Job Interviews

Started by illdecide, July 17, 2011, 09:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Folks, i have a job interview tomorrow and i would appreciate some help or tips any of you could throw my way. I wouldn't count myself as a nervous guy so that's not worrying so if i got a we bit of extra advise of say the format for these interviews and the type of key words they panel will be listening for...

(the job is a technical job with NIHE)

illdecide
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

el_cuervo_fc

I had an interview with them before for a planning position.  The interview was split into two distinct categories. The first was professional and technical competence in relation to the job, the second was the usual oul shite...... Give examples of how you can work as part of a team and on your own; working to a deadline; dealing with a colleague who wasn't pulling their weight; dealing with pressure; stengths and weaknesses. It's always handy to have a few broad examples that you can relate to different situations.

I might actually have one of the booklets lying around somewhere with the scoring system

The Worker

think of example answers for questions you can pre-empt, judging from the job spec. try and use situations you have encountered in the workplace before, how you overcame the problems, and what you learnt from this.

Tony Baloney

I've been interviewing people over the past few weeks and the one thing you must do is learn the essential and desirable criteria for the job and target answers towards those criteria. You're obviously on your own with the technical stuff.

As the other lads have said think now about your answers, do them in bullet points and ensure you build in the essential criteria. Be succinct and specific in your answers and make sure you hit the target by getting your bullet points in. There should be no excuse for not having answers for the usual questions.

illdecide

Eamonnca1

Haven't had a job interview in a while but I swear by a book called Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions. Always worth a read in the days leading up to an interview, gives you a great confidence boost when you go in armed with answers to all the standard HR questions at least. ("Where do you see yourself in five years time" etc.)

lurganblue

Good luck fella. Just don't be yourself and you'll be grand  :P

Gaffer

Quote from: lurganblue on July 18, 2011, 08:29:18 AM

Good luck today !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

illdecide

Quote from: lurganblue on July 18, 2011, 08:29:18 AM

Easy you... :D

Went today and done ok although afterwards you say "why didn't say this or that" but in general i think it went fairly well. The problem now is will the hundred (or prob thousands) that went for the job have more qualifications and experience...time will tell

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2011, 09:33:02 PM
Folks, i have a job interview tomorrow and i would appreciate some help or tips any of you could throw my way. I wouldn't count myself as a nervous guy so that's not worrying so if i got a we bit of extra advise of say the format for these interviews and the type of key words they panel will be listening for...

(the job is a technical job with NIHE)

illdecide

NIHE?
Turn up late or not at all. Show no interest in anything. Absolutely be unable to spell, add or compose a coherent sentence.
You'll be a shoe in.
If its a technical job...and they ask , what would you do if ..... , your reply is ALWAYS ...oh thats a sub-contractor issue.