Is the Pope of Rome welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 28, 2011, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Pope welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Yes
25 (56.8%)
No
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

lynchbhoy

what religions are those multiple beardy guys heads of ?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 28, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
what religions are those multiple beardy guys heads of ?

I couldn't be arsed answering that in detail, read it for yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarch
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

The pope is the head of state of the Vatican. The government of this country set up an enquiry that found the Vatican had covered up the sexual abuse of Irish children and hindered investigations into it. It also found that they did this as recent as 2009 when their new child protection guidelines were supposedly in place. An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, put this on record in the dail. Any state that would interfere in Irish law, especially when it comes to the sexual abuse of innocent children, should not have their head of that state "welcomed" into this country. Anyone who voted yes to this poll clearly puts more importance in the Vatican state than they do in the Irish state. Mayogodhelpus is also correct when he insinuates that the majority of "yes" votes will come from those in the 6 counties who, in my opinion, have a deeper allegiance to the catholic faith - presumably as it formed part of their identity during the troubles in a way perhaps it did not south of the border. Ironically, many of these people would consider themselves republicans. Anyone who votes Yes and considers themselves a republican, simply does not have a clue what a republic is. A resounding NO vote from me. In fact, a few of the hoors that represent the Vatican in this country should be going the opposite direction and back into the nest of corruption that is the vatican.

LaurelEye

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 03:03:02 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2011, 02:56:27 PM
Quote from: randomtask on July 28, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole Catholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And I'm sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the Irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

Have you heard of the Cloyne report? Did you read/hear An Taoiseach's speech after the report was published.
There are ample reasons there why the leader of the Catholic Church should not be welcome in this country.

Enda was grand standing.
The country welcomed the Queen, as commander in chief of the British armed forces should she be held responsible for their atrocities over here?

Ya of course he was  ::) , you just don't like him.

Surely the Absolute Leader of the spies and footsoldiers of the Vatican should be held responsible for their atrocities over here? Or is your brand of Republicanism, the exclusively the Anglophobic variety?

If I was from Mayo, I'd be more worried about what a different set of Red Socks are likely to do to yis next Sunday.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2011, 03:14:05 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 03:03:02 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2011, 02:56:27 PM
Quote from: randomtask on July 28, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole Catholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And I'm sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the Irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

Have you heard of the Cloyne report? Did you read/hear An Taoiseach's speech after the report was published.
There are ample reasons there why the leader of the Catholic Church should not be welcome in this country.

Enda was grand standing.
The country welcomed the Queen, as commander in chief of the British armed forces should she be held responsible for their atrocities over here?

The British armed forces didn't commit any atrocities in the Republic of Ireland (which she was visiting, not the north) in over 90 years (with the possible but unproven exception of the Dublin & Monaghan bombings).
The abuse cover ups have been happening to at least as recently as 3 years ago.

Partitionism at it's finest right there  ::)

Pathetic and disgraceful attempt to play down the Dublin/Monaghan bombings. "Possible exception" my hole. It was the single worst atrocity of the last fifty years and the dogs in the street know that British security forces were involved. Yet as recently as May 24th this year, the day after Her Majesty's visit ended, (you know, the visit which 'demonstrated the mutual respect between the two countries' etc etc?), HM's government continued with it's lies and cover-ups (sound familiar? Church cover-ups etc?) when they yet again refused to hand over it's files to assist with investigations. Seems you really are struggling to justify your hypocrisy.

In short, you are saying:
The Head of State of Britain and Head of the Armed Forces which carried out abuses in Ireland is welcome....but...
The Head of State of The Vatican and of the Catholic Church, which carried out abuses in Ireland, is not welcome.

Laughable.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

You never seem a bit bothered about the atrocities of the Vatican in Ireland, admit it Nally you are a Catholic Nationalist not an Irish Republican.

(and wait, for the "I asked you a question 6 months ago, answer it now", links to fish in barrels and self congradulation from NS reply)

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 03:49:47 PM
You never seem a bit bothered about the atrocities of the Vatican in Ireland, admit it Nally you are a Catholic Nationalist not an Irish Republican.

(and wait, for the "I asked you a question 6 months ago, answer it now", links to fish in barrels and self congradulation from NS reply)

A post full of nothingness from you as usual Mayo. Accusing someone of not caring about sexual abuse of children shows how low you can sink though.

Maybe you could let us all know how the head of one state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should be welcomed to Ireland, while the head of another state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should not be welcomed to Ireland?

P.s. I can assure you that I am more of a Republican than someone who feels the need to put in brackets how many counties he is referring to after he writes the word "Ireland".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 28, 2011, 04:02:01 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 03:49:47 PM

A post full of nothingness from you as usual Mayo. Accusing someone of not caring about sexual abuse of children shows how low you can sink though.

Maybe you could let us all know how the head of one state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should be welcomed to Ireland, while the head of another state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should not be welcomed to Ireland?

P.s. I can assure you that I am more of a Republican than someone who feels the need to put in brackets how many counties he is referring to after he writes the word "Ireland".

This is about your Pope not the Queen of England, stop deflecting.

A 32 county Ireland you fool, is about reunification, it is not a part of being a Republican. If you knew what a Republican was you would know that too. What you are talking about is Nationalism, NOT Republicanism, doh  :P

I am pro re-unification, and a Republican, entirely different things. But I am more a Republican than someone who hasn't a clue of that obvious fact.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2011, 04:08:15 PM
What odds is it to you? You don't even live here.

It's my country, I don't need your permission to be bothered about it.

