Hardcore Puke Football

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, July 17, 2011, 05:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Anton O'Toole was considered one of the greats of that era and he couldn't even solo the ball properly.
TG4 has done more to debunk Spillanes misty-eyed delusions about football in the good old days than I ever could.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2011, 12:59:57 PM
Anton O'Toole was considered one of the greats of that era and he couldn't even solo the ball properly.
TG4 has done more to debunk Spillanes misty-eyed delusions about football in the good old days than I ever could.

Big Joe couldn't drop the ball onto his foot.

*makes a run for it*
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

Anyone read the back page of the Gaelic life this week
Brolly has a lot of praise for Jim McGuinness and his system of play.
He makes a few very interesting points & seems to think they'll be hard to beat

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 22, 2011, 11:05:59 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 22, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
These debates about the 'team of the 70s would be hammered/would hammer the team of the 10's' are pointless, but good craic.

I'm sure if a timemachine was invented, and the poor bewildered Kerry men were lifted en masse and dropped into Croke Park to face Kerry 2011, Dublin 2011 or Down 2011, they'd be blown away by the fitness and pace of the game.

But that's an unfair premise. I think if the same timemachine dropped the equally bewildered Kerry 2011 back into 1978, they'd be blown away by the physical nature of the games.

The only way this could be even a logical debate is if you compare the skills of the players from both those eras, and then apply the tangential factors like preparation, tactics etc as a flat factor across both teams. Then it becomes an interesting topic, and I think that while the outcomes can be debated, the good teams today would not be blown away by the good teams of the 70s, or 60s, 50s or whenever, but neither would the players of those eras be out of their depth if exposed to the same routines today.

It's good craic though. I'd love to see a 23 year old Jack O'Shea contesting a ball in midfield with Sean Cavanagh.

Good post, AZ.
The point I'm trying to hammer into that poor, befuddled Kerry sod is that a modern referee wouldn't tolerate the dunts and the elbows and general pulling and dragging that passed for football in them days.
That's the only fact I would take for granted—attempting to match up players then and now is great craic but is ultimately pointless.

So your whole premise is that the Dublin and Kerry teams of the 70's/80's would not be able to adapt to the toned down physicality of the modern game ? What extra damage do you think more gifted players (your words) could do if they knew they wouldnt have the head taken off them at any moment.

The only "sod" here is you I am afraid. Christ you Mayo lads are as flakey at the auld analysis as you are on the football pitch.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: boojangles on July 22, 2011, 11:53:22 AM
Give me the 2nd half of this years Ulster Final to the 2nd half of this years Munster Final any day.

you can have it..nobody else would want it.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2011, 12:59:57 PM

I suppose its like the myth about the Meath team of the 80's being "hard". They probably wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes against the Kerry or Dublin teams of the 70's/80's, especially Dublin.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2011, 07:41:10 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 22, 2011, 11:05:59 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 22, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
These debates about the 'team of the 70s would be hammered/would hammer the team of the 10's' are pointless, but good craic.

I'm sure if a timemachine was invented, and the poor bewildered Kerry men were lifted en masse and dropped into Croke Park to face Kerry 2011, Dublin 2011 or Down 2011, they'd be blown away by the fitness and pace of the game.

But that's an unfair premise. I think if the same timemachine dropped the equally bewildered Kerry 2011 back into 1978, they'd be blown away by the physical nature of the games.

The only way this could be even a logical debate is if you compare the skills of the players from both those eras, and then apply the tangential factors like preparation, tactics etc as a flat factor across both teams. Then it becomes an interesting topic, and I think that while the outcomes can be debated, the good teams today would not be blown away by the good teams of the 70s, or 60s, 50s or whenever, but neither would the players of those eras be out of their depth if exposed to the same routines today.

It's good craic though. I'd love to see a 23 year old Jack O'Shea contesting a ball in midfield with Sean Cavanagh.

Good post, AZ.
The point I'm trying to hammer into that poor, befuddled Kerry sod is that a modern referee wouldn't tolerate the dunts and the elbows and general pulling and dragging that passed for football in them days.
That's the only fact I would take for granted—attempting to match up players then and now is great craic but is ultimately pointless.

So your whole premise is that the Dublin and Kerry teams of the 70's/80's would not be able to adapt to the toned down physicality of the modern game ? What extra damage do you think more gifted players (your words) could do if they knew they wouldnt have the head taken off them at any moment.

The only "sod" here is you I am afraid. Christ you Mayo lads are as flakey at the auld analysis as you are on the football pitch.
*sigh*
No, Michael, that is not my premise at all, at all. Not within an asses' roar of it.
Are ye sure there isn't a stray Mayo gene or two in you DNA?
You keep missing the points like a Mayo forward in overdrive.
My point is, was and ever shall be amen that those players would never get a chance "to adapt to the toned down physicality of the modern game."
How could they if a McEneaney or a Coldrick had them red-carded before they got a chance to settle down?  I wonder how they would react to a Martin Sludden.
But that's only surmising and I'm not as obsessed with my auntie's chances of becoming my uncle as you appear to be with yours doing likewise.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mike Sheehy

look, you are just tying yourself in knots,  you started off with a bald statement that those teams could not compete today and then when challenged on it, you say its pointless to make the comparison  ::)

Inconsistency has been a curse of Mayo football down the years. I dont see that changing if you are anything to go by !

