Is the Pope of Rome welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 28, 2011, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Pope welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Yes
25 (56.8%)
No
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 01:59:44 PM
Just noting that this was a question related to the Island called Ireland as opposed to the Indepenent Republic called Ireland.

Or the EU/IMF protectorate called Ireland

randomtask

Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole cataholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And im sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: randomtask on July 28, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole cataholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And im sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

Well if he does come, I hope he gets fckn lost and ends up in the Knock down in Tipperary.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

We know who your talking about when you mention the Pope, no need for the "of Rome" bit.  ::)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 12:19:29 PM
Just wondering what the general attitude to any visit by the Pope of Rome to Ireland, North or the Republic (or both).

What other Pope is there?

I noticed you voted Yes. So you welcome this Absolute Monarch, this Head of State, this Leader of a Religion, this Leader of a country which has done great wrong to Ireland & very recently. What was your reaction to Elizabeth II coming to the Irish Republic?

You have no idea what I voted or even wether I voted.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, didn't give a shit(but I'm getting 2 days off next year for her silver jubilee, so I hope she survives til then, though will probably get another day off when she pops off as well).
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 02:53:03 PM
Just wondering what the general attitude to any visit by the Pope of Rome to Ireland, North or the Republic (or both).

I noticed you voted Yes. So you welcome this Absolute Monarch, this Head of State, this Leader of a Religion, this Leader of a country which has done great wrong to Ireland & very recently. What was your reaction to Elizabeth II coming to the Irish Republic?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, didn't give a shit(but I'm getting 2 days off next year for her silver jubilee, so I hope she survives til then, though will probably get another day off when she pops off as well).

The vote went up 1 at the exact same time you posted, it wasn't hard to figure out.

Tubberman

Have you heard of the Cloyne report? Did you read/hear An Taoiseach's speech after the report was published.
There are ample reasons there why the leader of the Catholic Church should not be welcome in this country.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 02:48:37 PM
We know who your talking about when you mention the Pope, no need for the "of Rome" bit.  ::)

Is it ok if I call him Bishop of Rome?

Rossfan

Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2011, 02:56:27 PM

Have you heard of the Cloyne report? Did you read/hear An Taoiseach's speech after the report was published.
There are ample reasons there why the leader of the Catholic Church should not be welcome in this country.
He'd be more welcome in Ros than that Taoiseach fella anyway
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole Catholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And I'm sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the Irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

Enda was grand standing.
The country welcomed the Queen, as commander in chief of the British armed forces should she be held responsible for their atrocities over here?
Tbc....

deiseach

One thing is for sure. If he does turn up in any capacity, Enda Kenny must stay away. You can't give a speech like that then schmooze the target of the speech

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 02:53:03 PM

The vote went up 1 at the exact same time you posted, it wasn't hard to figure out.

Means absolutely nothing.
If I was posting, how was I supposed to vote "at the exact same time"?
Tbc....

Tubberman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 03:03:02 PM
Why would he not be welcome? He is the head of the roman catholic church which has over a billion members. Ireland have a very small percentage of the whole Catholic church, do you really think that he new what was going on behind closed doors all those years ago. And I'm sure he didn't instigate the various cover ups. I think it would be a brilliant thing if he made a visit, also it would inject the Irish church with some positivity after so many years of negative press.

Enda was grand standing.
The country welcomed the Queen, as commander in chief of the British armed forces should she be held responsible for their atrocities over here?

The British armed forces didn't commit any atrocities in the Republic of Ireland (which she was visiting, not the north) in over 90 years (with the possible but unproven exception of the Dublin & Monaghan bombings).
The abuse cover ups have been happening to at least as recently as 3 years ago.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 28, 2011, 03:03:02 PM

Enda was grand standing.

Ya of course he was  ::) , you just don't like him.

Surely the Absolute Leader of the spies and footsoldiers of the Vatican should be held responsible for their atrocities over here? Or is your brand of Republicanism, the exclusively the Anglophobic variety?