All-Ireland Junior Football final - Kildare v Cork 20/08/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 07, 2011, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

We don't get to many at any level so expect a good crowd from Kildare at this.

This is Kildare's Senior development squad, what's the story with Cork, development or pure Junior like the Dubs?
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Kildare progress to All-Ireland Junior football final

After a slow start in the first half of this All-Ireland Junior Football semi-final Kildare regrouped and booked a place in the final against Cork. Cork defeated Sligo in their semi final on a scoreline of 0-14 to 1-06.

Lancashire had a dream start with a goal and a point in the first 4 minutes of the game. O'Neill opened the scoring with a point in the first minute. This was followed 3 minutes later when Liam Coyne finished to the net after a long ball into the square.

Kildare responded with 2 points from Darroch Mulhall, the Athy man would finish the game with 5 points.Lancharshire added another point to their tally before Kildare added four points from play.Mulhall got the first of these scores and then points followed from Ciaran Kelly, Paddy Dunne and Tommy Moolick. Moolicks point was one of the scores of the game.

Lancharshire finished the first half scoring with a point from a free, this left the half time score 1-03 to 0-06.

The second half started with the teams adding points through Mulhall and Coyne. Kildare's dominated the next 10 minutes of the game and took a 3 point led after points from Carew, Mulhall and Moolick.

Mick Molloy got on the score sheet for the English champions but Kildare hit four unanswered points.Kelly added a fine point and this was followed by a point from Ballymore's Tommie Archbold. Carew added another free to his tally and Clane's Conor Murphy added a point.

The exiles showed their battling skills and this was repaided when they won a penalty in the final minutes of the game. Mick Molly converted. From the kickout of Kildare gathered possession and Castlemitchell's Emmet Hyland kicked the final score of the day. The final score on the night was Kildare 0-16, Lancashire 2-o6
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

I think Cork's team would be very much a junior team. One or two have featured with the seniors but most never have or ever will. I know a few of the Cork players and was at the semi final, they are decent but not great, if Kildare's squad are potential seniors then I would expect Kildare to win.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2011, 06:08:18 PM
I think Cork's team would be very much a junior team. One or two have featured with the seniors but most never have or ever will. I know a few of the Cork players and was at the semi final, they are decent but not great, if Kildare's squad are potential seniors then I would expect Kildare to win.

Thanks Zulu interesting, I wouldn't expect many too many to feature for Kildare in the the near future, as the Junior championship has progressed the squad has weakened as a couple of the good 'uns were called up to the seniors and indeed made senior championship appearances.

Would expect Cork to continue their recent dominance at this level but good experience for the Kildare lads.
#newbridgeornowhere

David McKeown

Whats the rules in relation to eligibility for this competition?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Zulu

Vary from county to county, for some you must be playing jumior club football but for others it's a second tier senior team. When Waterford won it a few years back many of the players would have made the county senior team.

Cork would still be decent Dinny so if Kildare are weakened that might tilt the AI towards Cork. I'd say most of their players are decent Sigerson players so if Kildare are better than that then they should win, if not.......

INDIANA

Quote from: David McKeown on August 07, 2011, 06:58:05 PM

Dublin, Cork and Kerry are not allowed play any player who played senior club championship the previous year.

I saw Cork yesterday. I also saw Kildare hockey our lads. I know Kildare have lost players but I'd still make them marginal favourites.

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare definitely aren't as strong as they were at the start of the year. Ollie Lyons, Mikey Conway and Seán Hurley are all now ineligible while big Willie Heff and Mark O'Sullivan both did their cruciates.

Of the team that played yesterday both Tomás Moolick and Darroch Mulhall will definitely play championship football for Kildare in the near future. Mulhall could be one of the missing links for McGeeney if he can cut it at senior level. The fact that he's naturally left-footed is another bonus. Apart from Bolton and Conway I can't think of any other citógs on the Kildare panel. Ciarán Kelly and Ciarán Fitzpatrick will probably get a run in the league next year to see if they're up to it. Also great to see Tommy Archibald back in a Kildare team. He was one of the most prodigious talents I've ever see play underage for Kildare. It's a pity he is cursed with injuries.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

We won it last year so Cork effectively beat a Sligo 3rd team in that semi final as lads who played in last years final were ineligible.

Rossfan

Will this be put on as a "pre curtain raiser " in Croker with one of the AI Semis or will it be hived off to Nenagh ( like us v Kerry 2000 - we won MWRites  ;))or Ballyragget or such like ?
We got to 4 finals in this grade in the noughties and the combined attendances from the 4 who were there for the Junior ( some were double headers in Portlaoise) probably didnt exceed 5,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

I suspect the semi was brought to Croker to help rebuild a certain managers profile. I'd highly doubt the final will be in HQ.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 08:40:45 PM

Dublin, Cork and Kerry are not allowed play any player who played senior club championship the previous year.

I saw Cork yesterday. I also saw Kildare hockey our lads. I know Kildare have lost players but I'd still make them marginal favourites.

? The Kerry Juniors that won the All Ireland had several players that played with Divisional Sides in the County Championship, so you must mean the pure Club Championship. That's probably right.

Another rule Kerry have, or had, was that if you had won the All Ireland the year before, you couldn't play the next year.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2011, 03:06:48 PM

? The Kerry Juniors that won the All Ireland had several players that played with Divisional Sides in the County Championship, so you must mean the pure Club Championship. That's probably right.

Another rule Kerry have, or had, was that if you had won the All Ireland the year before, you couldn't play the next year.

That's an official rule as I mentioned above.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2011, 03:06:48 PM

Pure senior sides. Dublin, Cork and Kerry would win this every year if they were allowed play. Causes a lot of discontent in Dublin but I can see why its done. Probably circa 800-900 players in Dublin in-elligible because of it.

Denis Bastic, O Gara and Mick Fitzsimons came off the last Dublin team to win at this grade.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?