All-Ireland SFC Quarter Final Mayo v Cork

Started by RedandGreenSniper, July 24, 2011, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

That was a great performance by the team and the management and was as enjoyable a day in Croker as I've ever had.

I agree with Mayo4sam regarding the hit on O'Leary. It turned the game and suddenly hard but fair hits started going in everywhere. We went from watching Cork win the breaks to dominating the breaks.

At half time we were two points down and I said to my companions that if two or three more players raised their games we would win it. At the time I felt that only really midfield, Trevor, Richie and Andy were really outgunning their direct opponent. After the game of course we all said that everyone played well which they did but it was only really in the second half. For example Kevin McLaughlin scored 1-1 in the first half (I think) but apart from that I didn't think at half time he was doing much else. In the second half though he improved enormously. I don't mean to be critical but that imho is an area where we need to improve the next day.

As for the performance:

Hennelly had a good game and will gain from the experience. He can take funny options when the ball arrives near the goal but he hasn't been caught out and is  becoming a big figure for us. Scored his 45 too at an important time.

FB line: This was the line that started the slowest but finished the strongest. Caff was unlucky to have a peno called against him but O'Connor had gone past him rather easily. However this was also the line that provided the fantastic resistance that saw Cork only score once in the second half. Again Cunniffe stopped another serious forward, I rate only Declan O'Sullivan higher than Donncha O'Connor at the moment. Higgins had the pace to keep Kerrigan, quiet particularly in the second half and he finished the point of the match.

HB line: On paper I was worried but they improved as the game went on. Richie was a bit quieter than usual but kept his man quiet and still got through a lot of work. Donal Vaughan struggled in the first half I thought but had a big big second half. I didn't think he was a CHB up to now but I might have to change my mind. Trevor had one of his best days in a Mayo jersey and I have to hold my hand up and say I was wrong about my reservations about him being a half back. He was as good as any half back on view over the weekend.

MF: SOS put in a great shift. His handling needs a bit of work but his fielding and work-rate were fantastic even when no one else was playing well he was putting up a fight. AOS got better as the game progressed and overall was a huge player for us. He needs to let the ball do the work a bit more but he will learn. Ronan also did well when he came in and now we have a serious looking set of midfielders.

HF: Alan had a great second half as did Kevin who struggled with cramp towards the end. Andy played more of a FF/CF but secured a huge amount of possession. If Alan Dillon is the best out-ball for our defenders Andy has become the best out-ball for everyone Alan. Time and time again he beat Sheilds to the ball and made good use of it.

FF: Varley was doing quite well when he got on the ball and scored the free to put us ahead. Doherty did well though when he came on. Freeman put in a monumental amount of work. It was amazing watching him pop up everywhere winning ball and finding a teammate. I'm guessing he was substituted due to tiredness as I was tired myself just watching him. COC, the sky is the limit for him. Strong, two footed, solid free-taker, gave a superb pass to set up a point. If he applies himself as professionally as his club-mate Alan Dillon has, he will be a star.

Pride restored. Now time to move on.

Higgins or Cunniffe v Gooch? Trevor or Richie v Galvin? I am really looking forward to it already.

MWWSI 2017

north down

Congratulations to Mayo, a great display at headquarters. All that talk about Cork being unbeatable this year now that they were at the Business end of the Championship - the truth is that any of the teams left in it can win it - you have to have belief that you can win it but you also have to respect and even a degree of fear that the opposition have a chance. If you don't then complacency sets in. Well done again to Mayo.

Mayo4Sam

Muppet, can't agree with you on Kevin Mc, he was my MOTM, he won an amount of ball in the first half, a savage display
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on August 01, 2011, 08:28:41 PM
That was a great performance by the team and the management and was as enjoyable a day in Croker as I've ever had.

I agree with Mayo4sam regarding the hit on O'Leary. It turned the game and suddenly hard but fair hits started going in everywhere. We went from watching Cork win the breaks to dominating the breaks.

At half time we were two points down and I said to my companions that if two or three more players raised their games we would win it. At the time I felt that only really midfield, Trevor, Richie and Andy were really outgunning their direct opponent. After the game of course we all said that everyone played well which they did but it was only really in the second half. For example Kevin McLaughlin scored 1-1 in the first half (I think) but apart from that I didn't think at half time he was doing much else. In the second half though he improved enormously. I don't mean to be critical but that imho is an area where we need to improve the next day.

As for the performance:

Hennelly had a good game and will gain from the experience. He can take funny options when the ball arrives near the goal but he hasn't been caught out and is  becoming a big figure for us. Scored his 45 too at an important time.

FB line: This was the line that started the slowest but finished the strongest. Caff was unlucky to have a peno called against him but O'Connor had gone past him rather easily. However this was also the line that provided the fantastic resistance that saw Cork only score once in the second half. Again Cunniffe stopped another serious forward, I rate only Declan O'Sullivan higher than Donncha O'Connor at the moment. Higgins had the pace to keep Kerrigan, quiet particularly in the second half and he finished the point of the match.

