Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare set-up

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 19, 2011, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

Quote from: David McKeown on August 19, 2011, 06:37:46 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on August 19, 2011, 01:09:39 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 19, 2011, 01:00:32 PM
How long before he is linked to the role of super coach at Armagh as described by the Irish News last week.

Sometime last week probably.

I meant on here but i notice now someone already had

Was only being awkward mate.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 19, 2011, 03:02:05 PM
I wouldn't be too sure about that, Rainbow has very little coaching experience and would be too close to the panel for my liking. I'd like a Kildare man involved but not sure if we have anyone to make a difference..
FFS

T O M M Y       C A R E W

By a country mile, getting on a bit now but IMO an exp he was an most likely still is the best coach in flourbagland!!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 21, 2011, 06:15:24 PM
I wouldn't be too sure about that, Rainbow has very little coaching experience and would be too close to the panel for my liking. I'd like a Kildare man involved but not sure if we have anyone to make a difference..
FFS

By a country , getting on a bit now but IMO an exp he was an most likely still is the best coach in flourbagland!!!

Good shout but I doubt Tommy would want the hassle at his age.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ck

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 21, 2011, 08:00:44 PM
FFS

By a country , getting on a bit now but IMO an exp he was an most likely still is the best coach in flourbagland!!!

If you boys think Kieran McGeeney will accept the county board appointing a coach for him then you don't know McGeeney. Only the likes of Paddy O'Rourke would sit back and accept that!
McGeeney will go and hand pick his own men, like any decent manager would!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ck on August 22, 2011, 07:14:16 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 21, 2011, 08:00:44 PM
FFS

If you boys think Kieran McGeeney will accept the county board appointing a coach for him then you don't know McGeeney. Only the likes of Paddy O'Rourke would sit back and accept that!
McGeeney will go and hand pick his own men, like any decent manager would!

Where are you getting that from the above posts?

irunthev

Just wondering if Paddy Tally would  come into the equation now that he is free of Down committments. I know he divides opinion in terms of his effectiveness. Any thoughts?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2011, 09:00:45 PM
What about Davy Dalton?

Poor old Davy somehow ended up on the wrong side of Kilcock one night and hasn't been seen nor heard of since.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2011, 09:00:45 PM
What about Davy Dalton?
Great player
In the Liam harnan stable as a coach/manager ( ie ... Not good)

Donnellys Hollow

Meanwhile.....

Kieran McGeeney commits to two more years

Published on Tuesday 23 August 2011 12:24

ARMAGH man Kieran McGeeney has committed to stay on as Kildare senior football manager for a further two years, the Leinster Leader can reveal.

The former All Ireland winner has been in charge of the Lilies for the last four seasons and he has led them to three All Ireland quarter finals and one semi final in 2010 where they were beaten by Down.

Since taking the reigns McGeeney's team has never been beaten in the All Ireland qualifier series but the main prize still eludes him and his team. In 2011 Kildare took the O'Byrne Cup but Dublin ended their hopes of a provincial title, while Donegal, after extra time, dumped Kildare out of the All Ireland Championship.

The Mullaghbawn native will have to go in search of a new selector before the start of next season after Aidan O'Rourke resigned his position last week but first he will travel to Australia as part of Anthony Tohill's International Rules management team.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/kieran_mcgeeney_commits_to_two_more_years_1_2988911

Dinny Breen

Happy enough with that, choice of selector will be interesting.

The 2 year plan must be promotion and Leinster year 1 and All-Ireland glory year 2  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 23, 2011, 02:02:06 PM

The 2 year plan must be promotion and Leinster year 1 and All-Ireland glory year 2  ;)

If he wasn't able to do it in the 1st 4 year plan what makes you think he'll do it in his next 2 year plan without his main general at his side?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 23, 2011, 02:12:54 PM

If he wasn't able to do it in the 1st 4 year plan what makes you think he'll do it in his next 2 year plan without his main general at his side?

We all have our dreams BC1, I won't have you and your logical questions take that away.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Getting Earley, Kelly, Lynch and Conway back fit is essential for any plan to succeed. We simply didn't have the depth to absorb such injuries this year and that cost us against Donegal in extra time - having to bring Johnny and Flanno back on.

From 1 to 9 I think we are as strong as there is around at the moment and the fact that the likes of Kerry, Tyrone and Cork have many of their key players coming towards the ends of their careers would give you hope that we can remain competitive. I would hope that this year might be seen as a turning point for Kildare. We were forced to blood new players because of all the injuries and as a result we should have more options next year. Both Shane Connolly and Mick Foley look like they have solved what have been problem positions and Ollie Lyons is possibly the man marker we have been looking for. Peter Kelly's return will add further to our defensive options.

Our midfield reserves were tested to their limits this season but hopefully Dermot's return and Daryl Flynn's return to fitness will allow Johnny to move back to the forwards. Lynch should also be back at some stage during the league and Chalky might emerge as a potential long-term partner for Flynn with Kelly's return to the backs.

The reason we can't break through the glass ceiling is the shortcomings in our forward line. The problem as I see it is that we have too many players of a similar level. We have about nine or ten good forwards but none of them (bar Johnny) are consistently excellent. The likes of Kavanagh and Smith in particular have a tendency to flatter to deceive.

How can we improve our forward play? Well moving Johnny back to the corner will be a start. Getting and keeping Mikey Conway fit would also be a huge bonus. He would bring a creative ability to the half-forward line that players like Paudie and Roli simply don't possess. Give Smith and Kavanagh a run at it through the O'Byrne Cup and the League and hope that it helps build their confidence (neither was helped by their truncated campaigns this year). I'm still undecided on whether O'Connor is the way to go at full-forward. He brings a lot of positive aspects but I still think he might be better used as an impact sub. However, he might benefit from a full league campaign, something he hasn't had since Crofton's last year in charge. I think Fogarty might be a better long-term option at 14. Dowling might also be more of an option next year after a winter in the gym. I'm not sure there's anyone outside the panel who would be better than what is already there. I'd have my reservations about Mulhall and Moolick looks like more of a future centre-back or midfielder.

McGeeney won't leave any stone unturned in the pursuit of success and I doubt there are that many panels out there that are as dedicated and committed as this bunch of Kildare players. I have my doubts whether that will be enough to finally make the ultimate breakthrough but we'll enjoy the journey wherever it takes us. A bit of good luck along the way wouldn't go amiss given our recent history.

Dinny Breen

Great post DH, you seem to articulate what many in Kildare think, it's been a great journey and long may it continue...

i will add we have our own little ginger lad out in Oz who might make all the difference..
#newbridgeornowhere