how the hell will they keep count of the number of fouls ?
Abolish the fcukin handpass (or restrict it to you get a handpass can't play it off with your hand) , coach players in kicking the effin FOOTball  and attack at pace not 40 sideways passes to get to the half way line as the other team all run back to block the 45 metre line.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

I'd expect Jim Mcguinness to do the same again next year with a few minor tweaks .
the tweaks being come changes and ideas on how and when to attack.
Jim is like an American football coach now at this stage, he will no doubt try to create 'set plays' that Donegal can 'run' at certain times and win scores.
I would suspect that he might look for a more potent freetaker as Murphy and McFadden are not as good from 40 metres out...If donegal had Cluxton yesterday they would have won.

Durkan a great keeper and shot stopper but a GK that can kick 45's and more would seem to be the new desired comodity in football right now and for the near future.

lynchbhoy

...also reckon that Donegal will not be as copetitive next season - the fatigue their bodies will have to feel after such a season of three hour traning sessions and the amount of work they take to keep up such performances- well the body can hardly take that for too long....
something will have to give, if not next seaosn then def the season afterwards, but I suspect that half of them will be inj if they all continue training from Christmas again...

McGuinness is smart, so prob will know to rest them until well into the NFL

Hardy

The ten meanest defences in this year's Championship, by average score conceded per game:

Donegal    9.50
Kildare    11.71
Dublin     12.20
Galway    13.00
Kerry      13.60
Longford  13.67
Mayo      14.20
Meath     14.25
Wexford  14.40
Cork       14.60