Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossie mad

Maybe but i would have thought tonga were a better team than the canadians.would you not put the pacific island teams ahead of the likes of the usa and canada

mc_grens

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2011, 11:26:58 AM
Quote from: rossie mad on September 14, 2011, 09:59:28 AM
If georgia had some decent running backs they would be a good side.scotland playing the game they want.spend as much time as possible in the georgia half without actually posing a serious threat.
Canada produced a bit of a shock earlier by beating tonga.good game to watch.tonga seemed to take the canadians for granted.
Going with all the smaller teams in the handicap betting would have been very profitable so far.

Haven't Canada beaten Tonga every time they've played them in WC?

I think you could be right- either way it was a good competitive game.

thejuice

Trimble should be ahead of Earls surely?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

If Australia are as physical as they seem, then I think Trimble would be better out there alright. Earls is having a bit of a slump at the moment, and that happens to players. He'll be grand, but if he's not a huge attacking threat with ball in hand, then he shouldn't be there, because defensively he's not strong.

Celt_Man

Ahh shite... http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/0914/flanneryj_varleyd_cronins.html

Flannery out of World Cup

Jerry Flannery's Rugby World Cup is over Jerry Flannery has been ruled out of the remainder of the Rugby World Cup because of a calf injury, with Damien Varley called up to the squad.

Flannery broke down in training ahead of the match with Australia on Saturday in Eden Park and a scan has revealed he will face at least six weeks on the sidelines.

Sean Cronin has been promoted to the Ireland bench in place of Flannery for the crucial clash with Australia.

More to follow.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AZOffaly

I think Flannery's frame can't take the muscle he's piled on it. I'd meet him a fair bit around UL and in town, and I'm always taken aback by his physique. But he's a small enough man, and looks like a ball of muscle. I think his frame is too weak for it. Don't know how scientific that is :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2011, 01:25:53 PM
I think Flannery's frame can't take the muscle he's piled on it. I'd meet him a fair bit around UL and in town, and I'm always taken aback by his physique. But he's a small enough man, and looks like a ball of muscle. I think his frame is too weak for it. Don't know how scientific that is :)

I'd say he wasn't fully right and it was a gamble but his size as you point out wouldn't have aided his recovery at all.

Big loss...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 14, 2011, 01:57:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2011, 01:25:53 PM

I'd say he wasn't fully right and it was a gamble but his size as you point out wouldn't have aided his recovery at all.

Big loss...

He's picking up a lot of injuries as well. And while he is a 'strong' man, I don't think he has a strong frame. Like building a huge house on flimsy foundations.

screenexile

I don't think he's that big a loss to be fair. Best and him are better at different things but overall I would have them level. Both average at darts, flannery better in the loose, Best better in the Scrum the one thing Best would have over Flannery would be his discipline as Flannery is likely to lose the head at a crucial time in a big game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on September 14, 2011, 02:01:31 PM
I don't think he's that big a loss to be fair. Best and him are better at different things but overall I would have them level. Both average at darts, flannery better in the loose, Best better in the Scrum the one thing Best would have over Flannery would be his discipline as Flannery is likely to lose the head at a crucial time in a big game.

That hasn't happened in a long time in fairness. And Flannery has played in a lot of big games.

Dinny Breen

Flannery has much better darts than Best. Helped by the fact he throws to POC and DOC with his province as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2011, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 14, 2011, 02:01:31 PM

That hasn't happened in a long time in fairness. And Flannery has played in a lot of big games.

He hasn't played a full game for Ireland since that fated kick against France . . . I still think he would have been a liability on the big stage.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: thejuice on September 14, 2011, 01:12:49 PM
Trimble should be ahead of Earls surely?
Absolutely. Trimble's been the stand out guy for Ireland recently. Shocker of a decision.

4father

When does the four proud provinces of Ireland play again?

screenexile

Not that I would be happy to see a lad not play but if Pocock can't make it that would give Ireland a huge boost I reckon . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14811966.stm

New Zealand seemed to put Japan away fairly handy this morning and look to be going well but I'd wait until their first big knockout match to see what way they are shaping up.