Irish Independent is forced to apologise for it's behaviour !!

Started by orangeman, August 02, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2011, 09:32:37 PM
Eugene loves a good oul moan.
He is the dourest man in western europe.

But he has a point all the same.

Jinxy

No he doesn't.
Masterson made an eejit of himself by launching a highly personal attack on Fahy after the game.
Wexford would rather blame the ref instead of facing up to the reality that they threw the game away themselves.
By all accounts, the last free was a legitimate score.
If Masterson wasn't sanctioned for this it would be open season on all refs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

irunthev

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2011, 10:30:43 PM
No he doesn't.
Masterson made an eejit of himself by launching a highly personal attack on Fahy after the game.
Wexford would rather blame the ref instead of facing up to the reality that they threw the game away themselves.

The point I am agreeing with is that you can't just pluck random punishments from thin air and impose them. if he broke a rule then give him a punishment from the rule book.

ludermor

Central Competitions

Control Committee

I have been informed by Fergal McGill from Croke Park that, while the four CEOs of the provincial councils -- Michael Delaney, John Prenty, Danny Murphy and Pat Fitzgerald -- are listed in official GAA literature as members of the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC), they do not involve themselves in disciplinary matters.

Therefore, they were not party to the decision regarding Wexford goalkeeper Anthony Masterson, about which I wrote yesterday.

GAA staff members McGill, Patrick Doherty and Bernard Smith, who are also listed among the CCCC members, officiate only in a secretarial capacity and do not take part in deliberations.

The remaining five members of the committee are chairman Seamus Woods, Michael Burns, Jim Berry, John Reidy and Tom Kilcoyne.

Eugene McGee

AZOffaly

Quote from: irunthev on August 16, 2011, 05:22:12 AM
No he doesn't.

The point I am agreeing with is that you can't just pluck random punishments from thin air and impose them. if he broke a rule then give him a punishment from the rule book.

I agree with this. I think Masterson was off base, and if he apologised off his own bat I'd say fair play, but the lads up in Croker have to use the rule book if they want to punish him, not make an eejit of the lad.

Imagine if this was a Cork player? Frank Murphy would have a field day.

irunthev

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2011, 09:20:08 AM
No he doesn't.

I agree with this. I think Masterson was off base, and if he apologised off his own bat I'd say fair play, but the lads up in Croker have to use the rule book if they want to punish him, not make an eejit of the lad.

I agree. The Wexford CB were a bit spineless on this one.

Hound

Quote from: irunthev on August 16, 2011, 11:32:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2011, 09:20:08 AM
No he doesn't.

I agree. The Wexford CB were a bit spineless on this one.
The chap made an eejit of himself, and I don't see what the Wexford CB can do.

Imagine if Ben Brosnan had come out with a similar rant as Masterson after the Leinster final.
Except instead of talking about a mistake by the ref (which probably wasnt even a mistake) he talked about a howler by his keeper which cost him a Leinster winners medal.

AZOffaly

Hound, that's not the point. I think most people agree that Masterson's comments were ill advised at best. The issue is this edict that he'd better make an apology 'or else'. That is simply not catered for in the rule book.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2011, 12:13:22 PM
Hound, that's not the point. I think most people agree that Masterson's comments were ill advised at best. The issue is this edict that he'd better make an apology 'or else'. That is simply not catered for in the rule book.
No they just pulled his pants down and slapped him on the a4se.
A fitting punishment, whether in the rule book or not.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on August 16, 2011, 12:25:35 PM

You think it's right that the GAA should take a senior intercounty player and 'pull his pants down and slap him on the arse'?

I think that's petty, dictatorial and overstepping their mark. Charge him if you think he did the disrepute thing, or else let it go. It's also a dangerous precedent to set apart from everything else.

a) Will they make the same moves if Paul Galvin or Henry Shefflin or Jack O'Connor or Pat Gilroy do the same thing?
b) If they take no action, what does that say about how they see Wexford?
c) If they go straight to suspensions, surely those lads can claim precedent and offer to apologise.

It's crazy stuff.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2011, 12:29:36 PM

You think it's right that the GAA should take a senior intercounty player and 'pull his pants down and slap him on the arse'?

I think that's petty, dictatorial and overstepping their mark. Charge him if you think he did the disrepute thing, or else let it go. It's also a dangerous precedent to set apart from everything else.

a) Will they make the same moves if Paul Galvin or Henry Shefflin or Jack O'Connor or Pat Gilroy do the same thing?
c) If they go straight to suspensions, surely those lads can claim precedent and offer to apologise.

It's crazy stuff.

None of them would be stupid enough to do the same thing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2011, 12:34:46 PM

It's crazy stuff.

I think if you're daft enough to slap a referee's book out of his hands, you'd be well capable of saying the referee was cat.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2011, 12:34:46 PM

It's crazy stuff.

They probably wouldn't Jinxy but it was still ridiculous by the CCCC and probably sets a precedent as AZ pointed out.

Jinxy

That's a fair point.
Galvin received a hefty suspension for that though which kind of disproves your argument.

irunthev

My nephew had a rant at a ref in a game for his school and the PE teacher made him write a letter to the ref to apologise and told him that until the letter was penned, then he wouldn't be allowed to play for the school again. He was 11 at the time.

Maybe Seamus Woods has forgotten on this occassion that he is no longer a school teacher (albeit, he was a very fine school teacher).

The Wexford CB should have stepped in on their player's behalf and said "You're not going to make a tit out of this man. He's one of us and we're sticking by him." If he's been good enough to represent Wexford with distinction for the past four or five years, then he's good enough to stand up for. The crime is not in question here.... the punishment is.

As mentioned in another post..... God help the committee man you tried to pull a stunt like this on a Cork player.