2012 London Olympics - Official thread

Started by muppet, August 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Im confused Bill is a protestant himself so is he being bigoted against Catholics or against Protestants? You feckn Christians are all mad in the head imo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on July 30, 2012, 05:57:13 PM
Now you were a hair's breadth from whataboutery with Billo's comments EG.  I wasn't aware of them until now but I find those sort of comments from a presenter of his experience incredible.  Had he said "When I was growing up badminton was a girls' sport and only boys who were useless at GAA, soccer and rugby played it, with the exception of stew from the GAA board"  then I would have had to agree. ;)  Minority sport definitely, Protestant sport?  I'd never have thought of it like that
No, not at all [bold]. As I've explained before, "Whataboutery" is when someone tries to excuse his own wrongdoing by referring to someone else's greater wrongdoing. ("You can't have a go at me for stealing a fiver, when him over there stole a tenner")

And re Watson, I don't think there is anything wrong with a BBC NI commentator referring to two swimmers as coming from NI, when that is factually correct.

As for Magee, BBC NI might have been entitled not to mention her at all (different jurisdiction, licence fee and all that), but since many viewers in the border areas at least may be interested, it is hardly a problem for him to include this "Ulster girl".

In short, you thought Watson's comments exceptional, whereas I don't.

I do consider BO'H's comments on the same athlete to have been exceptional, albeit hardly important, since he's an oul boy who's set in his ways and probably had had a long day. I wouldn't hang him for it.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: trileacman on July 30, 2012, 06:03:54 PMThe same as Lawnseed you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Making an unnecessary comment during commentary isn't a shooting offence, otherwise the bodies would be piling up outside BBC and RTE studio's. Typical whataboutery, Brit makes a comment lets get annoyed, Bill makes a comment lets get annoyed.
As I've tried to explain, this wasn't a case of my somehow trying to "even up the score" between the Brits (BBC NI) and the Irish (RTE).

In refuting AQMP's assertion that Watson's comments on Magee were somehow exceptional, I brought into the debate a  comment on Magee by another commentator, which i think worthy of greater comment.

However, I was NOT so outraged as eg Lawnseed was by Daley Thompson's gaffe, nor am I calling for BO'H to be hung, drawn and quartered etc.

Rather I merely thought BO'H's comment to be interesting in the context of the thread. Consequently I won't lose any more sleep over it than Ms. Magee herself.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

I was only joking. I played a bit of not-very-good-minton myself (and not only because I wasn't much of a footballer, AQMP). It didn't appear to be confined to any particular demographic in that time and place (late seventies, Louth). But Bill is probably reporting his Cork experience accurately, because down here in my village, the only badminton I know of is organised by a group of Church Of Ireland ladies, in the Church Of Ireland hall, though it's participated in by all sorts of heathens. Okey doke.

AQMP

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 30, 2012, 06:23:58 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 30, 2012, 05:52:09 PM

Yeah sure if he'd have said 70 years ago GAA was mostly a Taig sport I'd have went "meh". A non-story this. Didn't really need to say it but it's the truth, 70 years ago Badminton was a Prod sport. Next he'll tell us 70 years ago the taewkando was mostly a Jap sport, I suppose that will be racist too or something.

For one thing, Taekwondo is a Korean sport. And for another, it is not generally seen as acceptable to use the term "Jap" instead of "Japanese".

P.S. I agree this is a bit of a non-story, too. But I only brought it up in the context of remarks by another TV commentator (Watson), to which AQMP had taken exception.

I'm close to taking exception at your suggestion that I took exception ;)

Tonight's reports...

Stephen Watson:  Northern Ireland, Ulster and Co Antrim, yes, one of us, Olympian, Hannah Craig makes the semi final of the K1 Slalom
Bill O'Herlihy:  Ireland's Hannah Craig, who I'm sure you'll agree sounds like she is a Protestant, makes the semi final of the K1 Slalom.  When it's confirmed what school she went to, we'll bring you that news.

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on July 30, 2012, 06:50:59 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 30, 2012, 06:23:58 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 30, 2012, 05:52:09 PM

Yeah sure if he'd have said 70 years ago GAA was mostly a Taig sport I'd have went "meh". A non-story this. Didn't really need to say it but it's the truth, 70 years ago Badminton was a Prod sport. Next he'll tell us 70 years ago the taewkando was mostly a Jap sport, I suppose that will be racist too or something.

For one thing, Taekwondo is a Korean sport. And for another, it is not generally seen as acceptable to use the term "Jap" instead of "Japanese".

P.S. I agree this is a bit of a non-story, too. But I only brought it up in the context of remarks by another TV commentator (Watson), to which AQMP had taken exception.

I'm close to taking exception at your suggestion that I took exception ;)

Tonight's reports...

Stephen Watson:  Northern Ireland, Ulster and Co Antrim, yes, one of us, Olympian, Hannah Craig makes the semi final of the K1 Slalom
Bill O'Herlihy:  Ireland's Hannah Craig, who I'm sure you'll agree sounds like she is a Protestant, makes the semi final of the K1 Slalom.  When it's confirmed what school she went to, we'll bring you that news.

Hannah Craig is a Lundy and a Turncoat, and a disgrace to the name "Craig" in agreeing to compete for "Ireland".

Unless she wins a medal, in which case she'll still be our (red, white and) blue-eyed girl, despite being forced against her will to turn out for themmuns down South... ;)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2012, 05:05:13 PM
Billo said that when he was growing up (approx 70 years ago I'd say) Badminton was mostly a protestant sport. I don't know the context or why he would say that, but I don't think it's an outrageous thing to say on face value. A lot of sports were mainly protestant sports when Bill was a wee lad, Cricket, Tennis, etc etc.

Not sure why he bothered saying it, as I didn't see the context, but it was obviously daft if he said isn't it great to see the Taigs winning at Badminton, it was mostly them Prods that played it.

He was factually incorrect as well. Badminton was mostly a Presbyterian sport
Careful now

haranguerer

Its brilliant watching lineker and thorpe - lineker keeps trying to have the craic and be a smartarse, and thorpe clearly just thinks hes a p***k  ;D

screenexile

My dog Minton ate two of my expensive shuttlecocks yesterday . . . BAD Minton!!!!!

laoislad

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2012, 08:12:05 PM
Its brilliant watching lineker and thorpe - lineker keeps trying to have the craic and be a smartarse, and thorpe clearly just thinks hes a p***k  ;D

Is Thorpe Gay?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AQMP

Quote from: laoislad on July 30, 2012, 08:24:21 PM

Is Thorpe Gay?

Seems like a nice boy, right enough.

Gold in the swimming for GB Lithuania

haranguerer

Is Thorpe Gay?

Aye, whether he knows it or not. Hes an absolute legend (though.....:P)

laoislad

Quote from: AQMP on July 30, 2012, 08:30:07 PM

Is Thorpe Gay?

Seems like a nice boy, right enough.

Gold in the swimming for GB Lithuania

I thought those were Carlow flags in the crowd..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.