Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

We lost today for three main reasons:

1) Didn't quite bring the same intensity around the middle of the field. The O'Sheas aren't completely to blame for this the half backs and half forwards equally so.

2) Made to many silly mistakes from the 30 to 55 mins. This included about 3 soft frees and giving the away the ball too often around midfield.

3) We were just not clinical enough. Andy had 3 really good goal chances and Donie Vaughan had another. A O'Shea had another half chance as well.

But I think we can take plenty of positives though. We kept going when we could have dropped our heads, a few of our younger lads played good stuff (Vaughan, Cafferkey and Varley in particular) and created chances.

Pangurban

Mayo can take a lot of credit and positives from this game, with continued application and perseverance an AI is not far away, they are a good side who need a little bit of luck to go their way. The game today was a lot closer than the scoreboard displayed at the end

From the Bunker

Quote from: kevmy on August 21, 2011, 08:54:44 PM

1) Didn't quite bring the same intensity around the middle of the field. The O'Sheas aren't completely to blame for this the half backs and half forwards equally so.

2) Made to many silly mistakes from the 30 to 55 mins. This included about 3 soft frees and giving the away the ball too often around midfield.

3) We were just not clinical enough. Andy had 3 really good goal chances and Donie Vaughan had another. A O'Shea had another half chance as well.

But I think we can take plenty of positives though. We kept going when we could have dropped our heads, a few of our younger lads played good stuff (Vaughan, Cafferkey and Varley in particular) and created chances.

The trump card of the element of surprise was gone for this game. We had shown our hand really in the cork game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Pangurban on August 21, 2011, 09:10:37 PM
Mayo can take a lot of credit and positives from this game, with continued application and perseverance an AI is not far away, they are a good side who need a little bit of luck to go their way. The game today was a lot closer than the scoreboard displayed at the end

Nice sentiments, but i think 9 points was about right, Kerry had the game done and dusted with 20 minutes left.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Hard luck Mayo, Well done Kerry............................ went with the gut this morning and put 15 smacks on kerry -5 pts at 2/1 so happy enough

kevmy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 21, 2011, 09:16:07 PM
Quote from: kevmy on August 21, 2011, 08:54:44 PM

The trump card of the element of surprise was gone for this game. We had shown our hand really in the cork game.

Definitely some truth in that. Over the years it has been shown the QFs throw up more shocks that SFs. We are a young team and hopefully will continue to improve.

We will be back.

Maigh Eo Abú

bennydorano

Kerry will murder you if you let them play of the front foot.  Neither Dublin or Donegal will allow it thou, Kerry will be stopped in their tracks in their own HB & MF areas preventing their potent attacking.  Not sure if Donegal have the armoury up front to play such a physically exhausting tactical game and still be potent enough up front to carry it off v Kerry, but the Dubs certainly do.  If it's Kerry v Donegal there'll be some hoofing into Donaghy.

moysider

Only just back and had the grub. Not too disappointed. We ve come a long way in a short time and it showed today. A step too far too soon against a team that knows exactly where they need to be at this time of year. And you can only get that by being there regularly.We re just going to have to try and bridge that gap. But getting back to last 4/8 regularly is a must.  There was also a gulf in quality and also in strength. Likes of O Sés, Cooper and Declan O Sullivan are footballers of a lifetime, let alone a generation. Galvin was class as well. We ll done Kerry. They ll improve even more and really can t see them beaten. I ll come back to our fellas later but I need to go drinking now.

squire_in_navy_slacks

The kerry buckos are as tough as oak, mayo hoofed into them but it didnt matter a bit, kerry are one of the toughest bunches around, no soft centre

Hardy

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 21, 2011, 09:22:12 PM
Hard luck Mayo, Well done Kerry............................ went with the gut this morning and put 15 smacks on kerry -5 pts at 2/1 so happy enough

Where did you get 2/1 on that?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Hardy on August 21, 2011, 09:45:16 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 21, 2011, 09:22:12 PM

Where did you get 2/1 on that?

Kerry +4 was 11/10 with Paddy Power so I'd find it difficult to believe that another point on the handicap extended the odds to 2/1.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hardy

Exactly. (Kerry -4, of course). Kerry -4.5 was 2.16 on Betfair. I didn't look around much, but I find it hard to believe any bookie was offering 2/1 on K -5.

An Gaeilgoir

Just in the door now. Not much to add Kerry in a different league to our lads position at the moment. Feeling realy disapointed tonight for some reason. Maybe the half time score give me hope and our replacement from the bench were really disapointing for me. Well done to James and the lads for the effort this year. Each time they have left everything on the pitch and thats all we can ask for, as supporters. Another 10-15 per cent improvement next year and we wont be far off the mark. Off for a few pints now in the local and bed. 61 years

comethekingdom

Well done to the lads today. Great win albeit the score line was a bit flattering. Thought Gooch was class today, T'O Se played brilliant too. Donaghy was poor I thought as most balls just bounced off him into Mayo hands in the 1st half. Anthony was quiet in the ist half but upped it in the 2nd. Declan and Darren quiet by their usual standards. Eoin Brosnan played well but Marc got a bit of a roasting from Andy Moran who I thought was class. Paul made a huge difference when he came on, fair play to him, he is really fired up for it this year. I felt somewhat sorry for the Mayo fans leaving croker today - after all the hype and shite posted here after they bate Cork they were dissapointed again today but in fairness they didnt throw in the towel early as they have done previously. Had to laugh at the boys in the supervalu stand at the back of the cusack telling the Mayo supporters to come and get their picture took with the cup before the match as it would be the last time they'd see it !!. All in all pretty impressed with the performance but a huge improvement will be required again if we are to bring Sam back home to his rightful residence.

Sam2011

Absolutely gutted for the the lads but, I'm as proud as punch to say I'm from Mayo! I'm so happy with the year we've had, more than I could have asked for after last year and London this year! Great to see the Green and Red support out in force today! Really thought we could win this match especially at HT. This is only the beginning of a journey for us and the lads and it's going to be one hell of a journey! We've a young team and management and their is something special about them! They have a spirit of fight, determination, desire, hunger and there is a spark in them! They also show no fear and are not afraid to get stuck into their opponent, which we have been missing for a while! They've learned so much this year and gained so much experience which will stand with them forever!
Finally would just like to thank all of the 31 lads on the squad, management and everyone else who has helped this year and gave up their spare time for their county and done us justice!
The future is looking bright for Mayo GAA 2012!
BELIEVE AND YOU WILL ACHIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!