All-Ireland SFC Quarter Final Mayo v Cork

Started by RedandGreenSniper, July 24, 2011, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Sore head this morning, well worth it, what a day in Croke Park

The only point I'd make is regarding AOS, I was of the same opinion as others here that he wasted a lot of ball but all the players I talked to yesterday picked him out, without fail, and I think it comes down to the hit on O'leary, he fuckin buried him and laid down a marker, we weren't going to be rolled over

Backed mayo at 6-1 at half time, ridiculous odds when we were 2 points down
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

squire_in_navy_slacks

Fair play to mayo, ye did a great thing yesterday and put cork in their place.......................dont let that be your only day in the sun lads  ;)

I actually recorded the game yesterday as it was the young lads birthday.........................no texts or winks were issued during the day to confirm the score...............................sat down after cleaning up last night and was left gobsmacked by the display

cuconnacht

An absolutely brilliant result.Moran was astounding yesterday,he upped another level with his shot and pass selection and macnificent workrate,and Mortimer was a fearless hound terrorising any rebel jersey  within his grasp.For me the turning point was the response immediately after the second cork goal,fennelly had the ball out and kicked before the green flag was lowered as if if to say "no way, this games belongs to us" and moran fires over an automatic response.I rolled up me sleeves and said to the connacht men with me theres going to be a fight here and so it was as bravery displayed itself in every quarter of the field to the final whistle.Those proud men of the heather county gave a new lustre to mayo football and all us green and red walk two foot taller today.

One swallow does not a summer make said the kerryman next to me,my reply "maybe but isnt it a grand bird.

Good fun this evening,bumping into all me rebel buddies who spent all week fronting me for bets thinking easy money,might hire a photographer for the exchanges.Mhuigeo abu

kevmy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 01, 2011, 11:29:30 AM
Sore head this morning, well worth it, what a day in Croke Park

The only point I'd make is regarding AOS, I was of the same opinion as others here that he wasted a lot of ball but all the players I talked to yesterday picked him out, without fail, and I think it comes down to the hit on O'leary, he fuckin buried him and laid down a marker, we weren't going to be rolled over

Backed mayo at 6-1 at half time, ridiculous odds when we were 2 points down

That hit was a turning point. He got a yellow for it but it was well worth it. We hadn't harried enough up until then and A O'Se showed the way around midfield in those few mins. I agree he done a couple of stupid things with the ball and needs to work on those but his work rate was unbelievable y'day.
Also for the 2nd goal Caff was just as much at fault coming of his man to get an interception and missing it leaving his man free when really there was no need to go for the ball.

Overall we played well, worked hard and hit like I've never seen a Mayo team do before. We have a bit of improvement to do in the forward line for the Kerry game as we left a few points behind us.

I was not impressed with Kerry y'day. Limerick didn't show up and still missed an easy 1-3 before Kerry got the goal. Kerry's midfield is untested and Brosnan is a weak link at CB. Also it looked like Darran O'Sullivan picked up a serious enough injury. But with Galvin and T O'Se back and the best forward unit in Ireland they will still be undoubted favourites.

spectator

Very impressive display from Mayo. Recovered well from a tentative opening and got to grips at midfield, then started laying into Cork, especially AOS. Great drive from there to the finish to keep Cork living off scraps. Horan has certainly brought grit and toughness to Mayo, both mentally and physically. Kerry with their ageing defence and suspect midfield are vulnerable I reckon, if Mayo stay grounded. Best of Luck Mayo.

Bud Wiser

In my pub last night sitting at the bar the conversation between myself and a Rossie went like this.
B.W. ;  Jaze, that was a great win for Mayo.
Rossie; Feck them anyway, they are after taking the county hospital off us, they are after taking the Connaught Final off us and now they are in the A.I.F. Semi-Final.
B.W.; I'd say there was not one other county that would begrudge them todays win all the same, I was delighted for them anyway.......
(Now this is when the Cork man, without being asked his opinion stood in between where we were sitting at the bar to educate us)
Corkonian; "Well that was a disgrace from Counihan, he threw the match away.
B.W.; "What are you talking about, if its todays game then Mayo were better by far"
Corkonian; "It doesn't matter, Kerry will walk through them, they only won because Counihan threw the game away"
B.W. "Tell me this ?  Why the fook is it that any time Cork are bet that ye have to blame the manager, did ye not threathen to shoot one of them one time? Next you will be telling us that it was Frank Murphys fault!"

