Irish Independent is forced to apologise for it's behaviour !!

Started by orangeman, August 02, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Masterson told to apologise for outburst

Wexford goalkeeper Anthony Masterson has been orderded to apologise for his recent outburst against referee Derek Fahy.

Masterson was highly critical of Fahy's performance during his side's All-Ireland SFC round four qualifier with Limerick after a controversial match-winning point, and he didn't hold back during an interview with RTÉ's John Kenny.

"It looked like it was a yard wide," he said. "It's just mind-baffling. We've given up so much of our life and a decision like that cost us the game.

"Granted, we let them back in the game, that shouldn't have happened, but when games come down to things like that, like, you give up so much time of your life and you train so much and you give up everything - your social life, you miss your family, the whole thing.

"And a decision like that, it costs you your Championship. We had a chance of a replay going into an All-Ireland quarter-final . . . It's typical of the GAA: Wexford and Limerick stuck away into Portlaoise, given a bad referee."

Masterson has now been ordered by the GAA to apologise in writing for his comments or face the prospect of an eight week suspension.

According to a report in the Irish Independent, the goalkeeper will issue an appology to the Central Competitions Control Committee in order to bring the matter to a close.

Maguire01

orangeman

I'll be shocked if he makes an apology for his "behaviour". If he felt he was right then, surely he will feel just as aggrieved now and not bow down to the CCC.

So, there is facility now to be a good boy and say sorry or else face an 8 week sanction.

I know what I'de be doing - a bit like what some of the boys are telling Sean Brady to do ...........  ;)

borderfox

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AZOffaly

In fairness he went OTT and apparently the ref was correct, so he was wrong.

However this smacks of the big GAA telling the little player to stop being bold. A little bizarre.

Jinxy

It was a completely unwarranted personal attack on the referee and he should 100% apologise.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I didn't know there was any provision in the rules for this sort of nonsense. If there's a sanction for the breach he's been found guilty of, then apply it. "Apologise and we'll let it go" is paternalistic, patronising crap.

fitzroyalty

Why should he apologise for stating facts? Maybe the GAA bigwigs could look at this objectively and maybe re-assess the ref in question and see if he is indeed fit for purpose.

AZOffaly

What facts did he state? I think the apology thing is crap, but Masterson was wrong.

Mayo4Sam

Is there a sanction for bringing the game into disrepute?

Is masterson still in the club championship? I presume he is and that's the reason he apologised.
Also masterson seems like a decent fella, he prob realised he went OTT in the heat of the moment.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 02, 2011, 10:18:22 PM
Is there a sanction for bringing the game into disrepute?

Is masterson still in the club championship? I presume he is and that's the reason he apologised.
Also masterson seems like a decent fella, he prob realised he went OTT in the heat of the moment.

I agree. I commented before that after he went on a rant onNewstalk, he composed himself and issued a very sincere sounding and nice tribute to Limerick, and wished them well. That was a hard thing to do when you are as raging as he was.

crossfire

He wouild look plain silly if he apologised now.

I hope he has the balls to stand over what he said.

Call their bluff.

Shamrock Shore

He said Fahy was the worst ref in Ireland!!!

For this he should apologise......cos he isn't even the worst ref in Longford!

To my delight Fahy will never ref a Longford game!

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

orangeman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 02, 2011, 10:56:35 PM
He's already apologised today

A man of principle then. That'll teach him to come out with ill judged comments about a referee -

PS Was this a game of professional soccer we're talking about now ?.