On the grassy, grassy banks of Pairc Tailteann............

Started by thejuice, August 11, 2011, 06:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Our beautifully manicured lawns at either end of Pairc Tailteann have been deemed no longer safe for the public to watch games on.

After being perfectly fine since the early days of the GAA, hosting crowds of upwards of 25,000 only 5 years ago.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=153167

And we're told the capacity is capped at 10,000 till we cover them in concrete. The County board said today they simply do not have the money as many clubs are barely getting by.

With this in mind I think it's an opportune moment to do something I think we should have done a long time ago.

Put a nice flower bed in.

We could maybe spell the scoreboard out in some nice Salvias or Primulas. Might slow the game down a bit as it takes a while for them to establish and a fair bit of watering too. Perhaps best not to grow them  from seed then.

Failing that, maybe a few drills of spuds. I'd say its fairly free draining.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

I presume the grren grassy slopes of Drogheda will go the same way. That will leave a capacity of about 700 there so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

neilthemac

the four worst words in Ireland

Health and f**king Safety

Stevie g 8

Canalman

A pity. Always cherish the Summer games there sitting on the grass......... almost picnic like. Reminded me of those old cricket grounds you used to see in Oz/NZ/South Africa.

Rouge_Diablo

Cant they just make that area "all ticket" and print a waiver on the ticket?

Royalranter

Where did they cpme up with a figure of 10,000 people? If it was holding 25,000 when supporters were allowed on the banks and 10,000 without them being used, who's decided that those two little banks hold 15,000 people and the rest of it 10,000????
Let em know your there

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

TacadoirArdMhacha

Must have been 30,000 plus in Navan in 2002. Surely it wouldn't cost that much to get stony slopes put in similar to what they have in Crossmaglen. To be fair to the authorities, I can only imagine that if there was heavy rain, those slopes would become dangerous enough.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thejuice

QuoteThe Meath county board are coming under pressure to carry out immediate improvement work to the stand at Pairc Tailteann after it was labelled as a potential fire hazard in the Slattery Report, which will be published on December 9.

The report, which was commissioned by the GAA's National Infrastructure Safety Committee chairman Seamus McCloy, found that an untreated plywood ceiling and radiant gas heaters in a dressing-room under the 60-year old stand was a potential fire hazard.

The report warns that if a fire broke out, the whole stand could collapse.

It's the latest blow to the Navan venue, which recently had its capacity halved from 20,000 to 10,000 for health and safety reasons. Not until concrete terracing is put in place at either end of the ground will its capacity be increased.

"The county board has done up a response regarding various aspects of the report," Meath secretary Cyril Creavin told the Irish Daily Star.

"Regarding structure, we have a report done up from a structural engineer on the stand that says the steel there is adequate and also capable of taking the new roof, which is long-term."

We took a wrong turn somewhere in shit creek and now we are in the part of shit creek most people wouldn't even dare go into.

- Capacity down by 15,000 so that's a lot less capacity/gate receipts.

- We may not have a sponsor next year as Comer Group are getting itchy feet after only 1 year.

- We have a "centre of excellence" that doesn't even have proper changing facilities only 2nd hand prefabs.[/li][/list]

And that's not even mentioning the state of things on the field.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Might end up in a shared stadium with Kildare somewhere between Dunboyne and Leixlip.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: thejuice on November 25, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
Might end up in a shared stadium with Kildare somewhere between Dunboyne and Leixlip.

Coming around to my way of thinking Juice?!

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=433.30

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 28, 2011, 07:57:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2011, 05:48:55 PM
Don't even think about crossing the border to use our superior stadium.

A groundshare in Kilcock is the only sensible solution. Visiting supporters from other Leinster counties could also be accomodated using Cooney's ingenious new anti-pitch invasion plan:

Leinster Council - make it happen!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Our county board would put the combined leadership of BOI, AIB and Anglo in the shade for spectacular incompetence.

Declan

QuoteWe have a "centre of excellence" that doesn't even have proper changing facilities only 2nd hand prefabs.

And they tried to charge us into a an U17 quarter final one evening there last week. Unreal - You can guess what he was told