We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: blast05 on August 10, 2011, 02:30:39 PM
At all times, the player who is not contesting the ball with the full forward quickly drops back to the goal area .... and if he has to act as goalkeeper until the next break in play or whenever then so be it.

So on occasion a full-forward will be getting marked by a goalie and a back will be in goals? I'd love that if I was a forward - it'd be fairly easy to beat a back who's not used to tackling and score a goal past a goalie not used to diving.

By the way, the goalie would also need to wear a jersey so he can be identified as the player that can't be shoulder-charged.

blast05

Quote from: blanketattack on August 10, 2011, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: blast05 on August 10, 2011, 02:30:39 PM
At all times, the player who is not contesting the ball with the full forward quickly drops back to the goal area .... and if he has to act as goalkeeper until the next break in play or whenever then so be it.

So on occasion a full-forward will be getting marked by a goalie and a back will be in goals? I'd love that if I was a forward - it'd be fairly easy to beat a back who's not used to tackling and score a goal past a goalie not used to diving.

By the way, the goalie would also need to wear a jersey so he can be identified as the player that can't be shoulder-charged.

I think you are missing the spirit of what i am suggesting. You would have 7 defenders - all of them skilled at tackling, comfortable on the ball (although i'm not so sure too many teams can tick the box of saying they have 6 defenders that can do this never mind 7!) and 1 of them with an additional skill set being able to pop a kick out 50 yards from a 2 step run-up to whoever is in most space or is running on to the ball (or alternatively just wallop it down the middle  ::)  )
By the way, what is a tackle ?!

donegal lad

Karl lacey is now available at 14/1 for player of the year think il put something on him at that price he has been the best defender in the country this year

Bogball XV

Quote from: donegal lad on August 11, 2011, 11:54:01 AM
Karl lacey is now available at 14/1 for player of the year think il put something on him at that price he has been the best defender in the country this year
well it's better value than backing donegal for the all ireland as he could still win even if they lose in the final - they have to beat the dubs though as it's practically unprecedented for a player to win who only made the semi-final ;)

orchard 8195

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 12:02:49 PM
well it's better value than backing donegal for the all ireland as he could still win even if they lose in the final - they have to beat the dubs though as it's practically unprecedented for a player to win who only made the semi-final ;)
Sure did brogan not win it last year?

Bogball XV

Quote from: orchard 8195 on August 11, 2011, 12:08:54 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 12:02:49 PM
Sure did brogan not win it last year?
Aye, but the dubs won the all ireland last year didn't they (or at least played in the real final)?  Maybe last year was more about the esteem in which Cork have been held by most pundits and fans.

The Burner

Quote from: blast05 on August 09, 2011, 04:58:35 PM
In terms of the importance of the various parts of a keepers game to the overall makeup of a keeper, i would rate:
40% on kickouts.
20% for communicator, organiser, leader, motivator etc to the backs.
15% for playing as a sweeper.
15% for ability to deal with a high ball.
10% on shot-stopper

Cluxton is by a country mile the best on the kickouts. The amount of keepers that just bang it down the middle is shocking .... and even when they do direct it involves a huge change in their run up - so much so that any outfielder play would be able to read it and cover 40 yards to where they expect the kickout will land (think the Cork keeper here or McConnell). As an aisde .... how long before we see a keeper confident enough to kick it out with either foot .... the tee has been used for a good few years now and i would have expected this to have happened before now.
Masterson is the best as a sweeper (sure enough he plays his club football in midfield.
For communicator, organiser, motivator etc i think Gary Connaughton would be best.
High ball ...... again Gary Connaughton but i can recall a mistake or 2 cos of being over-ambitious. Robert Hennelly may prove to be good on this on in time.
Shot stopper.... leave that to others to debate. I don't think its that important, moreso given that i think there isn't a whole lot between most top keepers on this one anyway. Some keepers are forced into action on this one more than others and thus get a reputation as good shot stoppers.

I don't particularly rate McConnell (completely 1-dimensional on kickouts) nor did i ever think much of Murphy (average keeper on a great team - had an opportunity to make 2 or 3 saves in high profile games throughout his career and is remembered cos of it) while David Clarkes kick outs were and are atrocious for this level .... yes, he can kick them long but just pray there isn't a wind. If he had been playing in the Connacht final, some of his kickouts into the wind would have been liable to end up as 'own points' !

All in ...... Cluxton or Masterson for me.

Christ above.. So 55% of a goalkeepers game is on Kickouts and playing as a sweeper. Answer me this have you ever actually played in goals? The goalkeepers primary job is to try keep a big fat 0 on the left handside of the score board. To do this you need to be excellent under a high ball (25%), A good organiser and good communicator(20%) and a good shot stopper (25%). Distribution (including kickouts) 25%. The final 5% is ability to handle pressure. Playing as a sweeper has fck all got to do with being a top class goalie. Masterson might like to come out othe field and show off but at the end of the day if he could have caught a high ball in the Leinster final Wexford could have been Leinster champions. best goalkeeper is Cluxton although no one could complain if Durkan got it because he hasnt conceded a goal yet. Honourable mention to the laois goalie Culleton i think who was unreal verses Dublin

ballinaman

From the Bunker

Canalman

Andy Moran a dead cert for Mayo. No one else from Mayo this year after today.

As for Kerry alot are just plodding along and AIF will decide the fates of 5/6 of them. Cooper and O'Sullivan (Dec ) both certainties, with Darran O'Sullivan probably there.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Moran deffo for Mayo..........Mortimer may get a mention

Certs for kerry gooch, dec osullivan, maybe sheehan.....................

Sam2011

Andy Moran should defo be in with a shout. Would love to see Trevor Mort get one. Don't know if he will after today though! Cillian O'Connor might have a chance for young player of the year!

Mayo4Sam

With us gone I think we've a air chance at three with andy Moran guaranteed and possibly Donie vaughan and cillian o'connor possibles
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

kevmy

Andy Moran deserves one.

Cillian O'Connor has a chance at Young Player of the Year.

T Mort has a shot - mainly based on a lack of outstanding wing backs and the bit of sentimentality that sometimes comes into play. If he does get one it would mean all three Morts would have an All-Star.

After that I don't think any other Mayo player played consistently enough to get one (bar Kevin McLoughlin possibly)

Canalman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2011, 05:13:42 PM
With us gone I think we've a air chance at three with andy Moran guaranteed and possibly Donie vaughan and cillian o'connor possibles

Just the one I think going on what recent losing AISFs got. Dublin and Kildare only got the one each last year despite losiing by a point each.