All-Ireland SFC Quarter Final Mayo v Cork

Started by RedandGreenSniper, July 24, 2011, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

According to WJ (and Newstalk have just reported the same as unconfirmed), there will be two double-headers in Croke Park next weekend.

Saturday:
Roscommon v Tyrone 4pm
Kildare v Donegal 6pm

Sunday:
Kerry v Limerick 2pm
Mayo v Cork 4pm
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ildanach

judging by twitter its sunday at 4pm for our judgement day! kerry v limerick is the appetiser at 2
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ildanach

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

seafoid

Quote from: stevetharlear on July 25, 2011, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2011, 11:16:01 AM
Cork lost so many big matches before finally winning that all-Ireland last year. Cork are nobodies in the bigger scheme of football things. They only have 6 or 7 all-Irelands in total.
Galway have more and Mayo beat Galway so FFS get the head right Mayo and go out and win.
Also,they haven't lost to anyone bar Kerry in 8 years, they're totally useless. I'm sure they also would have struggled to beat London.

I was so relieved for them that they won the all-Ireland last year. I thought they would outdo Clann na nGael.

ross matt

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2011, 02:21:21 PM
Cork lost so many big matches before finally winning that all-Ireland last year. Cork are nobodies in the bigger scheme of football things. They only have 6 or 7 all-Irelands in total.
Galway have more and Mayo beat Galway so FFS get the head right Mayo and go out and win.
Also,they haven't lost to anyone bar Kerry in 8 years, they're totally useless. I'm sure they also would have struggled to beat London.

I was so relieved for them that they won the all-Ireland last year. I thought they would outdo Clann na nGael.

Make sure you get an anti - Ross dig in even on  a Cork/Mayo thread.  Suppose not many Galway threads left for you in fairness.

kevmy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2011, 12:34:39 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2011, 12:32:48 AM
Mayo have nothing to fear in this game.
We have a young team that no one seems to believe in.with a young manager who finally seems to be getting some kind of grip on what his best team is . If these guys get a dry ball on the wide open surface of Croker park they can run that cork defence ragged. All chances will need to be taklen bit Cillian o connor's CF form is a massive boost after all an 'average' team by  kerry standards took them aprt in the 1st half of the muster final and mayo can do the same against a cork team with an eye and a hlf on the Semi Final.
Many of mayos players are in the early stages of their career development and this game can help . A o se  Alan Freeman K mc laughlin  R hennelly E varley and R feeney  come of age as county players. there may be tweaks needed aound CHB to deal with corks power .But this is a winnable game and could really reignite mayo Quest for Sam. and watch the fans come running back then , but thise who care will be there the next day the rest can wait for the next  bandwagon.

Is it not on in Croke Park?

It's a fallacy that Mayo are poor in Croker. We beat Laois, Tyrone, Dublin and  Fermanagh in the Championship in '04 and '06. We got robbed against Meath in '09. We also beat Kerry and Offaly there in '96 and '97. Our issue is finals, not Croker.

Sunday at 4pm suits me perfect!!

Cork do have an injury list which will be worrying them - not for our game but for Kerry - 4 out of there best 9/10 forwards are injured. Goulding, Sheehan, O'Neill and O'Driscoll being out leaves them short and at least two (probably 3) of them would start. Also you have to consider that forwards is their weakest sector. Brolly is a idiot and, as DB said the last day, a gobshite but he has a point in that Cork often dominate possession at midfield and only win by a couple of points. If we get 40% at midfield we'll be in the game I reckon but it's a tough ask. If we don't get that 40% we're in serious trouble.

seafoid

Quote from: ross matt on July 25, 2011, 02:33:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2011, 02:21:21 PM

Make sure you get an anti - Ross dig in even on  a Cork/Mayo thread.  Suppose not many Galway threads left for you in fairness.
ross Matt

I didn't realise you Rossies were so touchy. Go and win the all-Ireland, will you and lighten up.
The Ross and Mayo threads are fascinating and much more interesting than watching Galway lose.   

Kerry Mike

Cork will win more than their share in midfield, they will then pass it back to their half backs, fart about there for a few seconds, suck in the opposition midfield and half backs, then they break fast into the open spaces with runs by Kerrigan or Kelly or the half backs themselves, or play the ball into the corners for O'Connor and his fellow full forward to try and win a free from which they score a high percentage of scores from. We have had this sussed in Kerry for years , but dont tell anyone ssssshhhh !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hardy

Quote from: kevmy on July 25, 2011, 02:39:47 PM
We got robbed

spanked
found out
what was coming to us

(tick as appropriate)

against Meath in '09.

galwayman

QuoteWe got robbed against Meath in '09

Ah come on now Ted - ye were beaten fair and square by Meath in 2009. I was there myself -there was no robbery involved.

Blowitupref

Can't imagine many will be in for the 2pm Limerick v Kerry game maybe a few Limerick fans?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on July 25, 2011, 03:13:44 PM
QuoteWe got robbed against Meath in '09

Ah come on now Ted - ye were beaten fair and square by Meath in 2009. I was there myself -there was no robbery involved.

We got some bad decisions against us - the lineball in the lead up to the penalty should have been a Mayo ball, and in the consequent passage of play, the penalty shouldn't have been given.
BUT, we still had plenty of time to win the game from there. It was out own fault we lost, no point blaming the ref, and you certainly couldn't blame Meath.
Anyway, that's in the past and has no relevance to Sunday - different management, a lot of different players, and hopefully a different attitude.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

Quote from: Tubberman on July 25, 2011, 03:18:35 PMthe lineball in the lead up to the penalty should have been a Mayo ball

Why would it be a Mayo ball when Joe Sheridan played it off a Mayo player's leg, from where it went out of play?

Quoteand in the consequent passage of play, the penalty shouldn't have been given

Why?

We might get a good row going here. It's too long since 1996.

Jinxy

They're great men for starting rows alright.
Tubberman would remind you of Anthony Finnerty.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedandGreenSniper

I hope we don't have any John Caseys on the board so, that duck out of the way at the first sight of trouble!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year