HB line: On paper I was worried but they improved as the game went on. Richie was a bit quieter than usual but kept his man quiet and still got through a lot of work. Donal Vaughan struggled in the first half I thought but had a big big second half. I didn't think he was a CHB up to now but I might have to change my mind. Trevor had one of his best days in a Mayo jersey and I have to hold my hand up and say I was wrong about my reservations about him being a half back. He was as good as any half back on view over the weekend.

MF: SOS put in a great shift. His handling needs a bit of work but his fielding and work-rate were fantastic even when no one else was playing well he was putting up a fight. AOS got better as the game progressed and overall was a huge player for us. He needs to let the ball do the work a bit more but he will learn. Ronan also did well when he came in and now we have a serious looking set of midfielders.

HF: Alan had a great second half as did Kevin who struggled with cramp towards the end. Andy played more of a FF/CF but secured a huge amount of possession. If Alan Dillon is the best out-ball for our defenders Andy has become the best out-ball for everyone Alan. Time and time again he beat Sheilds to the ball and made good use of it.

FF: Varley was doing quite well when he got on the ball and scored the free to put us ahead. Doherty did well though when he came on. Freeman put in a monumental amount of work. It was amazing watching him pop up everywhere winning ball and finding a teammate. I'm guessing he was substituted due to tiredness as I was tired myself just watching him. COC, the sky is the limit for him. Strong, two footed, solid free-taker, gave a superb pass to set up a point. If he applies himself as professionally as his club-mate Alan Dillon has, he will be a star.

Higgins or Cunniffe v Gooch? Trevor or Richie v Galvin? I am really looking forward to it already.

Good post Muppet. Still on a high from yesaterday. What a job James Horan has done along with his back room team. How good it was to see james Nallen out on the field talking to some of the younger lads.

Kerry next, we have had false dawns before, so the same again and i for one will be happy regardless of the result.

Also no more talk of "fair weather" fans, people have a lot of reasons for not turning up last sunday, some of them financial unfortunately. That goes for Billy Fitz. on MWR as well.

Still a day to savour.

diehard

I have to agree Kevin McLoughlin was superb.  Very strong and robust for a light looking lad.  He handled a power of ball and wasted nothing apart fromthe wide.

criostlinn

Well, what can I say about that. A super performance from the boys in green and red. All over the pitch men fighting with real pride in the jersey.

Management, players everyone fighting for the cause. No doubt about it the two O'Shea brothers have turned this team around. These men really give it everything. Aiden O'Shea got some criticism for a couple of handling errors but by god he made up for it with fight and steel. Hiomself and the brother really relished the midfield battle. I honestly couldn't see Seamus making it at senior level after last year. Without a league under his belt I wasnt even considering him an option for us in 2011. Well my God has he proved me wrong. The performances he is putting in this year are phenomenal. He is playing like a man who is at this for years. Himself and the brother beat the cork midfield hands down yesterday. 

Some of the new lads on the team are taking to this craic like a ducks to water. Richie Feeney is some half back. Tough as nails and great ability. Cillian O Connor, cool as the breeze under pressure and plenty of spirit in the lad.

Ive seen lads in league games over the past few years, Donie Vaughan, Kevin McLoughlin, Ger Cafferkey. Lads who to me looked like fine footballers. Great to see them starting to click as a team.

One thing that stands out for me yesterday. Around the 20 minute mark, things weren't going to great around the middle. James Nallen came on the pitch and spoke to the goalie, a couple of the half backs and Aiden O'Shea. I dont know what he said but the whole thing just seem to click into place after this.

So now its on to the Kingdom. Im not going to say much about this. Ill tell you one thing for sure though after seeing the attitude and dedication of this squad of players and management since the London game, I believe. I want to thank them for getting the belief back into the Mayo supporters and allowing us to dream once again

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 01, 2011, 09:00:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 01, 2011, 08:28:41 PM

As for the performance:

Good post Muppet. Still on a high from yesaterday. What a job James Horan has done along with his back room team. How good it was to see james Nallen out on the field talking to some of the younger lads.

Kerry next, we have had false dawns before, so the same again and i for one will be happy regardless of the result.

Also no more talk of "fair weather" fans, people have a lot of reasons for not turning up last sunday, some of them financial unfortunately. That goes for Billy Fitz. on MWR as well.

Still a day to savour.

