Grounds Insurance - Club Treasurers please

Started by mylestheslasher, August 03, 2011, 11:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Hi all,

Looking to get some advise on public liability insurance for the football field & clubhouse. Anyone know a spot that gives competitive prices?

Louth Exile

I'm pretty certain that the GAA scheme is mandatory and that you can't go off get a quote in the open market. What facilities does your club have and I can advise you further?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

heffo

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 03, 2011, 01:51:42 PM
I'm pretty certain that the GAA scheme is mandatory and that you can't go off get a quote in the open market. What facilities does your club have and I can advise you further?

Its a community pitch with a GAA and soccer pitch. Club house, meeting room, car park and a small training pitch. Some "homemade" flood lighting on the training pitch. Also a small covered stand beside the pitch.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Louth Exile

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 03, 2011, 01:57:18 PM
Its a community pitch with a GAA and soccer pitch. Club house, meeting room, car park and a small training pitch. Some "homemade" flood lighting on the training pitch. Also a small covered stand beside the pitch.

As mentioned, Willis administer the GAA club insurance scheme. You will have been issued with the property and public liability insurance at the start of the year. Ours is currently just short of €6k this year, as we have community centre and bar. The insurance is graded based on your facilities a) no property b) dressing rooms c) dressing rooms/stand/hall d) club with bar rural e)club with bar urban. Your club falls into either category b or c. As for the "community pitch" I would be very surprised if the whole grounds are not vested in the GAA, as they have to be in order to receive funding for developments. I assume that you did receive the property and public liability renewal from the county board secretary at the start of the year? If you don't like the price there is nothing that you can do, we made several representations to the county board about it last year and only concession we got was more time to pay it.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

5 Sams

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 03, 2011, 03:13:40 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 03, 2011, 01:57:18 PM

Apart from that Louth Exile I think there is an outrageous excess of about 4 grand :o

As mentioned, Willis administer the GAA club insurance scheme. You will have been issued with the property and public liability insurance at the start of the year. Ours is currently just short of €6k this year, as we have community centre and bar. The insurance is graded based on your facilities a) no property b) dressing rooms c) dressing rooms/stand/hall d) club with bar rural e)club with bar urban. Your club falls into either category b or c. As for the "community pitch" I would be very surprised if the whole grounds are not vested in the GAA, as they have to be in order to receive funding for developments. I assume that you did receive the property and public liability renewal from the county board secretary at the start of the year? If you don't like the price there is nothing that you can do, we made several representations to the county board about it last year and only concession we got was more time to pay it.
The Aristocrat Years

mylestheslasher

Looks like I am stuck so. Serious ball of money to find every year. Thanks for the replies.

Louth Exile

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 03, 2011, 03:39:36 PM
Looks like I am stuck so. Serious ball of money to find every year. Thanks for the replies.

No worries, as I say, we tore into it last year, with no success, so I know where you are coming from. If there is anything else on such matters don't be afraid to ask, very well versed on them al!!

The current scheme is an improvement from the arbitrarial method of applying the "hirers insurance" pre 2009. In our instance we do at least know that we are covered for all eventualities. Three areas where this scheme could be improved:
1) Introduce a risk assessment scheme that gives your discounts ie. those clubs who have their premises properly secured, alarmed, trip hazards removed etc, get discount compared to those who leave barb wire about the place (just an example)
2) Rate clubs based on previous claims history. If we have a break in and 10k worth of damage/loss incurred, should we pay the same as the neighbouring club who has similar facilities and never had a claim? The correct answer is No, we should bear a greater cost at the scheme renewal in 2012. Doesn't work like that at present though.
3) Although I'm guessing that a certain club in Cavan has yet to pay their renewal for 2011, they are not on their own! An instalment option would be very handy to clubs, most of whom are struggling to manage a monthly cashflow. Instead, the bill sits there and sits there until you can build up the funds to cover it/the county board satarts naming and shaming.
Just some possible improvements.

You are right about the excess for property claims 5Sams. No fear of any claims going for a few O Neills balls being nicked from the shed!

Stevie g 8

how do clubs afford to pay this kind of money for insurance,then club supplies and managers.no wonder clubs are in trouble

real food, real people

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on August 03, 2011, 04:36:57 PM
how do clubs afford to pay this kind of money for insurance,then club supplies and managers.no wonder clubs are in trouble
Clubs paying Managers? Surely not!

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 03, 2011, 11:23:15 AM
Hi all,

Looking to get some advise on public liability insurance for the football field & clubhouse. Anyone know a spot that gives competitive prices?

Believe its mandatory. In Dublin can cost upwards of 20k per annum. Nightmare expense for most clubs up here.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on August 03, 2011, 04:36:57 PM

That's just the cost of property and public liability insurance, there is also the cost of the player injury scheme as well. It is all needed and the injury scheme is good, most players and supporters have no appreciation of the huge overheads that clubs face every year before a ball is even kicked/pucked!

neilthemac

surely it is against Irish competition rules and EU open market rules to only be allowed deal with one insurance company??