MBNA leaves Leitrim.

Started by Capt Pat, August 15, 2011, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

1000 jobs gone down the drain.

ExcellentDriver

That's 1,000 more Fecking off to another Country.

Bloody Anglo-Irish swindlers!
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

laoislad

Does this mean they will stop ringing me.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on August 15, 2011, 07:24:57 PM
That's 1,000 more Fecking off to another Country.

Bloody Anglo-Irish swindlers!

While I agree with the sentiments I don't think Anlgo-Irish had anything to do with this. MBNA are pulling out of the UK as well. Probably just a result of the genral economic downturn of the past few years worldwide.

Tony Baloney

seafoid

That is awful news for Leitrim and the neighbouring counties.
It's not like FF left behind a strong economy that can absorb 1000 job losses. 

orangeman

If anything happens to the Quinn group of companies after this news, it will be diasrer upon disaster.

Leitrim just wouldn't be able to handle all of these job cuts. I sincerely hope that they will sell the business as opposed to closing it down, but is it profitable ?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Devasting news for County Leitrim, that represents 1 in 26 of every man, woman and child of all ages in the county.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

My cousin & a few friends were employed for years there, sad day for all concerned.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on August 15, 2011, 10:01:08 PM
My cousin & a few friends were employed for years there, sad day for all concerned.

I forgot Carrick-on-Shannon is actually one of those twin towns. Whats the part thats in Roscommon called where the train station is? Devestating for North Roscommon and maybe parts of Longford, Sligo, Fermanagh & Cavan too.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

spuds

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2011, 10:09:34 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 15, 2011, 10:01:08 PM

I forgot Carrick-on-Shannon is actually one of those twin towns. Whats the part thats in Roscommon called where the train station is? Devestating for North Roscommon and maybe parts of Longford, Sligo, Fermanagh & Cavan too.

Cortubber. Would be a lot of Roscommon and Longford people working there as well I'd imagine. Hopefully they will be able to sell on as a going concern with some jobs saved.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mylestheslasher

Shocking news, another kick in the balls to the border counties. I was reading the Anglo celt last week and it reported that in the previous 30 years the ida had created the grand total of 30 jobs in Cavan. I doubt they will replace these ones in leitrim too quickly either.

Orangemac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 15, 2011, 10:26:44 PM
Shocking news, another kick in the balls to the border counties. I was reading the Anglo celt last week and it reported that in the previous 30 years the ida had created the grand total of 30 jobs in Cavan. I doubt they will replace these ones in leitrim too quickly either.
How much have the IDA spent on junkets and bonuses in that time I wonder?

Supposedly MBNA have quit their credit card operations in other countries over the last few years, have they sold on the business to someone else or has the business just closed? Does anyone know?

gerry

Terrible news for the people involved, although when they sold their Canadian business they were able to get a buyer sorted. That's the worst thing about these companies they leave at the drop of a hat.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

Terrible news for the people involved, although when they sold their Canadian business they were able to get a buyer sorted. That's the worst thing about these companies they leave at the drop of a hat.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,