GAA related spam

Started by Fionntamhnach, March 07, 2007, 05:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionntamhnach

Anybody, especially those who maintain websites, seeing a slow but visible increase of this?

I just got one there from a promotion company trying to pimp itself for "music for GAA fund raisers"

Over the past week I've also received an email - twice - from some Pakistani firm trying to sell me "hurling balls".

In the past I've also had e-mails from firms sending bulk e-mails that are GAA related adverts. One Dublin based hotel even had the cheek to say to me to print out their e-mail (it was an "offer" for accommodation during an All-Ireland semi-final weekend) and pin it up on the club notice board.  ::)

There's been one thing in common about all these e-mails - they're unsolicited. I have never given the address to these companies for me to receive their adverts, I can only assume they trawl GAA related websites to gather e-mail addresses and not in the usual spam harvester way, but done manually.

In the past I've simply marked these messages as spam for my filters, but I'm getting seriously tempted to read up on the Irish and British spam laws to stop this shite.

Gabriel_Hurl

Over the past week I've also received an email - twice - from some Pakistani firm trying to sell me "hurling balls".

I've had that one as well

QuoteDEAR SIR,

WE FOUND YOU AT ONLINE SEARCH RESULT OF MSN. WE ARE MANUFACTURING DIFFER KIND OF SPORTS GLOVES

AND HURLING BALLS,GAELIC FOOTBALLS, FOOTBALLS EQUIPMENT & ACCESSORIES. WE HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURING THESE SINCE LONG TIME AND ARE EXPORTING THESE TOO MANY OF NEW AND FEW OF FAMOUS BRANDS. FOR YOUR INFORMATION WE ARE

A DIRECT SUPPLIER OEM FOR Cooper, SLIOTHARS, ETC. WE SUPPLY THESE SLIOTARS TO U.K , USA, SCOTLAND. SO IF YOU NEED ANY OF THE SLIOTARS CONTACT US TO GET PRICE INFO AND RELATED INFORMATION. WE WORK ON BUYER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND TRY TO PROVIDE EVER BEST THAT THE CUSTOMER NEEDS.

WE WILL BE SEEKING FOR A NICE REPLY FROM YOUR SIDE.

BEST REARDS

Mr. Khalid Mehmood & Mr. Muhammad Ali

Kerry Mike

QuoteBEST REARDS

Mr. Khalid Mehmood & Mr. Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali played hurling before with Eddie Keher I think there is a famous photo of him. Maybe thats where they got the idea!!!

WE HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURING THESE SINCE LONG TIME AND ARE EXPORTING THESE TOO MANY OF NEW AND FEW OF FAMOUS BRANDS

g'way ta f**k....

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Deal_Me_In

Im not sure about those used in championship but i know that the ones most counties use for training are maid in pakistan or romania. It is much cheaper to manufacteur these in foreign countries than in ireland. Also DJ Careys brother Jack has a factory just outside Bratislava that manufacteurs hurls and imports them back to ireland.

thebandit

I'm getting all those as well

Annoying as f**k >:(

ziggysego

I'm getting loads coming via the website.

1) Club steamrooms and baths
2) Music Fundraiser
3) Personalised Footballs, etc. in Clubs crest and colours
Testing Accessibility

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteI'm getting loads coming via the website.

1) Club steamrooms and baths

Is that the secret for Greencastle's success?

bailestil

Had the Usual, Ice Baths,
Musical Events/Fundraisers.
Hurls, Gloves

Biggest problem is still from general internet spamming, with fake accounts being signed up for in the forum, and some spammer using my Domain name as a screen for Spam messages, so i get 100's per day boucing back to me from random e-mails.

Pain in the bloody arse!

Blacksheep

Quote from: bailestil on March 07, 2007, 11:10:48 PM
Hurls, Gloves

Biggest problem is still from general internet spamming, with fake accounts being signed up for in the forum, and some spammer using my Domain name as a screen for Spam messages, so i get 100's per day boucing back to me from random e-mails.

Pain in the bloody arse!
Can you explain what all that means? I done understand the techie stuff.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Fionntamhnach

Another great one, this time sent to our clubs' own gaa.ie mailbox  >:(

QuoteDear Secretary,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could print off the attached special offer and display it in your club house.

Kind Regards

N***a S*****n

Sales & Marketing Executive
Quality Resort Killarney
Cork Road , Killarney, Co.Kerry

So you expect clubs to use their own time for printing an advert for yourselves to put on their own space with nothing in it for the clubs themselves? **** off! >:(

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: Blacksheep on March 08, 2007, 07:39:08 AM
Quote from: bailestil on March 07, 2007, 11:10:48 PM
Hurls, Gloves

Pain in the bloody arse!
Can you explain what all that means? I done understand the techie stuff.
The spammer is using the guy's email address (spoof of course) to send spam to millions of email address that have been harvested from websites, some of which no longer exist therefore are rejected by e-mail servers and sent to his mailbox as "undelivered" believing that the email originated from him.