2012 London Olympics - Official thread

Started by muppet, August 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanchez

Anyone any links to the BBC montages mentioned?

Did RTE do anything similar for the Irish athletes?

Bingo

Quote from: Square Ball on August 13, 2012, 11:24:39 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2012, 10:37:41 AM
The Olympics was brillant, enjoyed it throughout. Great coverage from the BBC, missed nothing and they mixed it up brillantly with coverage, interviews, debate, informed commentators, etc etc. Their montages yesterday evening with Eddie Butler were top class.

Ireland have to be happy with their games, medals and some other close calls. This typical old shite and arguing over a homecoming is what we do best though. Put the athletes in a closed room and ask them if they want one.

The closing gig was surreal at times. Some brillant moments - Lennon, Freddie, Elbow, The Who, Eric, Muse and then the bizarre George Michael, One Direction, Spice Girls, Jessica J trying to spoil the Queen moment, the fashion thing. But the biggest balls up of the whole thing was Russell bloody Brand trying to do the Beatles. Whoever thought of that must have evaded the drug testing.

Eric Idle was class, laughed out loud when I realised it was him, any one have any ideas as to why oh why Russell Brant was used?

I can only guess that he tied up whoever was suppose to do it and took their place.

It was said that all performers where paid £1 to appear in the opening and closing ceremonies to tie in with the volunteers and games makers. Obviously they'd all be expecting some kick back from it in terms of increased sales, free publicity and the likes.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2012, 12:15:09 PM
Did she pass the gender test though? Shane Byrne will be gutted.

I'd say he'll be relieved, fewer people are going to think he looks like a woman now

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on August 13, 2012, 12:49:36 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2012, 12:15:09 PM
Did she pass the gender test though? Shane Byrne will be gutted.

I'd say he'll be relieved, fewer people are going to think he looks like a woman now

But his celebrity lookalike business is washed out before it got off the ground, he had a booking to open a new Centra in Leitrim next week and they pulled it as soon as the story broke. He'd even arranged to borrow Katies medal for it.

Hound

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2012, 10:37:41 AM
Ireland have to be happy with their games, medals and some other close calls. This typical old shite and arguing over a homecoming is what we do best though. Put the athletes in a closed room and ask them if they want one.

This is what they did as far as I know, and the athletes decided they didnt want any big hullabaloo, open top bus, etc., but where appropriate there would be smaller dos in their home towns (e.g. something for Katie in Bray and something for John Joe in Mullingar).

When I heard that I thought it made complete sense.

However, apparently "the public" are very upset at this, so the athletes are being asked to come into Dublin on Wednesday for a big reception.

Gas that John Joe Nevin (according to the Times today) has asked that all the pubs in Mullingar town be closed this evening, because his extended family are barred and he doesnt want the pubs profiting from his success!

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ludermor

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
His agent was sharper than somebody else's agent.
His agent wasnt a patch on George Michaels agent, i was enjoying the night till that **** appeared on stage.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ludermor on August 13, 2012, 01:34:26 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
His agent was sharper than somebody else's agent.
His agent wasnt a patch on George Michaels agent, i was enjoying the night till that **** appeared on stage.

Was listening on BBC Radio 5Live looking for updates on the golf on my way home from a meeting and the commentators were giving out yards about George Michael singing a new song. "Sing one we know" sort of vibe and you'd have to agree with them. The night wasn'tr about George Michael.

AZOffaly

Was the BBC's 'red button' coverage of the Olympics the single greatest piece of sporting TV coverage ever? I thought it was absolutely brilliant. To be able to sit down, click the red button and watch everything that was on, from Archery to Wrestling was class. And there was no commentary on half of them either, which didn't take away one bit from the enjoyment.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2012, 01:46:43 PM
Was the BBC's 'red button' coverage of the Olympics the single greatest piece of sporting TV coverage ever? I thought it was absolutely brilliant. To be able to sit down, click the red button and watch everything that was on, from Archery to Wrestling was class. And there was no commentary on half of them either, which didn't take away one bit from the enjoyment.
Yes. When they said comprehensive coverage they meant it. They are also keeping EVERY session from every event online at BBC Sport until 2013! I must say the editing of all their output, including the montages last night, has been unreal.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 13, 2012, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2012, 01:46:43 PM
Yes. When they said comprehensive coverage they meant it. They are also keeping EVERY session from every event online at BBC Sport until 2013! I must say the editing of all their output, including the montages last night, has been unreal.

I agree, it was fantastic.

deiseach

The BBC's coverage did tend a wee bit towards jingoism. It was frustrating during the men's 4x400m watching them cut back to see if Britain could close a huge gap to finish third when the US and the Bahamas were going at it hammer-and-tongs at the front. I'm sure even GB athletics fans could see where the real excitement was. Still, they're entitled to their own coverage, and Clare Balding's interview of Bert Le Clos would have been worth the licence fee on its own!