We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 05:46:22 PM
If I name a candidate it becomes merely subjective and easy to rubbish.

However, what I am looking at is the premise that no Connacht player can be considered a serious All-Star candidate unless their team win a Q/F. I believe there consensus among most observers here, and almost certainly in the media, that this would be the case.

Well Mayo won their quarter-final against Cork on Sunday I do believe :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

passedit

Barring major meltdowns in the semi finals Mc Gee and Lacey are nailed on* along with Andy Moran. 12 positions still up for grabs.

*Using standard all star selection formula
Don't Panic

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 02, 2011, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 05:46:22 PM
If I name a candidate it becomes merely subjective and easy to rubbish.

However, what I am looking at is the premise that no Connacht player can be considered a serious All-Star candidate unless their team win a Q/F. I believe there consensus among most observers here, and almost certainly in the media, that this would be the case.

Well Mayo won their quarter-final against Cork on Sunday I do believe :)

Andy Moran should get one now if you beat Kerry expect many more.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Who will get Gooches All-Star if his form doesn't pick up?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

passedit

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2011, 08:35:42 PM
Who will get Gooches All-Star if his form doesn't pick up?

If Mayo beat them, Cillian O Connor will get it, if not he'll get it anyway. (See aforementioned formula).
Don't Panic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Cluxton, Lacey, Bolton, Cassidy, Marc O'Sé, Kavanagh,Alan Brogan,Peter Harte, Darran/Declan O'Sullivan, Jamie Clarke, Andy Moran all very much in contention, but its the remaining games, starting next Saturday that will be the real judging ground for Allstars.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Milltown Row2

If you're picking an All Star team the rule should be no players from your own county. Let other posters deem them good enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PAULD123

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2011, 07:39:34 AM
If you're picking an All Star team the rule should be no players from your own county. Let other posters deem them good enough

I disagree with that. You are entitled to praise and highlight your admiration, it's up to others to choose to agree or disagree. Any All-0star selection will defo end up having Kerry players in it, so you are suggesting Kerry posters would have to select a team that they and everyone else knows is wrong. It makes no sense to deliberately exclude a stand out player just because you were born in the same county as him.

However, this year so far, I don't think there have been any obvious stand out players. By this stage last year Bernard Brogan was on fire, Johnny Doyle was knocking them over for fun, Marty Clarke was giving masterclass displays in passing, McVeigh was stopping everything coming his way, and Michael Shields was dominating every opponent that came within five yards of him. I'd say by the time of the semi-finals last year you could have named around ten of the eventual All-Stars, I'm not sure you could say the same this year.

sheamy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 03, 2011, 03:20:08 AM
Cluxton, Lacey, Bolton, Cassidy, Marc O'Sé, Kavanagh,Alan Brogan,Peter Harte, Darran/Declan O'Sullivan, Jamie Clarke, Andy Moran all very much in contention, but its the remaining games, starting next Saturday that will be the real judging ground for Allstars.

Why Jamie Clarke?

blanketattack

Kerry won't win any if they lose the semi-final unless Darren O'Sullivan plays well in defeat then he'd still have a half-chance of winning one.

swing-er-over

certainly agree with lacey and mcgee....shoe ins at the moment. Id also propose that Karl Lacey may win footballer of the year................

nrico2006

Conor Gormley has been outstanding this year, and big Joe McMahon has notbeen far behind him either.  Jamie Clarke definitely deserves consideration.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

If Dublin lose on Saturday we will get no Allstars and rightly so.

AI winners usually get 5/7, AI losers 3/4, AISF losers 1/2 each (barring a complete hammering in the AIF when a team that ran the eventual winners close in the semis can get 2/4).

All up for grabs from now on.

Wee Roddy

Mickey's decison to not talk to RTE will haunt Tyrone in this respect. I feel they will have to win the All Ireland to get any all stars now.
At this stage of the year if Tyrone did win it then Joe McMahon, Gormley and Jordan would be nialled on.

sheamy

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2011, 10:38:47 AM
Conor Gormley has been outstanding this year, and big Joe McMahon has notbeen far behind him either.  Jamie Clarke definitely deserves consideration.

Why? played well v down, snuffed out of it against both Derry and Tyrone and played Wicklow twice. I don't get it.