All-Ireland Senior Football final - Kerry v Dublin 18/09/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 22, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

QuoteAlot of talk about Galvin not named to start and whether this is a yerra yerra. Jack O'Connor has not tended to go down this route and I think holding him until perhaps half time does make some sense. Getting 35 minutes at full tilt from Paul and the lift to crowd and colleagues when he comes on is worth something.

I'm in that boat too! Donnacha Walsh is well worth his starting place , very underrated but is a great team player
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Jinxy

Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2011, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2011, 02:09:42 PM
I wonder will Dublin put Barry Cahill on Declan O'Sullivan. I don't think he would suit Ger Brennan..

No chance - Brennan won't be picking him up either.

I'd put Kevin Nolan on him.
James McCarthy has the legs for him but he doesn't have the brain yet.
Far too fond of diving in.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kerry Mike

I'm guessing Nolan as well for Declan but you don't know with those Dubs, I've a feeling they want to win but to also to win sexy, the Jackeens on the Hill dont like this ultra defensive style given their booing of Donegal 3 weeks ago, I feel they want to go the traditional route and man-up one on one with Kerry  ;)
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Blowitupref

Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2011, 03:45:45 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2011, 03:36:32 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2011, 01:57:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2011, 01:16:07 PM
Paul Flynn would make my team before the highly overrated, not to mention out of form, Donaghy. Galvin isn't starting so he doesn't come into the reckoning but even if he did he hasnt done enough this year to oust flynn.

If you were going on this years form alone then you could be right, but otherwise Galvin & Donaghy have done too much to be ousted by someone who is potentially an all-star this year.

By the way, since all the dubs seemed to be determined to avoid any appearance of confidence in their team I'll fill the breach!! I expect Dublin to win this game as Kerry have been fairly average all year and if they weren't wearing the green and gold few would give them a chance.

I don't think anyone is really trying to play down our chances - I would genuinely say Kerry are four three/four point favourites.

I think we've a good chance though - as Dinny said, we don't know what to expect from either midfield and if Dublin can get their matchups in defence right then we've a decent chance.

Kerry going into a final only playing average is irrelevant though imo - they've shown time and again that they can hit top performance when required.

The analysis on Monday will be either that Kerry's 'old guard' had the legs run around them by a hungrier Dublin or it'll be the same as after the Hurling when there will be interviews with Tomas O'Se, Tom O'Sullivan talking about how hurt they were after the Down game last year and then being written off spurred them into destroying the Brogans etc.

At the moment I'm far too busy with tickets and calls about tickets to worry about Sunday and that seems to be the same for most Dublin fans - it'll settle down by Friday hopefully.

Agreed you only have to go back two years to see that, Kerry struggled v Sligo,Longford but blew Dublin away. IMO Kerry haven't been average this year they probably played the best football seen this year in the 1st half v Cork & they comfortably beat all the other teams after that match. Did Dublin reach their peak v Tyrone? if so they could be like Tipp in the Hurling final e.g unable to reach that level for when it matters.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

heffo

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 14, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2011, 03:45:45 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2011, 03:36:32 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2011, 01:57:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2011, 01:16:07 PM
Paul Flynn would make my team before the highly overrated, not to mention out of form, Donaghy. Galvin isn't starting so he doesn't come into the reckoning but even if he did he hasnt done enough this year to oust flynn.

If you were going on this years form alone then you could be right, but otherwise Galvin & Donaghy have done too much to be ousted by someone who is potentially an all-star this year.

By the way, since all the dubs seemed to be determined to avoid any appearance of confidence in their team I'll fill the breach!! I expect Dublin to win this game as Kerry have been fairly average all year and if they weren't wearing the green and gold few would give them a chance.

I don't think anyone is really trying to play down our chances - I would genuinely say Kerry are four three/four point favourites.

I think we've a good chance though - as Dinny said, we don't know what to expect from either midfield and if Dublin can get their matchups in defence right then we've a decent chance.

Kerry going into a final only playing average is irrelevant though imo - they've shown time and again that they can hit top performance when required.

The analysis on Monday will be either that Kerry's 'old guard' had the legs run around them by a hungrier Dublin or it'll be the same as after the Hurling when there will be interviews with Tomas O'Se, Tom O'Sullivan talking about how hurt they were after the Down game last year and then being written off spurred them into destroying the Brogans etc.