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2011, 10:51:30 PM
look, you are just tying yourself in knots,  you started off with a bald statement that those teams could not compete today and then when challenged on it, you say its pointless to make the comparison  ::)

Inconsistency has been a curse of Mayo football down the years. I dont see that changing if you are anything to go by !

Jaysus, Mike, the last time I met someone from Kerry who was as stubborn as you, he had a pair of horns and a tail and was guest of honour at a festival in Killorglin. ;D

Here is my 'bald' statement once again.
Neither Kerry nor Dublin of Spillane's era would have a chance against the top 10 teams of our times- no matter what Auntie Pat may say.
For starters, most of them could expect a red card before the game was 10 minutes old.

The biteen in bold is the hub of my argument. I even gave a link to the Mickey Ned incident to support my claim.
In case you've missed it, here it is one more time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw
Do you think a modern day referee would tolerate the dangerous tackling to be seen in that video clip? A straight 'yes' or 'no' will do nicely.
Cut out the BS about training intensity etc. or asking me
"are you saying that for each player on the Kerry or Dublin team of that era , if you were to compare them against their conterparts on , say, the Kildare or Down teams that they are worse footballers ?"
I never made any such claim. There's one helluva gap between stating that a ref today wouldn't tolerate the carry-on in the Mickey Ned clip and claiming that each and every players on those Dublin and Kerry players were worse footballers than their counterparts on the present Down and Kildare sides.

BTW. I take back what I said at the start about your good self and the bucko in Killorglin.

King Puck would have every right to feel offended by any such comparison. ;D

Mike Sheehy

QuoteDo you think a modern day referee would tolerate the dangerous tackling to be seen in that video clip? A straight 'yes' or 'no' will do nicely.

Well, while we are on the subject, who said the ref has to be from the modern era ?

I think your stance is beyond stubborn and is , in fact, plain silly. Its a silly as saying that they wouldnt have a chance because they are all in their 60's now. Its a hypothetical argument ffs...you can't approach it so literally ! I'll bet you are great craic in the pub.

Mikey:  Jaysus, wouldn't it be great if we could get a pint at 1960's prices Lar ?
Lar (glumy): I'm afraid it would have evaporated a long time ago my goatlike friend
Mikey: Well, I didnt mean.......Ah, forget it....(pauses) I'll tell you what,  lets imagine we could travel back in time instead and...
Lar (interrupting): They would not take our Euros as they would be worthless back then
Mikey:  (to barman) double scotch...actually, just bring me the bottle.......

Tatler Jack

Mike your about 10 points behind Lar in the verbal jousting and facing in to the wind for the second half.

In the same way as I doubt your football skills are as as silken as your namesake you also are no John B Keane or Bryan McMahon.

Take my advice and get out while your behind!!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 23, 2011, 04:17:44 AM
QuoteDo you think a modern day referee would tolerate the dangerous tackling to be seen in that video clip? A straight 'yes' or 'no' will do nicely.

Well, while we are on the subject, who said the ref has to be from the modern era ?

I think your stance is beyond stubborn and is , in fact, plain silly. Its a silly as saying that they wouldnt have a chance because they are all in their 60's now. Its a hypothetical argument ffs...you can't approach it so literally ! I'll bet you are great craic in the pub.

Mikey:  Jaysus, wouldn't it be great if we could get a pint at 1960's prices Lar ?
Lar (glumy): I'm afraid it would have evaporated a long time ago my goatlike friend
Mikey: Well, I didnt mean.......Ah, forget it....(pauses) I'll tell you what,  lets imagine we could travel back in time instead and...
Lar (interrupting): They would not take our Euros as they would be worthless back then
Mikey:  (to barman) double scotch...actually, just bring me the bottle.......

Mike, a chara dhílis,
I got news for you....

You already got the bottle, the last bleddy one in the shop at that. The barman says he appreciates your custom as you've consumed enough to keep a distillery working overtime for a week but he's obviously fed up with your behaviour.
I can't blame him because you've insisted on speaking through your anal orifice since we came in. He tells me he's met customers who do the same from time to time but he won't put up with those who use their gobs to spew tail end product all over the place.
It's time to return to where you came from my (very) goatlike friend; your time machine is waiting outside the door.

ONeill

If you ever get that time machine sorted give us a shout.

I wouldn't mind going back to 1986, Canal End, and gulder 'low and hard' to Kevin McCabe.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Tatler Jack on July 23, 2011, 09:58:52 AM
Mike your about 10 points behind Lar in the verbal jousting and facing in to the wind for the second half.

In the same way as I doubt your football skills are as as silken as your namesake you also are no John B Keane or Bryan McMahon.

Take my advice and get out while your behind!!!

On the contrary, Lar Naparka made a stupid point. I called him on it and then he obviously got very sore about it. Thats all thats happened here. You revisionists are a very sensitive bunch.

Frank Casey

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2011, 12:18:53 PM
If you ever get that time machine sorted give us a shout.

I wouldn't mind going back to 1986, Canal End, and gulder 'low and hard' to Kevin McCabe.

I'd have thought that we all the heartache ye gave us in the last 8 years that you'd not be worried about that one any more...............now remind me were we 7 down at half time and won by 8 or was it the other way round ;D
KERRY 3:7