Your right, saw him telling Hennelly what to do with the kick outs after they were going against us. Just before the turn around if I remember rightly.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Mayo4Sam

Seen as there are no cork men here, you'd have to say they'd be disappointed with counihan yesterday, how was shields left on Moran, he was destroyed, surely switching cadogan or cotter onto him would have been an idea?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

Quote from: north down on August 01, 2011, 08:41:26 PM
Congratulations to Mayo, a great display at headquarters. All that talk about Cork being unbeatable this year now that they were at the Business end of the Championship - the truth is that any of the teams left in it can win it - you have to have belief that you can win it but you also have to respect and even a degree of fear that the opposition have a chance. If you don't then complacency sets in. Well done again to Mayo.

+1 Very well put.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 01, 2011, 10:02:19 PM
Seen as there are no cork men here, you'd have to say they'd be disappointed with counihan yesterday, how was shields left on Moran, he was destroyed, surely switching cadogan or cotter onto him would have been an idea?

Ever tried marking someone good in 80 yards of space with your midfield catching absolutely nothing? I have and it ain't fun.

Cork's lack of a defensive system cost them yesterday. they could have had Cahalalane marking Moran yesterday and he'd have been roasted.

Corks entire gameplan was built around winning midfield. Yesterday was the first day they didnt for 2 years.

Expect Cork to come back with a radically different game-plan next year.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Ever tried marking someone good in 80 yards of space with your midfield catching absolutely nothing? I have and it ain't fun.

Cork's lack of a defensive system cost them yesterday. they could have had Cahalalane marking Moran yesterday and he'd have been roasted.

Corks entire gameplan was built around winning midfield. Yesterday was the first day they didnt for 2 years.

Cork didn't win midfield v us last year it wasn't until Murphy came on did they break even & Shine roasted Shields then Counihan switched Canty onto him to limit the influence.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on August 01, 2011, 10:16:24 PM

Cork didn't win midfield v us last year it wasn't until Murphy came on did they break even & Shine roasted Shields then Counihan switched Canty onto him to limit the influence.

I would have said his influence was limited because he didnt get the ball.

Doesnt matter how good the back is.

In a pitch that size with ample possession the forward will always win in the abscence of a defensive system.

Dublin used to play like that and even the likes of Paddy Christie had rough days. You cant play in CP without some sort of a screen.

I'm not advocating Donegal's style. In my view thats going too far.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2011, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 01, 2011, 10:16:24 PM

I would have said his influence was limited because he didnt get the ball.

Doesnt matter how good the back is.

In a pitch that size with ample possession the forward will always win in the abscence of a defensive system.

Dublin used to play like that and even the likes of Paddy Christie had rough days. You cant play in CP without some sort of a screen.

I'm not advocating Donegal's style. In my view thats going too far.

Plenty of ball was played in remember O'Gara was fit for us last year once they won more possession in midfield (thanks to the introduction of Murphy) they had a platform to beat us.

On Saturday both ourselves & Tyrone didn't play any sort of screen in front of the back line but you can be sure Mickey Harte will change his tactics for ye.

Going back to Mayo, Horan did his homework on Cork he put his best footballing forward on Shields because he has struggled in a battle before & the Cork midfield is over rated, again he crowded the midfield & won most of the "dirty ball" Horan learned loads from the midfield battle they had in the Connacht final.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

I thought Mayo had a very slim chance of winning that game and if they were to win, two things had to happen. They had to start well and stick a couple of sucker punch goals in the second half. They did the opposite and won with a bit to spare. They were remarkable. The workrate was phenomenal. Horan has to take immense credit here for the attitude but, equally, for a huge attribute for their workrate - Mayo's phenomenal fitness levels. They talked about peaking at this time of year fitness wise, that wasn't idle talk. Add in that some players played well below their best and more made mistakes they won't be happy with and we can take confidence - Kerry will be a step up but we can improve too.

Mayo, we really are unique. Just when you least expect it, boom. They pull it out of the bag. I think another thing worth reflecting on is our defence. We had some arguments on here about the defence post Roscommon and there were concerns in the first fifteen minutes yesterday but, by the game's end, each Mayo defender was dominant on their opponent. We've conceded a combined total of four points in the last three second halves. Phenomenal.

On a different matter, there appears to be a clash over the club championship games this weekend. Horan wants them off, the board want them on and the latter appear to be staying firm.

But Sunday was special. Moysider rightly said that this was a game we had to win, strike in the first year and I was thinking that with twenty minutes to go. Heroic failure was not an option and no one knew that more than the players. A long way to go yet but we're All-Ireland contenders now. We'll take that.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

bucko

Delighted with that win yesterday, been a good while since feeling like that after coming out of Croker. Writing here now with the influence of alcohol well gone and having watched the highlights on RTE player. Thought we were going to get steam rolled after 10 mins, but after that the lads were fantastic. On top of all that has been said here, it was also a great sight to see Mayo lads willing to really put their bodies on the line just to win breaks. That, the workrate and determination and a large dash of good football was great to see. Overall a lot of positives and a few small negatives which I'll save for the semi thread. But for now thanks to the players, James Horan and selectors, for a class performance yesterday.