Cardinal Sean Brady: Stop GAA matches on Sunday mornings

Started by whiskeysteve, August 02, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2011, 04:46:19 PM
Surely if you call your team St Mary's or St Brigid's you should listen to him and act accordingly.

If your team is called O'Donovan Rossa's or Wolfe tones or Pearces should you adjust your political outlook accordingly?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: LeoMc on August 04, 2011, 10:51:34 PM
Surely if you call your team St Mary's or St Brigid's you should listen to him and act accordingly.

If your team is called O'Donovan Rossa's or Wolfe tones or Pearces should you adjust your political outlook accordingly?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Do Castlebar Mitchels or John Mitchels (Liverpool) club members have to be pro-slavery, do members of Granuailes in Australia have to become pirates or members of the Sinn Fein club in Australia join the political party. Do Cormac McAnallen's in Australia have to support Tyrone? Do Clonmel Commercials have to become businessmen.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2011, 11:52:07 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Do Castlebar Mitchels or John Mitchels (Liverpool) club members have to be pro-slavery, do members of Granuailes in Australia have to become pirates or members of the Sinn Fein club in Australia join the political party. Do Cormac McAnallen's in Australia have to support Tyrone? Do Clonmel Commercials have to become businessmen.

Yes to all the above.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 04, 2011, 09:54:41 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 04, 2011, 04:46:30 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 04, 2011, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 04, 2011, 10:54:09 AM
There is no need for the abusive comments aimed at Cardinal Brady. I could get into a debate as to why, but I don't have the time or the will. However if the church sorted out the shortage of priests by allowing them to marry at least or even get the women in they would be able to put on enough masses to avoid giving parents this dilema. I know faced with a choice between listening to a 78 yo priest at Mass or going to training with the sprog...no contest.

Is that what you are going to tell St Peter at the gates  :D

People are abusive towards him because no longer will they be lectured to by an old man who has ZERO credibility given what he has done - ie, covering up the rape of someone elses "sprog". Maybe he should consider why it is that people prefer to go to football training instead of to mass. Maybe if his organisation were able to relate to young people who did have a "faith" then they might go to mass instead. I know a lot of lads that lie in bed on Sunday morning with Hangovers and wouldn't dream of getting up until 1pm. Should the cardinal make a request that pubs close early on Saturday night to prevent this?

This is a republic and people have choices to make and will no longer be dictated to by the like of Brady - he better get used to it.
Can't disagree with a lot of what you are saying but his mistake was not to put his head above the parapet...at a time when to do so would have gone against his employers.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say either.
However, I do in this instance.
Forty-ish years ago, Brady was a bureaucrat; a link in a well-oiled chain of command that reached down from the Vatican, through the episcopate and then through the tiers of gophers like himself to the laity at the bottom of the pile.
He was conditioned to do what his Lordship required of him. If he had shown any sign of independent thinking, he would have found himself in a curacy in a remote rural parish or he might be a "professor" of Latin or Greek in some diocesan secondary school and Brady was a careerist.
The Church ran on obedience to authority and he knew his place in the proverbial food chain. But 99% of others would have acted as he did. That's the reality.
A case of "Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die" and all that shite.
I am reasonably certain that, at the time he interviewed the children, he did not know the full extent of what was going on all around him. He was still a few rungs too far down the ladder to have known this.
But now Sean has a red hat and he knows well what atrocities were committed in the name of the God he is supposed to serve. For years he has had access to any diocesan file he could ever wish to see-including the cover up job he did for his master when he interviewed those kids.
He has chosen to deny all wrong doing even to the extent of refusing to acknowledge to the (then children) involved that he did any wrong.

This is where I feel he is making his mistake and the sheep in his flock are voting on the matter with their bums. The numbers who attend u10 blitzes or the likes on a Sunday morning aren't the main cause for the decline in the numbers of posteriors on church pews.
Brady should look closer to home if he wants to know the main reason.

When the Murphy Report was published, (2009?) this is what the bould cardinal declared: "Every Catholic should comply fully with their obligations to the civil law and co-operate with the gardai in the reporting and investigation of any crime."

If he managed to say that with a straight face, he must be one hell of a poker player.
Again I agree, the point that I'm trying to make is that he did what 95% of us would do when instructed to do something shady by our employer. I do think that he should go but the problem is the grip Rome and a conservative papacy has on the Church.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 04, 2011, 07:18:17 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 04, 2011, 10:54:09 AM
However if the church sorted out the shortage of priests by allowing them to marry at least or even get the women in they would be able to put on enough masses to avoid giving parents this dilema.
That ignores the fact that most churches around the country are only half full for the masses that are on at the minute.
But if the priesthood where more representative of the rest of us this may change.

sheamy

Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2011, 12:10:43 AM

Yes to all the above.

What do Crossmaglen and Nemo members have to be pro ?

Louth Exile

Quote from: sheamy on August 05, 2011, 11:10:01 AM

Yes to all the above.

What do Crossmaglen and Nemo members have to pro ?

I'm away off to become a carpenter and marry a woman who is already in child to another man so!

What about the lads from Annaghminon Rovers or the Dreadnots? At what age are you too old for the Dundalk Yound Irelands or Eire Og in Carlow?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

noskill

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 05, 2011, 11:18:02 AM
Quote from: sheamy on August 05, 2011, 11:10:01 AM

Yes to all the above.

What do Crossmaglen and Nemo members have to pro ?

I'm away off to become a carpenter and marry a woman who is already in child to another man so!

What about the lads from Annaghminon Rovers or the Dreadnots? At what age are you too old for the Dundalk Yound Irelands or Eire Og in Carlow?
The Tyrone boys, should all join the Longford Slashers ;D

ONeill

A lot of lads have their eyes open now. Time to reassess your affiliations. Muff Divers GAC ecstatic.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mylestheslasher

Slashers are named after me!

There used to be a few clubs with Slashers. Cavan Gaels used to be Cavan Slashers but then they went all pansy and had to remove it.

Croí na hÉireann

Don't mention the Slashers, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Anyone a member ( ???) of the Fighting c**k's Gaa Club in Kilcoole, Carlow.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Isn't there a club in Kerry called Legion.  :o

"My name is Legion: for we are many"
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on August 05, 2011, 01:17:43 PM
Anyone a member ( ???) of the Fighting c**k's Gaa Club in Kilcoole, Carlow.
No but I'm thinking of setting up the Fighting f**kers club and I'm going to give life memberships to Mike Sheehy and Jinxy.  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi