We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2011, 01:16:10 PM
He could run for president?
It could be between the shot stopper and the sharpshooter!

Mayo4Sam

Am I the only one who thought Cluxton had a stinker of a final? Three kick outs in a row were straight to Kerry and even 2 v 1 where the Kerry lads didn't even have to catch. For me he was single handedly giving Kerry the match in the second half. Fair play to him for the free but if that's ur criteria it should be McMenamin, effectively won the semi & the final.
For me Cluxton played himself out of an all-star and Kealy played himself into it.

Cue the slating for daring to suggest St. Stephen had a bad game!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 20, 2011, 06:22:46 PM
Am I the only one who thought Cluxton had a stinker of a final? Three kick outs in a row were straight to Kerry and even 2 v 1 where the Kerry lads didn't even have to catch. For me he was single handedly giving Kerry the match in the second half. Fair play to him for the free but if that's ur criteria it should be McMenamin, effectively won the semi & the final.
For me Cluxton played himself out of an all-star and Kealy played himself into it.

A friend of mine who was sitting in the lower canal in the 2nd half, said he was shrugging his shoulders and throwing his hands up in the air a few times after kickouts that went astray.

Orangemac

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 20, 2011, 06:22:46 PM

Agree with this Mayo4Sam. Fair play to him for sticking over that free but he is getting undue credit for a reasonably simple score (albeit there was serious pressure). If Brogan or Sheehan had scored it there wouldn't be the same fuss.

When it came down to his day job he had no saves of note to make in either final or semi final. In fact if Dublin had not got that goal any rational analysis would pinpoint Dubln losing 4/5 kick outs in a row midway through the 2nd half as the losing of the game.

Tubberman

Opel GAA/GPA All Star Nominations Breakdown:
Dublin 12
Kerry 9
Donegal 7
Mayo 5
Kildare 5
Cork 3
Tyrone 2
Wexford 1
Derry 1
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sammymaguire

Quote from: Tubberman on October 04, 2011, 01:35:28 PM
Opel GAA/GPA All Star Nominations Breakdown:
Dublin 12
Kerry 9
Donegal 7
Mayo 5
Kildare 5
Cork 3
Tyrone 2
Wexford 1
Derry 1

7 Donegal men, surely not for their puke football style of play?   :P
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

muppet

Michael Murphy nominated as a defender ffs! *

* may in fact be as far from the truth as he was from the opposition goals
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

And now the full list:

Goalkeepers: Brendan Kealy (Kerry), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Paul Durkan (Donegal).

Full Backs: Michael Foley (Kildare), Neil McGee (Donegal), Frank McGlynn (Donegal), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry), Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Hugh McGrillen (Kildare), Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin).

Half backs: Karl Lacey (Donegal), Donal Vaughan (Mayo), Trevor Mortimer (Mayo), Kevin Nolan (Dublin), Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry), Killian Young (Kerry), Ger Brennan (Dublin).

Midfielders: Bryan Sheehan (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Alan O'Connor (Cork), Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), John Doyle (Kildare), Denis Bastick (Dublin).

Half Forwards: Ben Brosnan (Wexford), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry), Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Paul Flynn (Dublin), Alan Dillon (Mayo), Kevin McManamon (Dublin), Paddy Kelly (Cork), Eamonn Callaghan (Kildare).

Full forwards: Donnacha O'Connor (Cork), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Colm McFadden (Donegal), Eoin Bradley (Derry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

screenexile

Cluxton
McGlynn, O'Se, McGrillen
Cassidy, Lacey, Young
Sheehan, Doyle
Brogan, Darran O'Sullivan, Brosnan
Cooper, Moran, Brogan

If it were me I would have McManamon in the HF line but I doubt they would give one to someone who was a sub for a long part of the season. He did have a lot of impact though.

J70

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2011, 02:05:13 PM
Michael Murphy nominated as a defender ffs! *

* may in fact be as far from the truth as he was from the opposition goals

He actually played full forward in most of the games (can't remember the Antrim one). People really are getting carried away with the Dublin game.

muppet

At the Cork game I was laughing at a couple of Cork lads who kept shouted 'skin him, skin him' at Paul Kerrigan every time he got the ball and couldn't figure out 'why de feck isn't he skinning him?'. Darran O'Sullivan (first couple of minutes accepted) is another whose skinning ability was severely restricted.

But no Keith Higgins.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

I thought Dublin's #5 was their best half back this year and he's the only one of them not to get a nomination.

I guess a lot of the nominations are to be expected. Not sure about Joe McMahon or maybe Killian Young mind.

macdanger2

How did Dillon get nominated?

One of Mayo's most talented footballers but I thought he had a very average year. I would have Kevin McLoughlin in ahead of him from Mayo alone.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2011, 03:20:36 PM
I thought Dublin's #5 was their best half back this year and he's the only one of them not to get a nomination.

I guess a lot of the nominations are to be expected. Not sure about Joe McMahon or maybe Killian Young mind.
joe mcmahon gave probably the best fullback display of the year against armagh.
not in running for an actuall allstar but definatly worthy of nomination
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2011, 02:30:19 PM
Cluxton
McGlynn, O'Se, McGrillen
Cassidy, Lacey, Young
Sheehan, Doyle
Brogan, Darran O'Sullivan, Brosnan
Cooper, Moran, Brogan

If it were me I would have McManamon in the HF line but I doubt they would give one to someone who was a sub for a long part of the season. He did have a lot of impact though.

5 Kerryman and only 3 for the gym monkeys? Do you actually believe that team will be picked ot are you just trying to get Indiana going again?