Gaaboard team of the last 25 years

Started by ONeill, July 21, 2011, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

There needs to be atleast one McGourty on the team!

oakleafgael

Quote from: HiMucker on July 22, 2011, 01:44:04 PM
There needs to be atleast one McGourty on the team!

Brendan Crossan is working on it as we speak.

Stevie g 8

padraig joyce should be on it,cluxton would also have a strong case,the gooch is a certainty

Kerry Mike

QuoteId have Greg Blaney in before McGuigan, Giles or Tompkins

It would have been nice to have the smaller counties like Wicklow, Kildare and Cork represented on the team but Larry Tompkins has had to withdraw his name due to a sudden attack of sun burn on his ankles  :D

There will have to be at least 2 O'Se brothers on any team of the last 25 years !

Kerry to be represented by Moynihan, Tomas, Darragh, Cooper, Maurice and Declan O'Sullivan would be a close call too !
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

southdown

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on July 22, 2011, 02:08:55 PM
padraig joyce should be on it,cluxton would also have a strong case,the gooch is a certainty

I fail to see why there is so much hype about cluxton

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Mayo are a failed entity in the last 25 years, so just as well there's nobody from the county on the team.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: southdown on July 22, 2011, 02:24:01 PM
Quote from: Stevie g 8 on July 22, 2011, 02:08:55 PM

I fail to see why there is so much hype about cluxton

[size=9]+[/size]
MWWSI 2017

NP 76

Agree with Whitegoodman Blaney at 11 with Giles and Fitzgerald on the wing . Daragh O Se would have to start at mid field would he not .  Apart from that a good side

PAULD123

Starting with the easiest position I would say midfield has two outstanding candidates. Anthony Tohill was a phenomenon and I can't imagine a single team in history that he wouldn't get in to. Next to him the one player in eh last ten years or so that never seemed to lose a midfield battle was Darragh O Se.

So I'd defo have Tohill & O Se as the two midfielders.

blanketattack

'91 to '11

S Cluxton,
M Ó Sé, D Fay, M O'Connell
S Moynihan, K McGeeney, T Ó Sé
       D Ó Sé , A Tohill,
M Fitzgerald, S Cavanagh, P Joyce,
C Cooper, P Canavan, M Linden

Jinxy

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 22, 2011, 02:43:58 PM
Starting with the easiest position I would say midfield has two outstanding candidates. Anthony Tohill was a phenomenon and I can't imagine a single team in history that he wouldn't get in to. Next to him the one player in eh last ten years or so that never seemed to lose a midfield battle was Darragh O Se.

Darragh O'Sé only came into his own when the likes of McDermott, Tohill, Walsh, Stynes, Buckley, McHale etc. were in their twilight years or gone altogether.
If you put Darragh in his prime up against John McDermott or Tohill he wouldn't catch a single ball.
He played his best football in an era where the midfield landscape changed considerably as the nordies started flooding it with bodies.
More often than not Darragh just had to battle swarms of angry midgets (you know who you are).

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

Darragh O'Sé only came into his own when the likes of McDermott, Tohill, Walsh, Stynes, Buckley, McHale etc. were in their twilight years or gone altogether.
If you put Darragh in his prime up against John McDermott or Tohill he wouldn't catch a single ball.
He played his best football in an era where the midfield landscape changed considerably as the nordies started flooding it with bodies.
More often than not Darragh just had to battle swarms of angry midgets (you know who you are).

:D :D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

blanketattack

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

I think up until Galway emerged in the late 90s, most of the 90s were poor Gaelic Football wise. It was post Kerry, Cork, Meath and Dublin's great teams. Looking at some All-Ireland winners, Dublin scraped past Tyrone, Meath and Kerry scraped past Mayo, Donegal won in '92 and never really registered on the big stage before or since. Mayo were within a bouncing ball of winning the All-Ireland FFS!
Only twice in the 90s did the winning team get more than 15 scores compared to 8 timesin the 00s. The 90s were much slower. Midfielders had much more time and space to catch a ball. The 00s were much faster: in attack, in defense, reacting to midfield breaks, etc.
John McDermott shown bright in the 90s but it's easier to shine bright in a dimly lit sky. That was an easier era than Darragh Ó Sé faced. McDermott didn't have 6 lads waiting for him when he landed. Darragh had it all: the fielding, be it in midfield or under the crossbar, the playmaker, chipping in with a point or two, sometimes with his left foot, sometimes with the right, the goto guy when the team were up against it.
It's not like Darragh Ó Sé didn't face great midfielders in the 00s: McGrane, Murphy, Cavanagh, Walsh, Whelan, etc.
81 c'ship appearances, all at midfield. 6 All-Ireland medals to his name, that's only 1 less than Meath have won in 125 years. Winning 6 All-Ireland medals isn't easy you know.
In summary Darragh is much more worthy of a place on the team that John McDermott.
yours sincerely,
Mrs. Ó Sé

Jinxy

Back-door all-irelands shouldn't count.
Football in the 90's was great.
Men were men and there was no rolling around trying to get lads put off.
The game was played hard but fair.
That's why we were so successful.
Then along came puke football and we just lost interest.
-The End-