And that is when the powder keg ignited, and if said Corkman happens to read this may I return the compliments you extended when making your sudden departure  --   Foook you too and your friend that Frank Murphy kept off the team by deliberately changing training to a Wednesday night because he knew he couldn't train on that night.  Cork are history, gone, out of the championship, end of and in terms of accepting defeat Reillers is a walking saint compared with some of the street walkers.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 01, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
In my pub last night sitting at the bar the conversation between myself and a Rossie went like this.
Rossie; Feck them anyway, they are after taking the county hospital off us, they are after taking the Connaught Final off us and now they are in the A.I.F. Semi-Final.
B.W.; I'd say there was not one other county that would begrudge them todays win all the same, I was delighted for them anyway.......
(Now this is when the Cork man, without being asked his opinion stood in between where we were sitting at the bar to educate us)
B.W.; "What are you talking about, if its todays game then Mayo were better by far"
Corkonian; "It doesn't matter, Kerry will walk through them, they only won because Counihan threw the game away"
B.W. "Tell me this ?  Why the fook is it that any time Cork are bet that ye have to blame the manager, did ye not threathen to shoot one of them one time? Next you will be telling us that it was Frank Murphys fault!"

And that is when the powder keg ignited, and if said Corkman happens to read this may I return the compliments you extended when making your sudden departure  --   Foook you too and your friend that Frank Murphy kept off the team by deliberately changing training to a Wednesday night because he knew he couldn't train on that night.  Cork are history, gone, out of the championship, end of and in terms of accepting defeat Reillers is a walking saint compared with some of the street walkers.

:D Jaz that Cork lad really got on your nerves.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

orangeman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 01, 2011, 02:44:16 PM

And that is when the powder keg ignited, and if said Corkman happens to read this may I return the compliments you extended when making your sudden departure  --  Foook you too and your friend that Frank Murphy kept off the team by deliberately changing training to a Wednesday night because he knew he couldn't train on that night.  Cork are history, gone, out of the championship, end of and in terms of accepting defeat Reillers is a walking saint compared with some of the street walkers.

Another contender for post of the year !! Class stuff Bud.

Tubberman

Being a Mayo football supporter is a drug - an irrepressible, sometimes cruel, sometimes exhilerating drug.
Walking out of Croke Park yesterday in the mist, I said to one of the lads "Just when I thought the buzz was going out of following Mayo, they do this".
We go through bad days, we don't credit when we think we deserve it, we lose the run of ourselves when we actually put in decent performances. We sit there and listen to Spillane and Brolly sniggering at the state of us, and we have to bite the tongue.
The answer to those boys came yesterday - a performance full of confidence, committment and intelligence. Pride restored, and the summer's not over yet.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Massive result yesterday, despite the small crowd (< 23k apparently), there was some noise when Mayo started moving.

Plenty of things to improve on but JH and the team can enjoy this one for now.

Farrandeelin

Oh what can one say, Christ it's nearly 24 hours after throw in and I'm still delira about the win. Yesterday morning I was hoping they'd put up a good performance and not let Cork run through us like they did against Down. I certainly wasn't expecting a win however.

Hats off to all the Mayo team and panel and JH who's doing a good job (actually great job) with the rubble he had to take over from, Longford and Sligo last year.

Defensively got stuck in in the second half, couldn't fault any of them. Midfielders dominated possession all through and the forwards were absolutely immense as well. I thought it was going to be the same old story until McLoughlin fired the bullet of a shot into the net. Jesus it was a great goal.

Just also want to say thanks to all on here who wished us well from other counties. We definitely made lots of noise yesterday in Croker. I'm so so happy that went. Tubberman is correct. Mayo following is a drug, and it's performances like yesterday that make it so bloody addictive!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

What i said after the Mayo v Galway game.

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 05:54:24 PM
I always believed that London game would be a blessing in disguise! it's going to take a good team to beat them now.

I still believe this but the question is will Kerry be that good team?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bud Wiser

Just looking back through some of the posts and its great to see a strong contingent of Mayo supporters resuming their positions on the board/field of play.

Aye, orangeman, he said (I think it was his brother) that was kept off the team by Frank Murphy because he changed training to the night he had to work, and he banging the counter with his fist (in the wrong pub) and then he started roaring "Foook you, fooook you fook you and Frank Murphy....

The old Sligo man beside me that trains the greyhounds had it bang on, he said "Everyone though once England took Mayo to extra time that they were no use, the same happened to us (Sligo) one year, we had to go over and bate America and then come back and play Mayo and after all that sez he, after batin America and Mayo they wanted us to play a team that were after been knocked out of the championship that were been given a second go though a side door" and me looking at yer man nearly eating the glass instead of drinking the pint out of it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on August 01, 2011, 04:02:30 PM
What i said after the Mayo v Galway game.

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 05:54:24 PM
I always believed that London game would be a blessing in disguise! it's going to take a good team to beat them now.

I still believe this but the question is will Kerry be that good team?

Even if we do beat Kerry, and its a big if. Donegal, Dublin and Tryone are seruious opposition for Mayo. Back of the pack is about or correct position and Paddy Powers agree.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Frank Casey

Well done Mayo. Stayed on to watch the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kerry will be well advised to learn from the lesson that Cork received yesterday.
KERRY 3:7