All-Ireland Senior Football final - Kerry v Dublin 18/09/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 22, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: J70 on September 18, 2011, 05:27:41 PM
Kerry had a great chance to go ahead close to the end when the space opened up about 30m out to the left but the player in question (didn't see who it was) didn't take the responsibility and instead handed it off to Cooper who got swallowed up by three Dublin defenders.
It was Killian Young - in fairness I thought he done well, gave it off to one of the best forwards in the last decade but Cooper gave a half dummy and worked it into a poor position and didn't get the shot off
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

gallsman

Brilliant scenes, definitely deserved. Bit worried about chances of getting into Coppers tonight, may have to be there about six hours earlier than usual!

Aaron Boone

clarshack

GalwayBayBoy

O'Sullivan's "tackle" was really awful. Just put out a lazy arm. I know he's a forward and tired but he must have known there was an open goal just behind him. Should have clattered him.

stephenite

boojangles

Delighted for the Dubs. Shows what can be achieved when you have a full panel of lads all working together. They are not the most talented bunch but they gave 100% in their preparation and on the field and they deserve the win. They will be around for a while too.

I feel sorry for Jack and most of the Kerry lads especially the Gooch as captain but very hard to feel any pity for Donaghy who over the last few years has become quite an unlikeable character on the field. Never quit whinging all day and went down like he was shot at the end. No place for that shit in the game.

Was also lovely to see the Dublin players with Paul Caffrey and Dave Billings at the end. As Hardy said Where else would ya see it?

So who for MOTM?
Mc Manamon changed the game.
Cluxton won it for them.
Brennan drove them on when needed but surely made too many mistakes to win the award.

AZOffaly

Fair play to the Dubs, and all the Dubs on here. Great scenes, and well deserved even though I think Kerry sowed the seeds themselves with some kamikaze 'possession' play across the pitch when they were in front and going well. It looked like they were moving through the gears and the game was peetering out, until that miscue in the middle of the field. Fair play to McMenamon, he made a big difference, and he carried the fight when they needed someone to.

Hard luck to Kerry, and my many Kerry friends. Football is cruel, and sometimes you get a hard touch, but you almost always deserve it, and I think Kerry opened the door a crack, and fair play to the Dubs they piled through.

I'm sure the Kingdom will be back, but if Dublin screw their heads on right, this could well be the sort of thing that sparks a bit of a productive age.

stew

Dublin rode their luck, got some very soft frees but they were the fittest team in the country and thats what got them across the finish line, fair play to them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gerry

A CIVIC RECEPTION will be held for Dublin's All-Ireland Senior Football Championship winning team tomorrow evening in the capital's city centre.

The event will be held in the Merrion Square area of the city and will get underway at 7pm.

Road closures and parking restrictions will be  in place from 6am tomorrow morning on Merrion Square South, Merrion Square East, FitzWilliam Street Lower/Upper, and Mount Street Upper with a stage and crowd control area to be constructed.

GardaĆ­ advise that Herbert Street will be available for residents and businesses who work in these areas.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Congratulations to the Dubs on a hard earned victory. I thought they had lost it going into the closing stages as they gave away cheap frees and seemed to lose the head but the goal lifted them and they showed great spirit to see it out from there on in. Delighted the Dubs won ;D ;D

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: JimStynes on September 18, 2011, 05:21:07 PM
Why is Cluxton not getting involved in the celebrations?

That was a great shot of Paul Caffery there with the Dublin team.

What was the craic with cluxton - he didn't look interested at all and he walked down the tunnel as soon as the cup was handed over along with the kerry players!

Rocky Mc Guigan

Have to say the referee had a shocker today. Gave a free in for Dublin for Kerry defender touching the ball on the ground when it should have been a penalty. He missed McMenamin's double bounce on the 45m line on front of Dublin goals with 2 mins left. Just what does a player have to do to get lined in an All Ireland Final these days with Ger Brennan doing a mighty fine impersonation of Tadhg Kennelly a couple of years ago. Did the occasion get to McQuillan?

Dubh driocht

Regarding Mc Quillan- spotted the double bounce OK and strange decision on the free rather than peno but overall though he handled it well.
Bryan Sheehan was my MOM
Mc Menaman had dropped a terrible ball into the keeper's hands a few minutes before his goal, but he showed serious balls to go for it. I also thought O'Caroll and the Brogans were good but I fear that Kerry may have indeed a post-86 challenge- but they do have the best player I have ever seen so some hope still.
This time last year was one of despair - doesn't feel much better still and Dubs/Cork will be teams to beat next year- size does seem to matter.

boojangles