Tipperary vs Kilkenny - 2011 All Ireland Hurling Final

Started by TippTony, August 18, 2011, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TippTony

Good game to watch, exciting finish.

The game was won by the Kilkenny backs, particularly Tyrell and Walsh who were outstanding throughout and cleaned up just about every ball that came in their way.

Tipp looked at half pace in the first half, similar to the semi final game against Dublin, and only played to their full ability in patches in the second. It was enough to keep them in it, but was never going to be enough to win a final.

Well done to Kilkenny, fully deserved. Mind that Cup for us, we'll be looking for it back again next year ;)

Minder

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 04, 2011, 04:59:40 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 04, 2011, 04:53:35 PM
How are Tipp still in this?! Dodgy keeping from Herity.
Yeah how? I'd say Kilkenny will pull away in the end.

It was straight at him, soft alright.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bord na Mona man

Michael Fennelly's first half goal was probably the key moment for Kilkenny. Had they gone in at half time only leading by 2 after dominating, the door would have been wide open for Tipp.

Minder

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 03, 2011, 01:58:37 PM
Kilkenny are trying to play Colin Fennelly on one leg. They are badly stuck at that rate. Where is all this great underage talent that they supposedly have?

Both of them look grand.

Minder

Kilkenny enforced their will on that game from the first minute, it is some measure of fellas like Delaney, Hickey and Tyrell and the performances they put in after being written off in some quarters after last years final. Kilkenny should have won by more but started messing about and overplaying the ball midway through the second half and Brian Gavin giving nearly every 50/50 call to Tipp, i thought he was very poor.

I would think that was the sweetest one for Cody, there would have been no way he would entertain the idea of defeat and would have been planning for this day since the 1st January. Michael Fennelly is turning into an absolute behemoth for Kilkenny, he put in a tackle today (fairly) that looked like something out of the WWE. Probably won't get as much credit as some but Eoin Larkin put in an unreal effort today, he never stopped moving, tackling and chasing back. Brennan still has a bit of gas in the legs yet judging by that run to set up Hogans goal.

Tommy Walsh had an absolute masterclass today and Kilkennys victory started with their backs.

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on September 04, 2011, 04:45:01 PM
Absolutely class goal.

Always liked Richie Hogan since he was a minor (at 16 I think?)

That's more like it, Muppet. You've been very grumpy for a while.

the Deel Rover

Fair play to Kilkenny great performance by them today . Thought jj delaney had a stormer today cleared everthing that came his way. hogans goal would have been worth the admission fee alone pure class.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

saffronandblue

Thought Tommy Walsh was super today...........and that ref needed checking, he tried his best to keep Tipp in the game by giving them soft frees.  Would love to see him mark the Gooch.  The game would have been over at half time had the ref not given Tipp some very soft frees in scoring positions.  Not sure who the Kilkenny lad was, who was swung around the neck with a few minutes to go and no free given, unreal.

Well done Kilkenny, worthy champions and great to see King Henry back in full flight.

gallsman

Phenomenal performance from KK (plenty of messing that can be ironed out too, so they've a while left yet!) - the intensity was absolutely ferocious at times. Completely and utterly wiped out all the big Tipp names. Should have won by more than four really.

Walsh, Murphy, Tyrrell, Delaney (set the tone with the shoulder on Lar) and both Fennellys were outstanding. I was at the Canal End 45 in the lower Cusack, so couldn't see the incident with Walsh and can't comment - have obviously seen on here and got a few texts about striking. Incredible hurler though.

Thought the ref was poor in general and gave a lot of soft frees to both teams. One down near me Jackie Tyrell was in disbelief at one being given against him after he won the ball and held off a charge.

Anyone know why Tipp took off John O'Brien? Was one of the few Tipp forwards doing anything.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2011, 06:42:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 04, 2011, 04:45:01 PM
Absolutely class goal.

Always liked Richie Hogan since he was a minor (at 16 I think?)

That's more like it, Muppet. You've been very grumpy for a while.

I've been in great form thank you.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

Phenomenal peformance for the Cats. Some pace and intensity for 70 mins - I thought JJ was MOTM myself but they could give to any of them. Second goal was a thing of beauty. Fai play to them - greatest team in the history of the game I reckon.
Met a great crowd of lads today flying the GAA flag in Luxembourg - great day all round( except for minor result)

Rossfan

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 04, 2011, 07:11:51 PM
...........and that ref needed checking, he tried his best to keep Tipp in the game by giving them soft frees.  Would love to see him mark the Gooch.  The game would have been over at half time had the ref not given Tipp some very soft frees in scoring positions.  Not sure who the Kilkenny lad was, who was swung around the neck with a few minutes to go and no free given, unreal.

I thought the same.
Those bloody hurlin refs get away with murder ... one sided decision making , men half killed and no frees ...  if a football ref makes one mistake in a game the Sunday game gob pundits go to town on him. Yet all the hurly burly crowd want is the Ref to "let it flow" and then he's grand. ::)
Kilkenny should have been much firther ahead at the end they were so dominant. Shows they're slipping. In 07 or 08 they'd have won that one by 8 or 10 points.
Anyway here's hoping for 2 new teams to make the Hurling Final next year as it's all getting a bit stale for us neutrals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2011, 09:14:13 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on September 04, 2011, 07:11:51 PM
...........and that ref needed checking, he tried his best to keep Tipp in the game by giving them soft frees.  Would love to see him mark the Gooch.  The game would have been over at half time had the ref not given Tipp some very soft frees in scoring positions.  Not sure who the Kilkenny lad was, who was swung around the neck with a few minutes to go and no free given, unreal.

I thought the same.
Those bloody hurlin refs get away with murder ... one sided decision making , men half killed and no frees ...  if a football ref makes one mistake in a game the Sunday game gob pundits go to town on him. Yet all the hurly burly crowd want is the Ref to "let it flow" and then he's grand. ::)
Kilkenny should have been much firther ahead at the end they were so dominant. Shows they're slipping. In 07 or 08 they'd have won that one by 8 or 10 points.
Anyway here's hoping for 2 new teams to make the Hurling Final next year as it's all getting a bit stale for us neutrals.

I hope that was said in jest. The two of them have provided three of the most exciting finals in memory over the last three years.

Minder

Would people prefer to see two different teams playing at a lower standard? Kilkenny in particular have some of the finest players to ever lift a hurl. Make the most of it while it's here and applaud excellence.

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2011, 09:38:10 PM
Would people prefer to see two different teams playing at a lower standard? Kilkenny in particular have some of the finest players to ever lift a hurl. Make the most of it while it's here and applaud excellence.

+1