At the moment I'm far too busy with tickets and calls about tickets to worry about Sunday and that seems to be the same for most Dublin fans - it'll settle down by Friday hopefully.

Did Dublin reach their peak v Tyrone? if so they could be like Tipp in the Hurling final e.g unable to reach that level for when it matters.

Thats the thing. We know Kerry can spring the performance level when needed. We know Dublin played very well against Tyrone but until they actually win an AI we don't know whether they can turn it on and off.

moysider

Quote from: Canalman on September 14, 2011, 09:18:12 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 13, 2011, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on September 13, 2011, 09:49:06 PM
Is that Timmy Dowd in the background?

I think so. And the Dub in background is John Caffrey.

Could be mistaken but I think the Dub is John Kearns.
[/quote

You re right. It is John Kearns.

Captain Scarlet

lads sorry to hijack the thread but there is a Blue September event on Friday in Dtwo.
here is their facebook page with all the details. it's basically a male cancer awareness thing.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/blueseptireland
we're showing the 95 final and then there is a celtic rock band after.

in terms of the match after seeing what andy moran did to o'se surely bbrogan would fancy his chances and then you have connolly and a brogan. cillian young isnt a real corner back so is there for the taking.
the dubs second string midfield is better than kerry's first choice. all depends on gooch and donaghy and i can see o'carroll doing a job with cullen dropping in to protect.
if dublin keep the head they can do it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Kerry Mike

2 other events on the weekend in Croker besides the finals on Sunday for anyone interested

Seamus Moynihan gives the legends tour in Croke Park at 2pm
http://www.crokepark.ie/gaa-museum/events/legends-tour-with-seamus-moynihan

Fever pitch on Saturday Evening at 7pm.
http://www.crokepark.ie/conference-centre/fever-pitch-2011
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 14, 2011, 08:29:32 PM
lads sorry to hijack the thread but there is a Blue September event on Friday in Dtwo.
here is their facebook page with all the details. it's basically a male cancer awareness thing.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/blueseptireland
we're showing the 95 final and then there is a celtic rock band after.

in terms of the match after seeing what andy moran did to o'se surely bbrogan would fancy his chances and then you have connolly and a brogan. cillian young isnt a real corner back so is there for the taking.
the dubs second string midfield is better than kerry's first choice. all depends on gooch and donaghy and i can see o'carroll doing a job with cullen dropping in to protect.
if dublin keep the head they can do it.

Could somebody show me the stinkers that  Sheehan and Maher played in ? Is there some parallel all ireland competition going on that nobody except the "Kerrys midfield are weak" crowd are watching ? I'm not saying they are great and, being honest,  I'm not convinced by Sheehan as a midfileder myself  so Dublin might well have an advantage  here....but the level of underestimation is getting laughable at this stage.

Captain Scarlet

mike i wasnt saying they were muck or anything. i suppose they are victims of what is expected of a kerry engine room.
also to be fair a lot of the fear and worry of their capabilities os coming from within the county.
the dubs deffo have the upper hand here. as i said they are victims of what the kingdom have come to expect. they are a decent midfield by most county's standards, just not kerry's.

to lighten the mood here is the latest from the Nob Nation crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtlAQw9-yhE
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Dinny Breen

Captain Scarlet, did you not know your are not allow criticise anything to do with Kerry football only eulogise...
#newbridgeornowhere

cadence

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 15, 2011, 10:55:27 AM
mike i wasnt saying they were muck or anything. i suppose they are victims of what is expected of a kerry engine room.
also to be fair a lot of the fear and worry of their capabilities os coming from within the county.
the dubs deffo have the upper hand here. as i said they are victims of what the kingdom have come to expect. they are a decent midfield by most county's standards, just not kerry's.

to lighten the mood here is the latest from the Nob Nation crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtlAQw9-yhE

very metro the two lads. galvin destroys all challengers to his metro crown with the power of his lethal armpits. kapow! kapow!

Kerry Mike

Breaking news: change at centre half back for the Kingdom.

Eoin Brosnan is out

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Kerry Mike

He is being replaced by

Sorry AZ didn't think you'd you be caught so easliy  ;) Did you get a ticket, any spares ?

The team line up

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football