Tyrones own

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2011, 03:30:10 PM
The pope is the head of state of the Vatican. The government of this country set up an enquiry that found the Vatican had covered up the sexual abuse of Irish children and hindered investigations into it. It also found that they did this as recent as 2009 when their new child protection guidelines were supposedly in place. An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, put this on record in the dail. Any state that would interfere in Irish law, especially when it comes to the sexual abuse of innocent children, should not have their head of that state "welcomed" into this country. Anyone who voted yes to this poll clearly puts more importance in the Vatican state than they do in the Irish state. Mayogodhelpus is also correct when he insinuates that the majority of "yes" votes will come from those in the 6 counties who, in my opinion, have a deeper allegiance to the catholic faith - presumably as it formed part of their identity during the troubles in a way perhaps it did not south of the border. Ironically, many of these people would consider themselves republicans. Anyone who votes Yes and considers themselves a republican, simply does not have a clue what a republic is. A resounding NO vote from me. In fact, a few of the hoors that represent the Vatican in this country should be going the opposite direction and back into the nest of corruption that is the vatican.
I have idea myles...how about disecting your own inner demons, self loathing and
obvious discomfort in your own skin and leave the reasoning to the yes votes to those personally responsible for them  ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Nally Stand

Quote from MGHU on this thread at 2:03pm:
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 02:03:02 PM
I noticed you voted Yes. So you welcome this Absolute Monarch, this Head of State, this Leader of a Religion, this Leader of a country which has done great wrong to Ireland & very recently. What was your reaction to Elizabeth II coming to the Irish Republic?

Quote from MGHU on this thread at 4:07pm:
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 04:07:32 PM

What a difference a couple of hours can make  :D :D :D Saying as you found yourself fit to talk about the queen of England earlier, I will repeat my question (maybe you could answer it this time?):

Could you let us all know how the head of one state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should be welcomed to Ireland, while the head of another state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should not be welcomed to Ireland?

P.s. Again, I will never need lectured on Irish Republicanism by a FGer who feels the need to put in brackets outlining how many counties he is referring to after he writes the word "Ireland".

mylestheslasher

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 28, 2011, 04:19:12 PM

P.s. Again, I will never need lectured on Irish Republicanism by a FGer who feels the need to put in brackets outlining how many counties he is referring to after he writes the word "Ireland".

O you are a complete idiot Republicanism and Reunification are not the same thing, they intersect in the Irish context but they are NOT the same thing. I stated the number of counties to distinguish the Island of the name Ireland from the Independent Nation State of Ireland (which is its official name). Just in case you struggle with it, the 26 counties which include all the counties of Munster, Leinster and Connacht + the counties of Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan are not called Southern Ireland or the Free State or any other of your regular insults. If you have an issue with me calling the 26 counties Ireland, that is an argument about Reunification or Nationalism NOT Republicanism you inept moron.

Move beyond the school of petrol bombs for your interpretation of Republicanism and try a book perhaps.

You are clearly a Nationailst, but don't appear to be a Republican.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 04:36:57 PM

O you are a complete idiot Republicanism and Reunification are not the same thing, they intersect in the Irish context but they are NOT the same thing. I stated the number of counties to distinguish the Island of the name Ireland from the Independent Nation State of Ireland (which is its official name). Just in case you struggle with it, the 26 counties which include all the counties of Munster, Leinster and Connacht + the counties of Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan are not called Southern Ireland or the Free State or any other of your regular insults. If you have an issue with me calling the 26 counties Ireland, that is an argument about Reunification or Nationalism NOT Republicanism you inept moron.

Move beyond the school of petrol bombs for your interpretation of Republicanism and try a book perhaps.

You are clearly a Nationailst, but don't appear to be a Republican.

:D :D :D Have you no shame?
- You quote ONE line from my post, which is basically just an aside from my main arguments of my post
- You want to talk about nothing but definitions of republicanism but accuse me of changing the subject when talking about visits to Ireland by HM
- One minute you are asking a poster "What was your reaction to Elizabeth II coming to the Irish Republic?", yet when I mention her, you reply "This is about your Pope not the Queen of England, stop deflecting." (priceless  :D)

...Now, I have asked you a question repeatedly on this thread an you have refused so far to answer it, so I may just re-post my last post, (minus the little aside about republicanism just so you can stay focused), and we can see if you are capable of answering it yet...

Quote from MGHU on this thread at 2:03pm:
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 02:03:02 PM
I noticed you voted Yes. So you welcome this Absolute Monarch, this Head of State, this Leader of a Religion, this Leader of a country which has done great wrong to Ireland & very recently. What was your reaction to Elizabeth II coming to the Irish Republic?

Quote from MGHU on this thread at 4:07pm:
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 04:07:32 PM

What a difference a couple of hours can make  :D :D :D Saying as you found yourself fit to talk about the queen of England earlier, I will repeat my question (maybe you could answer it this time?):

Could you let us all know how the head of one state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should be welcomed to Ireland, while the head of another state/organisation which had members commit heinous crimes and which continues to cover them up, should not be welcomed to Ireland?

Nally Stand

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2011, 04:31:34 PM
Nally - May I ask how you voted and why?

Apologies for the lateness of the reply here, I was having trouble connecting to the board for some reason there. To answer your question, I haven't voted on the thread at all actually. I try not to give too much credence to any poll started by a clown like MGHU.

I opposed the visit of the British Head of State & Head of the British armed forces on the point of principle that that person was the head of an organisation which continues to lie and withhold truths about disgusting crimes in Ireland. I also said at the time that until I believed that state/organisation apologised and did all in it's power to provide justice, I would continue to oppose such a visit. I would be a hypocrite if I didn't hold a similar opinion on a potential visit by The Pope. And I say that as a practicing Catholic. I have more faith in my actual religion and the Church as a spiritual entity, than in it's practical institutions/hierarchy/structures which have clearly let so many people down in such a cruel manner.