Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Will the Aussies give the All Blacks a decent game in the morning? Thinking of backing them with the handicap of 7.5...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 15, 2011, 11:29:22 PM
Will the Aussies give the All Blacks a decent game in the morning? Thinking of backing them with the handicap of 7.5...

SF of a World Cup - it's 50/50. Worth a punt no doubt. Look at today. Down to 14 or not, a few nailed kicks and Wales would have won comfortably
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thewobbler

This thread has become beyond uppity. I'll repeat again that if the letter of the law was applied, every contact sport in the world would descend into farce.

I'll keep a wee note of the holier than thous on this thread and see if their opinion matches up when a GAA player from their county gets a red card.

I know from my own stance I'm consistent in sport. I'll forgive exuberance in a tackle but I won't forgive off the ball slaps, and I won't forgive premeditated attacks. Warburton's challenge was dangerous, but it was a man doing his job, and it sits easy with me.

As for the 'oohs in the crowd', do me a favour. Every crunching tackle in every sport is met with oohs.

Even if Warburton had have held him all the way through, it would still have got those oohs. He wiped a man out at full tilt ffs.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 15, 2011, 11:40:51 PM
This thread has become beyond uppity. I'll repeat again that if the letter of the law was applied, every contact sport in the world would descend into farce.

I'll keep a wee note of the holier than thous on this thread and see if their opinion matches up when a GAA player from their county gets a red card.

I know from my own stance I'm consistent in sport. I'll forgive exuberance in a tackle but I won't forgive off the ball slaps, and I won't forgive premeditated attacks. Warburton's challenge was dangerous, but it was a man doing his job, and it sits easy with me.

As for the 'oohs in the crowd', do me a favour. Every crunching tackle in every sport is met with oohs.

Even if Warburton had have held him all the way through, it would still have got those oohs. He wiped a man out at full tilt ffs.
will accept this rule when refs apply it accross the board.
It hasnt been applied during this world cup let alone since Christmas (or before).

I'll give out about refereeing inconsistency in Gaelic games, soccer and rugby where I see it.

Tony Baloney

Lack of consistency in application of the rule is the problem of other refs and not Rolland who was doing his job

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 15, 2011, 11:51:01 PM
Lack of consistency in application of the rule is the problem of other refs and not Rolland who was doing his job
possibly,
but that would depend on if he has encountered this kind of tackle/fould since Christmas (at lest) and what his decision was regarding it.

Capt Pat

If Beale was fit I would back the Aussies for a win.........on here not with money in the bookies. The Aussies could have signifigant advantage  at 9&10. Up front and out wide I think the All Blacks might have the edge in both areas. If Beale was fit The Aussies would be the equal of the All Blacks in the outside backs as well.

Tomorrow I think the Aussies will be looking to catch a few breaks like the French caught today to get the win. All Blacks to win by 6.

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 15, 2011, 11:35:36 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 15, 2011, 11:29:22 PM

SF of a World Cup - it's 50/50. Worth a punt no doubt. Look at today. Down to 14 or not, a few nailed kicks and Wales would have won comfortably

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2011, 11:59:59 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 15, 2011, 11:51:01 PM
possibly,
but that would depend on if he has encountered this kind of tackle/fould since Christmas (at lest) and what his decision was regarding it.

He gave a red card to Fritz from Toulouse for a tackle not as bad in a HEC cup game against Wasps in Jan this year.

Retrospective bans have been issued for bad tackles in this World Cup that is where the IRB are consistent, Fabrice Estebanez  the french center got a 3 week ban.

Rolland was correct, you can have your own opinion but bottom line Warburton was an idiot and cost his team a probable place in the final.  Every player from mini to international knows they have a duty of care to their opponent in the tackle what Warburton did in the framework of the law was wrong and I have seen red cards at every level issued out for reckless and dangerous tackles.

#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Fair enough Dinny on Rolland if he is giving them out consistently ( though do you mean that the hec game you indicate was officiated by Rolland or someone else - I'm unsure here) then that's fine.
You mention earlier that you were watching the game. Via setanta channel. Utv showed a montage of at least four examples from this world cup that had yellow or no cards at all as their resulting decision. Inconsistent - so if there is inconsistency then players like warburton would not be as quick to avoid this. I would like to see it again, but thought momentum from the French player contributed to the elevation as opposed to a straight lift !

Dinny Breen

It was Rolland who issued the red to Fritz for a bad tackle.

This is professional sport, Gatland and Edwards know that the laws provide a framework and are not as black and white as some posters seem to think they are, they would have had complete dossier on what specific referee's do and don't allow. They would have spoken about the ref a lot to their players and I bet your bottom dollar that they mentioned Rolland is not afraid to send off players for bad tackles unlike some referees who leave it the citing commissioner.  If look at the Welsh squad's reaction and Warburton's, they know.

Why do you think the French reaction was so bad, they know what Rolland is like, they would have done their homework and are reffed by Rolland a lot, there was anger but definitely some gamesmanship in there as well.

Bottom line, you have the romantics who blame inconsistency and wanted to see Wales do well and enjoy their game versus the pragmatics who know that it was red card offence even if they knew it was going to ruin the game because a players welfare is far more important than the spectators enjoyment.
#newbridgeornowhere

bcarrier

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 16, 2011, 12:31:49 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 16, 2011, 12:20:23 AM

you can have your own opinion but bottom line Warburton was an idiot and cost his team a probable place in the final. 

At last, nail, hammer, head.

The emperor has no clothes!

Looking at him on the sideline he knew what he had done and the cost to his team.  Only afterwards did Gatland give him the way out to save Hooke and Jones from the spotlight on examining the reasons for losing the game.

The only real excuse for the loss was the injury to Adam Jones at the beginning of the game.

Priestland ?

Aerlik

The aussies are calling this the real final!   Arrogant  fcukwits. Well, the final will be between my second and third fav. nations (France and NZ). 

Hark, is that the gnashing and grinding of teeth amid wails of agony from the neighbours I hear? 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

bennydorano

Aussies are more hateful than Le Ros Beefs, hope the Kiwis do a real job on them.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bennydorano on October 16, 2011, 08:43:29 AM
Aussies are more hateful than Le Ros Beefs, hope the Kiwis do a real job on them.

Would like to see both lose, hope the mad French win it out.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Same here, but I think the Aussies are good value at 5/2.